Can I speed up network detection?

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 24, 2005 7:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Apologies for cross-posting to three groups but I have several questions to
ask and not much time.

I often use a laptop standalone, but on occasion I need to connect it to the
other PC via a Cat5e crossover connection.
The laptop is running WxpPro and the PC Win98.
If the PC is booted up AFTER connecting the two together, then I do not
have any problems, but if the PC is already booted up and I then connect the
cable- it can take up to five minutes before I can detect it in "Search for
computers" from either PC.
I sometimes use the laptop when visiting other customers with network
problems so that I can analyse which computer is having the networking
problem - hence only fixing the dodgy one, so it's an irritating issue when
I have to wait so long before it starts to search.

I performed a Norton Ghost on the laptop immediately on purchase and I have
recently rebuilt the laptop from the ghost due to various performance
issues.
I am running Symantec Firewall ONLY WHEN CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, and it
is disabled by default so I do not think that is causing any problems, and
in any case I have configured it to recognise and accept the IP address of
the other PC.

When I search for other computers it sometimes does not appear to be
looking - instead it blinks as if to say "don't bother me now..." and I have
to press the search button several times before it goes "... oh go on
then... if I must!" and actually initiates a search. Surely If I tell it to
search it should do as it's told instead of being stubborn - who was it said
that the computer had no soul! - mine does!

I do not have any spyware thingies on the computers and I have checked this
recently.
What on earth can I do to get the computer to search and identify computers
on the network faster?

Thank you in advance for feedback - newsgroup only please.

Terry

More about : speed network detection

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:58:01 PM

"anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Apologies for cross-posting to three groups but I have several questions
> ask and not much time.
>
> I often use a laptop standalone, but on occasion I need to connect it to
> the
> other PC via a Cat5e crossover connection.
> The laptop is running WxpPro and the PC Win98.
> If the PC is booted up AFTER connecting the two together, then I do not
> have any problems, but if the PC is already booted up and I then connect
> the
> cable- it can take up to five minutes before I can detect it in "Search
> for
> computers" from either PC.
> I sometimes use the laptop when visiting other customers with network
> problems so that I can analyse which computer is having the networking
> problem - hence only fixing the dodgy one, so it's an irritating issue
> when
> I have to wait so long before it starts to search.
>
> I performed a Norton Ghost on the laptop immediately on purchase and I
> have
> recently rebuilt the laptop from the ghost due to various performance
> issues.
> I am running Symantec Firewall ONLY WHEN CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, and it
> is disabled by default so I do not think that is causing any problems, and
> in any case I have configured it to recognise and accept the IP address of
> the other PC.
>
> When I search for other computers it sometimes does not appear to be
> looking - instead it blinks as if to say "don't bother me now..." and I
> have
> to press the search button several times before it goes "... oh go on
> then... if I must!" and actually initiates a search. Surely If I tell it
> search it should do as it's told instead of being stubborn - who was it
> said
> that the computer had no soul! - mine does!
>
> I do not have any spyware thingies on the computers and I have checked
> this
> recently.
> What on earth can I do to get the computer to search and identify
> computers
> on the network faster?
>
> Thank you in advance for feedback - newsgroup only please.
>
> Terry

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you do not use a network often then you may want to do a "classic"
Windows 98 fix here. In Windows 98, if the system does not detect a DHCP
server, network or boardband, there is a "delay" that an IP address will get
assigned to. In order to fix this, people were manually assigning an IP
address to the network adapter in "Network Connection".

I know that this also helps XP.

"anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Apologies for cross-posting to three groups but I have several questions
> ask and not much time.
>
> I often use a laptop standalone, but on occasion I need to connect it to
> the
> other PC via a Cat5e crossover connection.
> The laptop is running WxpPro and the PC Win98.
> If the PC is booted up AFTER connecting the two together, then I do not
> have any problems, but if the PC is already booted up and I then connect
> the
> cable- it can take up to five minutes before I can detect it in "Search
> for
> computers" from either PC.
> I sometimes use the laptop when visiting other customers with network
> problems so that I can analyse which computer is having the networking
> problem - hence only fixing the dodgy one, so it's an irritating issue
> when
> I have to wait so long before it starts to search.
>
> I performed a Norton Ghost on the laptop immediately on purchase and I
> have
> recently rebuilt the laptop from the ghost due to various performance
> issues.
> I am running Symantec Firewall ONLY WHEN CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, and it
> is disabled by default so I do not think that is causing any problems, and
> in any case I have configured it to recognise and accept the IP address of
> the other PC.
>
> When I search for other computers it sometimes does not appear to be
> looking - instead it blinks as if to say "don't bother me now..." and I
> have
> to press the search button several times before it goes "... oh go on
> then... if I must!" and actually initiates a search. Surely If I tell it
> search it should do as it's told instead of being stubborn - who was it
> said
> that the computer had no soul! - mine does!
>
> I do not have any spyware thingies on the computers and I have checked
> this
> recently.
> What on earth can I do to get the computer to search and identify
> computers
> on the network faster?
>
> Thank you in advance for feedback - newsgroup only please.
>
> Terry

February 24, 2005 7:58:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> I often use a laptop standalone, but on occasion I need to connect it to
> the
> other PC via a Cat5e crossover connection.
> The laptop is running WxpPro and the PC Win98.
> If the PC is booted up AFTER connecting the two together, then I do not
> have any problems, but if the PC is already booted up and I then connect
> the
> cable- it can take up to five minutes before I can detect it in "Search
> for
> computers" from either PC.
> I sometimes use the laptop when visiting other customers with network
> problems so that I can analyse which computer is having the networking
> problem - hence only fixing the dodgy one, so it's an irritating issue
> when
> I have to wait so long before it starts to search.

In Windows XP disable the network connection, then renable it. This will
force it to recognise the network. If you are using TC/IP automatic
addressing this may not work. Also make sure NETBIOS over TC/IP is enabled
on both computers. Another method would be to use IPX/SPX or NETBEUI on both
computers but the setup would be slower than your present wait and probably
wouldn't help with your diagnosis :-)

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 7:58:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Whoops can't spell TC/IP = TCP/IP

Kerry Brown
KDB Systems

"Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsystems.c*o*m> wrote in message
>> I often use a laptop standalone, but on occasion I need to connect it to
>> the
>> other PC via a Cat5e crossover connection.
>> The laptop is running WxpPro and the PC Win98.
>> If the PC is booted up AFTER connecting the two together, then I do not
>> have any problems, but if the PC is already booted up and I then connect
>> the
>> cable- it can take up to five minutes before I can detect it in "Search
>> for
>> computers" from either PC.
>> I sometimes use the laptop when visiting other customers with network
>> problems so that I can analyse which computer is having the networking
>> problem - hence only fixing the dodgy one, so it's an irritating issue
>> when
>> I have to wait so long before it starts to search.
>>

> In Windows XP disable the network connection, then renable it. This will
> force it to recognise the network. If you are using TC/IP automatic
> addressing this may not work. Also make sure NETBIOS over TC/IP is enabled
> on both computers. Another method would be to use IPX/SPX or NETBEUI on
> both computers but the setup would be slower than your present wait and
> probably wouldn't help with your diagnosis :-)
>
> Kerry Brown
> KDB Systems

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 9:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Also to help with speed, you might want to disable the explorer option
to Automatically search for network folders and printers. You're also
probably experiencing some issues with Workgroup membership &
Master Browser elections.

> If you do not use a network often then you may want to do a "classic"
> Windows 98 fix here. In Windows 98, if the system does not detect a DHCP
> server, network or boardband, there is a "delay" that an IP address will
> get assigned to. In order to fix this, people were manually assigning an
> IP address to the network adapter in "Network Connection".
>
> I know that this also helps XP.
>

> "anon" <ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Apologies for cross-posting to three groups but I have several questions
>> ask and not much time.
>>
>> I often use a laptop standalone, but on occasion I need to connect it to
>> the
>> other PC via a Cat5e crossover connection.
>> The laptop is running WxpPro and the PC Win98.
>> If the PC is booted up AFTER connecting the two together, then I do not
>> have any problems, but if the PC is already booted up and I then connect
>> the
>> cable- it can take up to five minutes before I can detect it in "Search
>> for
>> computers" from either PC.
>> I sometimes use the laptop when visiting other customers with network
>> problems so that I can analyse which computer is having the networking
>> problem - hence only fixing the dodgy one, so it's an irritating issue
>> when
>> I have to wait so long before it starts to search.
>>
>> I performed a Norton Ghost on the laptop immediately on purchase and I
>> have
>> recently rebuilt the laptop from the ghost due to various performance
>> issues.
>> I am running Symantec Firewall ONLY WHEN CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, and
>> it
>> is disabled by default so I do not think that is causing any problems,
>> and
>> in any case I have configured it to recognise and accept the IP address
>> of
>> the other PC.
>>
>> When I search for other computers it sometimes does not appear to be
>> looking - instead it blinks as if to say "don't bother me now..." and I
>> have
>> to press the search button several times before it goes "... oh go on
>> then... if I must!" and actually initiates a search. Surely If I tell it
>> search it should do as it's told instead of being stubborn - who was it
>> said
>> that the computer had no soul! - mine does!
>>
>> I do not have any spyware thingies on the computers and I have checked
>> this
>> recently.
>> What on earth can I do to get the computer to search and identify
>> computers
>> on the network faster?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for feedback - newsgroup only please.
>>
>> Terry

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:02:08 AM

In article <cvl422$lv6$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, "anon"
<ngr@tdrd.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>Apologies for cross-posting to three groups but I have several questions to
>ask and not much time.
>
>I often use a laptop standalone, but on occasion I need to connect it to the
>other PC via a Cat5e crossover connection.
>The laptop is running WxpPro and the PC Win98.
>If the PC is booted up AFTER connecting the two together, then I do not
>have any problems, but if the PC is already booted up and I then connect the
>cable- it can take up to five minutes before I can detect it in "Search for
>computers" from either PC.
>I sometimes use the laptop when visiting other customers with network
>problems so that I can analyse which computer is having the networking
>problem - hence only fixing the dodgy one, so it's an irritating issue when
>I have to wait so long before it starts to search.
>
>I performed a Norton Ghost on the laptop immediately on purchase and I have
>recently rebuilt the laptop from the ghost due to various performance
>issues.
>I am running Symantec Firewall ONLY WHEN CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET, and it
>is disabled by default so I do not think that is causing any problems, and
>in any case I have configured it to recognise and accept the IP address of
>the other PC.
>
>When I search for other computers it sometimes does not appear to be
>looking - instead it blinks as if to say "don't bother me now..." and I have
>to press the search button several times before it goes "... oh go on
>then... if I must!" and actually initiates a search. Surely If I tell it to
>search it should do as it's told instead of being stubborn - who was it said
>that the computer had no soul! - mine does!
>
>I do not have any spyware thingies on the computers and I have checked this
>recently.
>What on earth can I do to get the computer to search and identify computers
>on the network faster?
>
>Thank you in advance for feedback - newsgroup only please.
>
>Terry

It can take 15 minutes or more after a computer joins a network before
network browsing works reliably. To access another computer sooner,
type the other computer's name in the Start | Run box in this format:

\\computer
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
February 25, 2005 9:27:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

> Also to help with speed, you might want to disable the explorer option
> to Automatically search for network folders and printers.

Why is that?

--

Jeff Stevens
Email address deliberately false to avoid spam

!