  • Low Memory
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
February 24, 2005 12:23:06 PM

my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon. My c drive
has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb with 1.3gb free
space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great thank you
older rookie scott

More about : low memory

February 24, 2005 1:15:03 PM

Ok i have 112mg of ram,i believe it say's low virutal memory

"scott" wrote:

> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon. My c drive
> has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb with 1.3gb free
> space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great thank you
> older rookie scott
February 24, 2005 1:31:07 PM

"scott" wrote:

> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon. My c drive
> has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb with 1.3gb free
> space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great thank you
> older rookie scott
Related resources
February 24, 2005 1:35:01 PM

well i went in to my performance and maintanence and it say's i have 2.00ghz,
112 ram.

"scott" wrote:

> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon. My c drive
> has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb with 1.3gb free
> space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great thank you
> older rookie scott
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 1:38:03 PM

Memory has nothing to do with hard drive space. How much ram do you have?
Does the message refer to virutal memory? That is the swap file.

"scott" <scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon. My c drive
> has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb with 1.3gb
> free
> space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great thank you
> older rookie scott
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:12:18 PM

In news:869554A3-6EA0-4E78-B89E-4C857E27B9D0@microsoft.com,
scott <scott@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon.
> My c
> drive has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has
> 4.61gb
> with 1.3gb free space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise
> would
> be great thank you older rookie scott

First of all, you're mixing up memory with disk space. How much
disk space you have is unrelated to the message you're getting.

How much memory (RAM) do you have? What are your virtual memory
settings?

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 2:58:57 PM

Please describe you computer (brand, laptop or desktop, XP Home or XP Pro,
video card if any, etc.).

It sounds like you have an onboard video adaptor that is sharing your ram.
Your overall ram sounds like 128mb (minus 16mb shared ram for video). You
can increase your pagefile size, but the best solution is to increase ram to
256mb or more.

> well i went in to my performance and maintanence and it say's i have
> 2.00ghz,
> 112 ram.
>
> "scott" wrote:
>
>> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon. My c
>> drive
>> has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb with 1.3gb
>> free
>> space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great thank
>> you
>> older rookie scott
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 3:12:50 PM

In news:uHeGmLqGFHA.2732@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> typed:

> Please describe you computer (brand, laptop or desktop, XP Home
> or XP
> Pro, video card if any, etc.).
>
> It sounds like you have an onboard video adaptor that is
> sharing your
> ram. Your overall ram sounds like 128mb (minus 16mb shared ram
> for
> video). You can increase your pagefile size, but the best
> solution
> is to increase ram to 256mb or more.

Yes, performance with only 112MB of RAM is always going to be
very poor. Even another 128 MB (which would give him a net total
of 240MB, after subtracting the sharded video memory) may not be
enough, depending on what apps he runs.

Please reply to the newsgroup

>> well i went in to my performance and maintanence and it say's
>> i have
>> 2.00ghz,
>> 112 ram.
>>
>> "scott" wrote:
>>
>>> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer
>>> icon. My c
>>> drive
>>> has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb
>>> with
>>> 1.3gb free
>>> space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great
>>> thank you
>>> older rookie scott
February 25, 2005 10:55:07 AM

the computer im talking about is a compaq presario desktop with windows xp
basic not home or pro. i dont think we have a video adaptor, would you
recommend larger than 256mb of ram, where would you recommend getting this,
thank you very much this has really helped me out so far.
Scott

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Please describe you computer (brand, laptop or desktop, XP Home or XP Pro,
> video card if any, etc.).
>
> It sounds like you have an onboard video adaptor that is sharing your ram.
> Your overall ram sounds like 128mb (minus 16mb shared ram for video). You
> can increase your pagefile size, but the best solution is to increase ram to
> 256mb or more.

> "scott" <scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > well i went in to my performance and maintanence and it say's i have
> > 2.00ghz,
> > 112 ram.
> >
> > "scott" wrote:
> >
> >> my computer says low memory on the bottom of my computer icon. My c
> >> drive
> >> has 32.6 gb with 11.3 free space and my d drive has 4.61gb with 1.3gb
> >> free
> >> space. The computer is pretty slow,any advise would be great thank
> >> you
> >> older rookie scott

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:41:44 PM

Compaq Presario what? Model number?

There is no such thing as Windows Basic, it is either Home (probably) or
Pro.

Before you go shopping for a video card, check the power supply wattage by
removing the left panel of the computer and looking on the large sticker on
the side of the power supply. It is crucial that you know the power
supply's rating. Most new video cards require a 300 watt power supply or
higher. If your power supply is lower, you will want to buy a legacy card
on eBay.

Yes, more than 256mb is desirable. 512mb is usually recommended.

!