Deleting/renaming/replacing root files

I posted about my difficulties in making a program work after shifting
to xp from 98se (Drag and View).

I had to go to safe mode to do any changing and that worked only after I
changed the name of the file and put its replacement into the same
folder while in safe mode. Then I deleted the file and rebooted and that
got rid of the file.

I was told that it is difficult to rename or delete root memory files in
win xp and was fortunate that what I did worked. Is it, or is what I did
the way to do it?

In 98 and before, you could use dos to delete obstinate files. Can dos
be used with xp and nfts at bootup to get to files and delete them using
standard dos commands?

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Gordon Abbot <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote:

>I had to go to safe mode to do any changing and that worked only after I
>changed the name of the file and put its replacement into the same
>folder while in safe mode. Then I deleted the file and rebooted and that
>got rid of the file.
>
>I was told that it is difficult to rename or delete root memory files in
>win xp and was fortunate that what I did worked. Is it, or is what I did
>the way to do it?

If you are not able to delete a file in Windows, this is usually due
to that the file is currently in use. It is the normal way to try from
the Safe Mode then because Windows loads only necessary items here, so
it is likely that the file is no longer blocked.

>In 98 and before, you could use dos to delete obstinate files. Can dos
>be used with xp and nfts at bootup to get to files and delete them using
>standard dos commands?

No. But check the Recovery Console: "Description of the Windows XP
Recovery Console" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058).

--
(tm)

Thorsten Matzner wrote:
> Gordon Abbot <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote:
>

>>I had to go to safe mode to do any changing and that worked only after I
>>changed the name of the file and put its replacement into the same
>>folder while in safe mode. Then I deleted the file and rebooted and that
>>got rid of the file.
>>
>>I was told that it is difficult to rename or delete root memory files in
>>win xp and was fortunate that what I did worked. Is it, or is what I did
>>the way to do it?
>

> If you are not able to delete a file in Windows, this is usually due
> to that the file is currently in use. It is the normal way to try from
> the Safe Mode then because Windows loads only necessary items here, so
> it is likely that the file is no longer blocked.
>

>>In 98 and before, you could use dos to delete obstinate files. Can dos
>>be used with xp and nfts at bootup to get to files and delete them using
>>standard dos commands?
>

> No. But check the Recovery Console: "Description of the Windows XP
> Recovery Console" (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314058).

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Gordon Abbot <gabbot@mmo.net> wrote:

>Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

You are welcome.

--