atp777

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Check out tiger direct... they usually have some decent deals on complete systems.

www.tigerdirect.com

Otherwise a cheap Athlon X2 3800+ would be a good start.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
OK, I was playing WoW on an old Pentium 3.0 Mhz w/ 1gb RAM and a 5200 Ultra Video card and WoW ran fine w/o any noticible lag compared to my main systems. The video itself blew, but you can get a nice 7600GT for under $100 after MIB now.

You could toss the 7600GT in here ...........

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2541471&sku=J156-4218

Then add in 512mb of memory and the total bill comes in under $400.

The only drawback is this may only have an AGP slot which means you would need to spend more on the 7600GT but you should still be able to come in under $400.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
hmmm sounds pretty good....

just wondering my system now can have dual monitors and can run 2 copies of wow is there any way for me to get another mouse / keyboard to work independently for the other screen....

i dont think that would work but im not sure.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I think it may be a bit tricky to be able to operate two sets of mice/keyboards indepently on one system to make that work.

Even if you did get that to work, I dont think this system would be ideal for that. I would start looking for a Dual Core processor to do that.

Even then, I dont' think it would work that well.

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
i mean the system I have now... Im tryin to make my GF a computer so she will get off of mine hehe

mine is a Xeon 3060 2gb ram 8800gtx

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I don't recall the details, but there is some type of Hardware/Software that would actually let you run 2 systems at the same time off the same computer. Independent Keyboard/Mouse and even OS if I recall.

No, This is not VMWare but designed for two folks to share the same computer and work independently.

This could work on your system. I just dont recall details. Maybe somebody could.

Redline24

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Yea, that motherboard was for older processors though. You wouldn't have support for K8/C2D or anything that will last you a decent amount of time. Plus he would only have an AGP slot... so in essence, he'd be paying more for older technology.

Edit: Click on the link in the first post and buy what he suggests. That's plenty fast for WoW.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Not a "Bad" build but lots of issues.

1) No Video Card :>> Add $100 for the 7600GT

2) 250W Power Supply to small. Probably find w/o a Video Card.

3) Upgrade CD Drive to atleast at CD/DVD drive...........

Overall about $150 in upgrades to make the system usable.
So that takes it to about $650 w/ a monitor not $500.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would definately be a faster system than the super budget HP system I linked, but then again this is for his GF and not him :> I suspect the GF will be gone before he needs to upgrade :>>

I also have another rule about building computer systems.
I never, ever, build them for other people.
That leaves me in permanent tech suppport.

For the price of that system he could get this .....................

http://circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/170740/bundleId/7564/rpem/ccd/bundleDetail.do

Toss in a 7600GT and she is all set.
You may need to Install XP instead of Vista, however.

But then again its all about money.

I wager the poster could find a 15" monitor at no cost w/o too much trouble on someplace like FreeCycle which would again get him back down from $650 to sub $400 with the cheaper systems.

I can recall the days when going to McDonalds and thinking if I should or should not "SuperSize" as part of my budget :>>

Thank goodness those days are long gone :>>