What kind of watercooling solution am I looking for?

dcalfine

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Hey Everyone,
I'm about to break the bank and build myself a new gaming PC. This one will be different from previous ones because I want to water cool it. Unfortunately, this is an area in which I have little experience.

Here's what I'm dealing with:
Intel X6800 (running on a ASUS Striker Extreme)
2x Water-cooled BFG 8800GTX
2x OCZ FlexXLC (4 modules total)

My question is, what kind of rig should I be looking at for water cooling? I'd want eveyrhing to be internal (no hoses running outside the case) and I have 1 (and only one) spare CD 5.25" bay that I could put something in, but I don't know much beyond that. The FlexXLC has 1/4"ID holes, and so does the 8800, but do I need radiators and stuff like that? And, aside from the CPU, would it make sense to put blocks on any of the other chips? Like RAM controller or Northbridge?

Also, what kind of speed increases can I expect from a fully-overclocked yet completely stable water-cooled system compared to stock parts?

Thanks,
David

ouch1

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Well the biggest issue is the connecting of the BFG cards into the loop since they use a 1/4" connector and most aftermarket VGA blocks use either 1/2' or 3/8" barbs. But I have found a watercooling kit that fits internally (except the radiator) and has splitters included that have 1/4" connectors on them. Here is it:
Gigabyte 3D Galaxy II
I saw it on newegg.com for $169 so it is worth it IMHO.

I use the previous generation of this cooler and it works great for me. Plus with the splitters you can connect the BFG cards into the loop without a problem.

The other thing you could do is go to http://www.dangerden.com and build a DIY kit from thier parts. But I did not see any adatpers to downsize straight from 1/2" to 1/4". But where there's a will there's a way. So check it out.

-ouch1