HELP!!! Building - have questions on connections

chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I am using the CoolerMaster Centurion 532 case with the Gigabyte 965P DS3 mobo. There is an audio cable in the case that has a 10 pin connector (pin 8 is blocked) that says HD Audio, then on the same cable there is an identical connector that says AC97 and from that connector continue 9 individual wires that have 2 stickers around them - one says AC97 and the other Azalia.

The mobo has an F_AUDIO male connector on it. Which female connector from the case do I plug in it - the HD Audio, AC97 or the 9 individual wires?

For the PSU (Fortron 450), do I just use the connectors that I need based on the plug configuration for the optical devices and leave the rest just hanging (or tucked away)?

The case fans have 2 4-pin plugs - one male and one female. How do I connect those?

One more question - does it matter which side is up on the HDD? There is the smooth side and the side with the circuitry. Which goes up or does it matter?

Sorry for what may seem like stupid questions. The manuals that I have are very skimpy and don't exactly tell me much.

Thank you very much for your help, David

qwazzy

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
It's ok. Some manuals, as you said are skimpy. I don't think there will be a problem to try all of the audio connecter things, but I think the one you need is AC97.

As for the HDD, put it with the sticker facing up.

chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Qwazzy - thanks for your answers.

One more question (either to you or anyone): I found a short 2 wire cable that has a very tiny 4 pin connector on one end that says SPEAKER and the other end is a round "thing" about 1/4 inch in diameter with a hole in it and a + sign on it. The round "thing" is enclosed in a sort of a rectangular plastic that looks like it should snap into something. Any idea what this might be and what I do with it? And I would appreciate no smart @ss answers on this one :).

Thanks again.

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
The speaker wire should be connected on your motherboard along with the other front panel items that you need or can connect such as power, reset and the leds. How you connect them should be listed in the Gigabyte DS3 manual. If you check on the back of the female connector on the speaker wire etc. the small arrow denotes the power (or positive and this goes for most connectors) end. Unfortunately, gigabyte doesn't have Asus' q connect system which makes the job quite a bit easier (didn't even look at the manual for it except I attached the speaker incorrectly.)

However, check section 1-7 in the Gigabyte manual (or whatever that says connector info if they've changed the manual.) The f_panel on your motherboard [page 18] is what you are looking for I believe (the f_audio portion is also applicable if you are using onboard sound. EDIT: Nevermind, was going to add to use the HD one but it seems someone else basically said that.) It's item 10 or so on the list. The Gigabyte manual isn't all that shoddy so read it... if it's your first system build, you might not understand everything but that's what forums are for. Best of luck.

The black round thing is the speaker and it should snap into your case or be already snapped into place. This allows your motherboard to send you system beep messages - just in case things go horribly wrong.

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
See responses below

I am using the CoolerMaster Centurion 532 case with the Gigabyte 965P DS3 mobo. There is an audio cable in the case that has a 10 pin connector (pin 8 is blocked) that says HD Audio, then on the same cable there is an identical connector that says AC97 and from that connector continue 9 individual wires that have 2 stickers around them - one says AC97 and the other Azalia.

Azalia is the name of Intel High Definition Audio

The mobo has an F_AUDIO male connector on it. Which female connector from the case do I plug in it - the HD Audio, AC97 or the 9 individual wires?

The header is either HD or AC97 depending on the drivers you load, HD is the default - see page 24 of the manual.

For the PSU (Fortron 450), do I just use the connectors that I need based on the plug configuration for the optical devices and leave the rest just hanging (or tucked away)?

Just use the ones you need and dress the rest out of the airflow.

The case fans have 2 4-pin plugs - one male and one female. How do I connect those?

The board has one system fan connector on it. The other connects to the PSU with an adaptor (should be with the cable set)

One more question - does it matter which side is up on the HDD? There is the smooth side and the side with the circuitry. Which goes up or does it matter?

The mounting holes in the case will determine this. The drive itself does not care.

I found a short 2 wire cable that has a very tiny 4 pin connector on one end that says SPEAKER and the other end is a round "thing" about 1/4 inch in diameter with a hole in it ...

This is the speaker, the board does not have one on it and I did not find a speaker header on the board either.

Good luck

chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007

The board has one system fan connector on it. The other connects to the PSU with an adaptor (should be with the cable set)

I found a short 2 wire cable that has a very tiny 4 pin connector on one end that says SPEAKER and the other end is a round "thing" about 1/4 inch in diameter with a hole in it ...

This is the speaker, the board does not have one on it and I did not find a speaker header on the board either.
Good luck

If neither fan can reach the SYS FAN header, can I connect both to the PSU? The PSU cable has 2 plugs on it.

If the MB doesn't have a speaker header, how do I connect the speaker? NEVER MIND, Syntonic suggested that it's on the front panel of the MB. I'll look there.

if it's your first system build, you might not understand everything but that's what forums are for.

You're right about not understanding everything and the Gigabyte manual is a bit skimpy on detail.

Thank you both for the words of wisdom. I'll check it out later today.

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Both fans can plug into the PSU with out an issue.

Check out the manual for the front panel audio connection and drivers. If you need one you can get it online from Gigabyte.

Good Luck