Disappearing balloons ??

This falls into the gategory of "annoyance" rather than "crisis" but I'd
like to know why it happens.

I'm running XP Home SP 1 on a system with 512 Kb and 40 Gb. On boot-up,
the icons in my Quick Launch and Notification Area display balloons that
define them when the cursor is hovered over each one. If the screen
display is allowed to revert to "screen saver" or is turned off by going
to "stand-by", the ballons fail to appear when the display is
re-established. If I expand the notification area to display all the
hidden icons and hover the cursor over any of them, I can see that the
ballons are again appearing, but they are now BEHIND the task bar so
that only the tops of them can be seen. Once the hidden icons are again
hidden, the balloons disappear altogether. Re-starting the system
corrects the condition temporarily.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Jim Murphy

It is not necessary to restart the system. You get the same effect by
logging the user off and then on again.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

"It is not necessary to restart the system. You get the same effect by
logging the user off and then on again."

Thank you for the assistance. It seems that I do not even have to
actually log off. Simply opening the Log Off dialogue box from the Start
menu and then closing it again after a few moments is enough to restore
the balloons to their proper location.

Jim Murphy