Your question

Looking for some advice on an Old Computer

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2007 8:14:20 PM

Hi I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on upgrading an old computer..I would like to add a graphics card (looking to play rome total war), and have been told different things about the ability of the computer to handle it..do I need to upgrade the power supply as well?...here is the system summary..computer is an HP Pavilion 7915..thanks for any help

Mainboard : Asus CUW-AM/MEW-AM
Chipset : Intel i810
Processor : Intel Celeron @ 1100 MHz
Physical Memory : 512 MB (2 x 256 SDRAM )
Video Card : Intel Corporation 82810 810 Chipset Graphics Controller
Hard Disk : WDC (40 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : Memorex 48MAXX 2448AJ
CD-Rom Drive : OEM CD-ROM F522B
Monitor Type : Envision Envision EFT - 16 inchs
Network Card : ADMtek AN983 FastNIC PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

More about : advice computer

a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2007 8:42:03 PM

Ouch, with an intel 810 chipset you aren't going to have an AGP slot for upgrading, just the old PCI. You can check this to make sure, but as far as I know i810 has no AGP slot. That seriously limits your options.
February 5, 2007 10:51:16 PM

You're right, just the old PCI, no AGP slot
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2007 10:55:16 PM

about the best pci card you can get would be an nvidia fx series
or the ati x1300(i think).

this is better than on board video.
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2007 11:56:44 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else think the best solution is a cheap (but upgradeable) HP,DULL,eMachine, etc?

I would think even a GF6120 or X1100 based solution would be better than anything added to that old PC.

Sure it's about $300, but man, nothing's going to make that other rig worth any pennies put into it at this point IMO.

I'd say even OpenBox from the local BestBuy etc would be good (I could get a GF6150 base PC for $250CAD).

I hate 'upselling' but man that old system is just going to struggle all over with current games, even Rome Total War, which is still very CPU dependent.

Sireheck, they do make a GF6200 PCI (I haven't seen any retail versions of the rumoured GF7300 though)
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2007 12:02:49 AM

Quote:
Sireheck, they do make a GF6200 PCI (I haven't seen any retail versions of the rumoured GF7300 though)

i think they do make a 6200 in pci.

but have heard from g.w. that ati,s new x1300(i think)
is suppose to be the top pci card out.

have seen a review on it about 4 months or so ago.

maybe at hard(ocp) but cant really remember for sure.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2007 12:26:31 AM

Yeah the X1300 is the top PCI card, but really they kinda suck.

But amazingly not as bad as I thought considering that some will do OK in modern games, but only at ultra low res. I thought the FX5200/R9200 would be the max based on previous reviews by Sudhain, but it seems like in the rare occasion you can get a bit of a boost, but still not much more than the good integrated that are starting to appear.

But still the bottle neck is going to be the rest of this guy's system.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2007 12:39:57 AM

Quote:
But still the bottle neck is going to be the rest of this guy's system.

i agree.

to the op: its time for a whole new computer man :D 
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2007 12:44:03 AM

Quote:
But amazingly not as bad as I thought considering that some will do OK in modern games

one thing. on my g/f,s old dell with a celeron 2.4,2 256k mem, and
an fx5200 in pci.

a game like call of duty2 played as good as it does on my
s939 x24400 and 68gt in pci-e. a 3700 at the time.

i thought wtf 8O

then i realized cod2 reverts to dx7.0 or 8.0 on the dell.

but it still looked pretty damn good even the smoke effects.
and gameplay was pretty good too.
February 6, 2007 12:52:23 AM

Just suggesting,but as TheGreatGrapeApe said, save some money,salvage some usable components and buy a newer PC,I can bet the new PC will smoke your current PC anytime
February 6, 2007 1:53:51 AM

Hey man, don't let the advice of others concerning upgrading the whole machine fall on deaf ears.

If you are ready to get a new machine thrown together, I can help ya out. I just put together a C2D build / 1GB RAM / 7600GT for $704 shipped (after MIR).
There are some great deals to be had!
February 6, 2007 12:35:39 PM

Ok, it seems like the best idea is just to buy a whole new computer :cry:  what parts if any would you salvage on this one..thanks for all your help
February 6, 2007 1:29:43 PM

Quote:
Hi I am hoping that someone can give me some advice on upgrading an old computer..I would like to add a graphics card (looking to play rome total war), and have been told different things about the ability of the computer to handle it..do I need to upgrade the power supply as well?...here is the system summary..computer is an HP Pavilion 7915..thanks for any help

Mainboard : Asus CUW-AM/MEW-AM
Chipset : Intel i810
Processor : Intel Celeron @ 1100 MHz
Physical Memory : 512 MB (2 x 256 SDRAM )
Video Card : Intel Corporation 82810 810 Chipset Graphics Controller
Hard Disk : WDC (40 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : Memorex 48MAXX 2448AJ
CD-Rom Drive : OEM CD-ROM F522B
Monitor Type : Envision Envision EFT - 16 inchs
Network Card : ADMtek AN983 FastNIC PCI 10/100 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

Time to build[or buy] a new machine. Grin and bare it man, your system is old.
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2007 3:10:03 PM

HD maybe - its a bit small and you will have to update soon but you could use it for a bit.
Monitor -
CD rom drives -
Net work card

That about all I can see you keeping from your old PC. The OS as well assuming you have a full version and not that recovery CD crap that most vendors sell.
February 6, 2007 3:14:52 PM

Quote:
Ok, it seems like the best idea is just to buy a whole new computer :cry:  what parts if any would you salvage on this one..thanks for all your help

Since you asked about salvaging parts, I'm assuming you're looking at building your own system (as opposed to buying a pre-built). My comments are based on this premise.

Here's the components you COULD keep (and my comments):
Hard Disk: Space may be an issue (40GB is pretty small by current standards) and the age of the drive may also be an issue (older=increased failure rate). Newer drives will perform better. I personally would upgrade.
CD-Rom Drives: CD drives haven't increased in speed much above 48x so you wouldn't see a big performance increase by upgrading. You could re-use your optical drives, but you might want to upgrade to a DVD drive/writer.
Monitor: If you like it and it works well, keep it.
Network Card: Most likely not needed as most current mobos have built in network.
Operating System: Keep your OS. (assuming it's the full version, like ikaz said)
!