need some quick help PLZ asap.

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Ok so i built my first computer about 2 years ago. it works flawlessly forever but then ig ot a laptop about 6 months ago and never tocuhed the other computer again. But now i wanna play online with my brother some games so i was deleting everything on my computer. goign good. And then just for giggles i went into the bios and was playin with the voltage setting seeing if i can overclock it. And i started low and it went from 3.02 to 3.1 WOOT. lol anyway i restarted the computer. Went back on for like a n hour then the computer juts froze. so i went back to the bios and put the voltage back on auto and it still said 3.1. so i went back on the computer and it froze again. To the point where i cant move my mouse. So i went back and tried to down the voltage to about 1.1 or soemthing. not really sure. and it restarted and nothing was happenin at all now. screen wasent turning on. nothing. Lights on the case. all the fans were goign. but nothign happened. So i took out the battrey on the MOBO to get back to oringal settings and it worked. SO i rebooted and at first it wouldent load windows but i got it to load windows perfectly. and it will idle forever. but when i go to do something. Like aim or check my mail. The computer just turns right off. Then i go to restart it. It turns on for like 2-3 seconds and turns off. No screen or anything comes up. Did i fry the chip/mobo/PSU. OR what. id otn want it to go to waste. But i dont really wanna spend to much if any money on it ata ll. IF any1 could help THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance. Sorry abuot the long post

edit. Also if i leave the computer sitting for abuot 5-10 min and turn it on i can do it the same thing.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you haven't done so, go into the BIOS and reset it to Default, usually on the Exit tab. It's also possible you deleted something the system needs, if you're running XP, do a restore

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
ok well i tried to free up some of the power and disconnected my extra hard drive. And then it said i was msising a boot up file. then i pluged it back in. and restarted again. And sparks flew out of my fan..... not good. Does that mean my mobo ram and GPU are fried?

matrixinc

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Does the motherboard have a jumper to reset the bios. Most likely it does move that jumper over 1 pin and then move it back. This will reset the bios.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
And sparks flew out of my fan.....

Explain "sparks flew out of my fan." Which fan? Where did they come from?

Just for the record, this does sound bad, but it may not mean that everything is fried. More troubleshooting will be necessary.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Ive delt with that a few times over the years and mabye the people were lucky but the power supply didn't end up damaging any of the components. Hope this gives you some hope :D

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
ok so i plugged in the Powersupply and everything was going great for all of 5 min. after windows loaded up i was on aim messeging a few people. But i noticed when it went into a website it was loading that page very slow and freezing. so i restarted it. Went to go online again and loaded a big page and it just shutoff this time. I went to turn it on again. It turns on for all over 2 seconds all the fans lights and everythign turns on but quickly turns off right away. i took the battery out of the mobo but same thing. Maybe its something wrong with the chip? Because i was on it 2 days ago for 1-2 hours running defrag/uninstalling all the stupid spyware and programs that was on there. nothing windows related.

edit: Ok so i got the thing up and running again and i noticed my CPU DIE on my mobo software is red and it says 91. im guessing thats C degrees. But thats alot higher then iver even see it i think. How can i lower it. Ive been using this computer As it sits for 2 yaers and now its CPU temp is skyrocketing? any1 plz help me asap

Chrisb6122

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Ok well for the software issues try installing Win98 on a old Hdd and check that it still functions after you've found and fixed any remaining hardware issues,

as for getting your temps down first thing to do is to clean the Heatsink on the CPU, if that doesn't help pop down to your local computer shop and buy some thermal compound,

Clean the CPU die very carefully before hand using Isopropyl or some brand name stuff which Im sure they'll try to sell you, follow instructions with the compound and set your rig back up, hopefully this should bring down your temperatures considerably

Good luck and let us know what happens

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
ok my computers idling at 89-90 degrees. as soon as i go to open a program after booting up. it shuts down. I do have thermal paste on there already. And how can just 1 day this happen. Is the chip no good anymore?

Chrisb6122

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
ok my computers idling at 89-90 degrees. as soon as i go to open a program after booting up. it shuts down. I do have thermal paste on there already. And how can just 1 day this happen. Is the chip no good anymore?

This will sound like a stupid question please don't take offense, but check to make sure the heatsink is making a clean connection and all wires are connected and that the blades are actually moving,

As for just suddenly happening I can't explain sorry,

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
yea blades were spinning. No offence taking w/e u can think of throw out there. thanks for the quick response. As far as the fan goes i took it off and it doesnt look to pretty between the CPU and the sink. but i dunno if it supposed to look like that. i maybe from moving it around the heat sink wasent making great contact? It was hot when i took it off.
IT was very very dusty maybe that had somethign to do with ti. ill blow it off and try again i guess. With some new greese

Chrisb6122

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
yea blades were spinning. No offence taking w/e u can think of throw out there. thanks for the quick response. As far as the fan goes i took it off and it doesnt look to pretty between the CPU and the sink. but i dunno if it supposed to look like that. i maybe from moving it around the heat sink wasent making great contact? It was hot when i took it off.

Ok well running out of ideas atm, Its usually pretty messy between the h/s and the die but as long as there isn't to much compound between it should be making a good connection.

Off the top of my head I could think of is to try the cpu in a different system or if the computer still boots even for a few seconds try to download / install

Core temp

Its just a software program to monitor temps outside of BIOS but it is known to be accurate. But at 80-90c your mobo's bios will have settings to automatically turn the computer off so could be a little hard.

Anyways good luck and a separate test rig could be your ideal solution to locate problems and see the extent of any damage

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

If the 89 to 90 is Fahrenheit, it would be about 32C, which would be a bit high at idle but OK, if the 89 to 90 is C, then it's about 3 times higher than it should be. If it were me, I'd disassemble the computer including the CPU, HSF, RAM and take the board out of the case. Clean the paste off the CPU and HSF and reply apply a dab of paste. Install the CPU, HSF, and RAM, connect the PSU and try starting it out of the case. If it starts and runs, install the mobo but make sure you have all the offsets in the proper place and no extras. Start it again and if it runs, install the video card and monitor. If it starts, go into the BIOS and reset it to default or safe and start it again. Make sure all the fans are plugged in.

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
90s even for an Intel... not good. If the chip was running good before the OC experiment and suddely it doesn't even at stock settings, it's possible you may have slightly KFC'd (damaged by overvolting) your CPU to the point where it no longer runs properly. I did that to a AMD Duron once, it ran 40-45 before i tried an OC experiment and afterwards never ran below 60 and kept crashing/rebooting/shutting down... I ended up chucking that chip. I hope thats not your problem... good luck to ya.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Sure sounds like bad heatsink/processor heat transfer. As chris said, I would reapply the thermal paste. There are many good guides to doing this, if you need help. The idle temperature on that processor should be about 30 degrees Celsius, so your 89 is VERY HIGH.

It could be a CPU problem, but in my experience, a CPU works or it doesn't. This being said, I suspect that the CPU is ok.

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
ok i took everything off cleaned it up. And now my computer turns on and nothing happens. like the processors not even there. So i guess i fried it.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Possible, but don't jump to conclusions.

Make sure that you reapplied the thermal paste correctly. (Do you know how to do that? I should have asked before...)

Try resetting the BIOS. This should be a jumper near the battery on the motherboard.

What happens when you turn it on? Do the fans spin? Are there L.E.D's on the motherboard? If so, what do they display?

If you need help with any one of these steps, don't hesitate to ask. I should respond tonight, if not tomorrow.

Best of Luck