mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Anyone read Aaron McKenna's article in response to a Guardian piece by Charlie Brooker?

Anyone want to venture some other responses to Charlie's article?

Personally I think McKenna is taking this a little seriously - in the UK we in fact don't have a culture of 'hating Macs', and in any case, Charlie Brooker is known for taking cynicism to it's logical conclusion at any given opportunity (he's the man responsible for the 'trap hoot' of Nathan Barley - with Chris Morris -, TVGoHome & Screenwipe), perhaps we shouldn't take him quite as seriously as he often takes himself.

(if you're going to complain about this being in the wrong section then could you please ah heck off and PM some mods trying to get us a Macintosh section of this forum)

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I read it, and as usual, I took it with a grain of salt.

I can see what he's saying, I mean it's true when you think about it: Macs have a bit of a snooty connotation. Personally I'd get one of they weren't so god-blessed expensive and if they had way more customization options. I mean, the interface is cool, the GUI is like totally cool, and they're generally know to be reliable. Like I said, the problem is the price. That and the lack of games, which doesn't really effect me since I'm not really a gamer.

Vitriol

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
No games - BAD
overpriced - BAD
no customization - BAD
no tinkering possible - BAD
Not ATX compatible - BAD

They do look pretty. If buying a laptop, Macs are a pretty good choice.

LikesMacsToo

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
No games - BAD -True
overpriced - BAD -True

The no customization or tinkering is the WHOLE POINT of a MAC.

While I make my living on a MAC and wouldn't trade it I DO like to tinker as well so I build my own windows boxes at home.
I would agree that many MAC users are insufferably arrogant. I have worked sided by side with them since apple first came out.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
The no customization or tinkering is the WHOLE POINT of a MAC.

lol yeah this also equals a stable computer :wink:

I haven't had a PC have major stability issues in a loooong time, save for a defective mobo (which happens in Macs, too). That's getting to be an anachronistic argument.

Macs are...okay. I can use them if I need to. I don't really DISLIKE using them, I just know Windows a lot better and prefer it.

slayer10000

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
but the way mac and pcs are going they are more or less just becoming one type of system cause now you can have a mac os on a pc and same goes with windows on a mac

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
True, but that one button mouse, that's pretty tempting, ya know? :wink:

Didn't they have normal mouse currently?My aunt worked for a factory, assembling electronics such as kboards, mice,remote ctrl etc and she managed to get me 1 Apple optical mouse that have both click in Windows.... :oops: Dunno if it can work that way in Macs

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I dont hate makes, my brother bought a workstation a year ago. A nice looking computer, great industrial look, for $2000 without a monitor. Problem is that I would never have paid $2000 for what he got, two 2.0 ghz power pc processors. I have never seen any stats about them so I wouldn't know their relative value. Ability to upgrade to 8 gigs of RAM, that a plus. Here is the minus his graphics card was a 9600 or 9800, and to cap it off no monitor. Here is the thing, I might buy an apple laptop, they look good and they function well, I would never, ever, buy a desktop from apple! In my opinion they are as bad as dell for overpricing their hardware.

(My first computer was a dell I spent $1100 on that was worth 400 within two months)

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I'm not a mac hater, just not buying into the unending hype the cult of the mac lovers tries to spread. I love my pc, I love gaming on my pc, and I don't want to waist my computer's power to run emulations for other os'.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
as bad as dell for overpricing their hardware.

(My first computer was a dell I spent $1100 on that was worth 400 within two months)

Dell don't overprice their hardware, they're actually very reasonable especially if you know nothing about computers.

About the Dell that dropped in value, to be honest it's probably your fault for buying the wrong product :p

(I have access to 1 Dell btw, and it annoys me all the bad press they seem to receieve. Mine was bought for a younger sibling for a very reasonable price and it's very reliable, once you remove all Dell's crap.)

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I dont know, i used to be a total mac head, pcs where an evil diease that needed to be cleansed from the earth. After about 10 years of that its hard to forget it, so i try to stay away from topics like this. But i just had to say that i acutally own the cult of mac.

UAL3312

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
oh god, someone grab the Mace we gotta spray apt403 down for the next 20 minutes, then give him a shower. after that if he continues to run the cult of mac we should spray him for 30 minutes :wink:

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I never realy hated Macs...
never realy used one...
and when i finaly had to... it wasn't all that hard to use...
one button mouse took some getting use to...

i never ealized how horible the OS was untill i had to program on it...
write to the wrong part of the memeory and your rebooting...
that was OS9.

I guess in a while i'll have to update some code for osX and i'll find out how bad they are again... :cry:

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
ok here we go::

here is who i don't like macs

1. the keyboard and mouse they ship with is crap. we have to use them in the computer lab let me tell you ...THEY INVENTED THE 2 BUTTON MOUSE FOR A REASON !!!!

2. also while the UI looks good it sucks to work with . having the menu-bar at the top change with every application is annoying and has resulted in many macs crashing. in 5th grade i saved the entire hard drive to a floppy disk instead of my word doc an the thing crashed.

3. building a pc is half the fun..
4. what is with i macs ? why would you you pay for a notebook computer and then chain it to a heavy metal stand. the display should be a separate unit and it should never be connected to the computer (excpet by vga/dvi)

4. price it cost 2874 for a mac that is less powerfull then my $1740 (with 2 displays) pc and does less. that is a 40% markup

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I don't hate Macs... I'm just allergic to them... I mean, I get rashes from trying to use one. That is of course if I haven't sneezed myself to death from being close to one. The same effect occurs with people who use Macs...

:lol:

rantsky

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Guys, I think some points are being missed here. As a person who uses both platforms regularly, there are two things I have to say:

1. Yes personally I prefer a PC. Both my desktop and laptop run Windows XP, and I would never change that. But that's because I'm a technical person, I and need everything to be running exactly like I want, configured to the last detail. However, how much time did I spend on configuring my PC?? How much time do I spend every time one of my friends has trouble with his computer, or decides to buy a new one? So that's why my folks use a Mac. Their Mac just came out of the box, say another hour to install all the apps they need, and that's it. No long hours on stealthing the machine, configuring security and system settings, installing tons of utilities etc. Really, Macs just work. Perhaps 90% as well, but for 5% the work.

also

2. You really don't need to like Macs. BUT you must appreciate the significance of Apple in the computing industry. This company has been setting standards and inventing the stuff that later on you see everyone else copying. Do you really think Microsoft could go any distance with Windows without Apple near by? Just think how many concepts and ideas came from these guys. I'll spare myself listing them. Oh and by the way, I really don't see Microsoft that negatively. I actually don't think of MS as copiers, more of Apple as "industry advancers". Maybe they don't always implement everything perfectly, but they do make up the ideas.

Cheers :)

belvdr

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
ok here we go::

here is who i don't like macs

1. the keyboard and mouse they ship with is crap. we have to use them in the computer lab let me tell you ...THEY INVENTED THE 2 BUTTON MOUSE FOR A REASON !!!!

I have never had a problem with any of the keyboard and mice they have. You hold CTRL to right click with the one button. It's a learning curve, yes, but so is Linux, yet so many people embrace that.

2. also while the UI looks good it sucks to work with . having the menu-bar at the top change with every application is annoying and has resulted in many macs crashing. in 5th grade i saved the entire hard drive to a floppy disk instead of my word doc an the thing crashed.

That's a user problem. Plus, I'd like to know how you saved the entire hard disk to a floppy. And, by just saving something to a floppy, that shouldn't cause a crash on any OS.

3. building a pc is half the fun..

Not for everyone. Personally, I can't stand to build systems. It's just a waste of my time.

4. what is with i macs ? why would you you pay for a notebook computer and then chain it to a heavy metal stand. the display should be a separate unit and it should never be connected to the computer (excpet by vga/dvi)

Why not? I have my iMac (the first 17" flat panel), and it has been working nonstop for several years now. Some people don't feel the need to tear a computer apart every time a new video card or processor comes out. As I said before, some find it a waste of time.

4. price it cost 2874 for a mac that is less powerfull then my $1740 (with 2 displays) pc and does less. that is a 40% markup

It's R&D my friend. If it were a simple metal tower with the same components, then I'd agree. However, you're comparing costs of building your own to a machine that was designed from the ground up.

Additionally, the "does less" part is arguable. A Mac may do less for you, but not everyone needs a computer that does what you want it to. That's why there's a choice in the matter.