MSI 965 Platinum won't recognize DVD drives...

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I've just assembled my 2nd PC...

MSI 965 Platinum
Core2Duo E6400 processor
XFX 7600GT 256Mb Video
4GB OCZ DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel
WD 160G 16Mb SATA2 WD1600YS
Asus DRW-1608P3S 16X DVD±RW
LG GSA-H22NK 18X DVD±RW Drive

First boot up, with only the LG DVD connected, I was able to get to BIOS and all was normal except that the DVD was recognized. The MSI IDE cable was too short for my case so I only connected one DVD. A longer IDE cable and both DVDs connected and the same result.

They appear in the Boot Up choices, but nothing I know to try has gotten them recognized as a Master or Slave at any level.

LG is pinned as Master and ASUS as Slave. I have WD in SATA 1.

Any suggestions comments will be appreciated.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Have you tried just setting them to CS? I had the reverse problem with a HD that wouldn't work in CS but would in Master, so sometime it's funny like that.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I agree you probably need to set them to CS. Cable Select is the most common cable these days. Which means the cable decides which one is master or slave depending on which one is plugged in to which plug. Master is the top plug slave is the lower plug.

Curious1

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
The 965 chipset doesn't natively recognize IDE and utilizes a spectacularly crappy Jmicron IDE controller that has given many users problems. It is so bad that you might want to look into going to all SATA devices or chose another non 965 chipset motherboard to completely avoid the headache.

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I was looking for other install / bios changes to do, besides standard, so that one/both DVD drives are recognized. Then I can move on to OS install.

The 3 replies after yours have given me 2 options that should work.

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
nvalhalla and cisco...

No, I haven't, but I will as soon as I get home tonight ... Thanks for your replies!

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
Curious1..

Thanks for your reply as well. I've found some info on the Jmicron IDE controller and an OEM SATA DVD drive at a local PC store. If the change to CS doesn't work I'll follow your lead. Thanks.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
another thing I forgot to mention is try if the above doesn't fix it, try using another cable. I recently tried to use a cable out of my spare parts bin and it wouldn't read the cdrom drive after checking everything finally swapped out the cable and it worked fine. Symptoms are the same, drives don't show up in the bios, drives will even start to spin up but nothing happens except no boot disk error.

airoh69

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Ide drives do not show up in the bios. to make them work you have to get into the bios and enable the jmicron raid to work as ide. To boot up from the dvd you have to press F8 or F12 if i remember correctly and it will show you boot up options.

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
airoh69...

It's F8 thanks! It jumped right to the Setup screen and is loading the OS loading right now. I'm answering you on my existing PC and really appreciate the help.

Hope someone, with more knowledge than mine, repays you in the future!!

Best Regards

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
nvalhalla...

Change to CS by itself did not work... But I left the drives set this way and with the suggestion from airoh69 below I'm loading the OS now...

Thanks!

mgoblue

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
Cisco...

Change to CS by itself did not work... I had bought a new longer cable, MSI's was too short for my case but this did have any affect. I left the drives set at CS and with the suggestion from airoh69 below I'm loading the OS now...

Thanks!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 965 chipset doesn't natively recognize IDE and utilizes a spectacularly crappy Jmicron IDE controller that has given many users problems. It is so bad that you might want to look into going to all SATA devices or chose another non 965 chipset motherboard to completely avoid the headache.

You're a complete moron. I've been using these for testing, they're just fine, no problems whatsoever.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, d00d, you can set it to boot from CD every time, but not like normal. You have to go into the boot order and change it to the custom setting for your CD-ROM. You'll see something like this:

Floppy
Hard Disk
CD-ROM
USB Floppy
USB CD
LG GSA-H22NK
Network
Other Device

The list will be quite long and you might actually have to scroll down to see your drive. The generic "CD" setting is only for SATA CD or DVD drives, but the JMicron BIOS is incorporated into the main BIOS well enough that the drive still makes the list...farther down.

Curious1

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
"You're a complete moron. I've been using these for testing, they're just fine, no problems whatsoever."

I am a moron huh, well look what a 5 second google search returned on 965 chipset and IDE:

Same problem with Intel 965 Express chipset as was posted on ...
I had this issue on Fedora Core 5 on a 965 chipset and had to add the "all-generic-ide" to the boot parameters. I'm not sure how you do this in Suse Linux ...
kerneltrap.org/node/7077 - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

AnandTech - OAK CD_ROM driver not loading on 965 chipset boards
Or there a known board out there with a 965 chipset that will load the CD ... It does not have that crappy jmicron IDE controller like very other 965 ...
forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1999141 - 58k - Cached - Similar pages

Why i965 boards are in short supply
The problem, however, isn't with the chipset itself, that part is doing well enough, but related to IDE, or lack thereof. In a case of great timing, ...
www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32855 - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

Ide Problems With Intel 965 Chipset And Suse 10.2 Alpha 5 - SUSE ...
following the problems with Suse 10.1 and Intel 965 chipset (no IDE DVD recognized, etc.) which are described in another thread in the Hardware section, ...
www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=25918 - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

SUSE Forums > Intel 965 Chipset Boot Problem
I have read into this problem and most say that the 965 chipset isn't properly supported and can't load the ide cd drive. I have tried the usual booting ...
www.suseforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t23963.html - 10k - Cached - Similar pages

Intel 965 Chipset JMicron
Seems the JMicron JMB361 Controller on Intel 965 Chipset motherboards doesn't see IDE CDroms in DOS without a special driver. ...
www.bootdisk.com/intel965.htm - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

agpgart with 965 in etch? | debianHELP
Any suggestions how to get agpgart working with the popular 965 chipset in ... recognise my IDE DVD RW (I have SATA hard drives) I had to make IDE ...
www.debianhelp.org/node/2625 - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

And thats just the first page. So, in conclusion, FUCK YOU and your out of left field baseless personal attack on my character.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, let me appologize because I hadn't called your motives into question: I was assuming that you were actually trying to help someone, for which your response would have appeared very idiotic. If your true intention was to push an agenda, your response may have been ingenious.

A helpful person who was upset about Linux/True DOS compatibility would have said “those controllers are junk because they’re not supported by blah blah blah” and everyone in this community would have ignored what you’d said.

By not stating why you thought these things were so bad from the outset, you were able to cloud the judgment of the original poster, making him believe that your opinion had some bearing on his problem. What a magnificent deception, because you knew that if your answer were called into question you could always “prove your point” in some obscure way!

So are you really an evil genius?

Curious1

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
“Down the path of most resistance”
“True intention was to push an agenda”
“Upset about Linux/True DOS compatibility”
“You were able to cloud the judgment of the original poster”
“What a magnificent deception…”

WTF, are you really that far gone? Did you forget your meds or something? You are reading so much into absolutely nothing. No one has a damn agenda. No one is pushing Linux or any other operating system. I don’t even use Linux. I am simply a guy who was going to buy the same motherboard as the original poster, went to Newegg and saw all the commotion about Jmicron, IDE and the chipset and decided to go SATA only to avoid the headache. That’s it.

Nobody is saying jack about any of that conspiracy crap you are spewing but you. Who the hell are you to accuse somebody of not being helpful anyway? Bottom line is you made a mistake in judgement and now you are trying to CYA instead of being a man and admitting you have totally overreacted and blown a gasket over absolutely nothing! The only complete MORON here is YOU! Unplug, go outside and clear your fool head.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, good cover but I really don't think you're upset. I've read dozens of complaints myself about JMicron controllers not booting Windows XP boot disks, but in every single case it was because of a faulty BIOS setting.

In most cases it was due to the JMicron controller being set to "RAID" mode when it's only addressable by MS's generic IDE controller driver in "Native" mode.

And I actually have the experience with over a dozen different P965 boards to prove these really do work that well. It's all to do with how exceptionally JMicron BIOS has been integrated into main BIOS, wonderful stuff.

Now if someone mentioned a performance problem or a RAID issue I would have simply left the problem to someone else, because all I every use these for is optical drives.

Curious1

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
The only person providing cover is you for your blatant emotional stupidity. Notice I didn’t mention anything about technical stupidity. This has nothing to do with technology. Like I said before, you totally over-reacted to nothing and falsely accused me of spreading FUD and being involved in some bizarre deception that only exists in your head. Notice how no one is making such outrageous bogus claims or attempted character assassinations but you. Notice how no one is backing you up. You were wrong in your accusations and true to your obviously stunted character you can’t or won’t acknowledge your mistake and apologize. From here on out, consider yourself blocked and ignored.

lelloyd99

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I just want to make a SPECIAL THANKS TO CRASHMAN for providing GREAT information and the FIX I NEEDED to get my MSI 965 Neo to boot from the CDROM. I was dead in the water without the silly little "search further down the boot list for your CDROM" tip!

TRENDING THREADS