minty

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
Hi, I have a hard drive that recently stopped working due to a fall onto carpet from about 2 feet. It is an internal Seagate drive, mounted in a Dynex (Best Buy brand) external case. I've been researching what my options are to salvage my data, but I'm confused on a few things.

First, I'm unsure whether or not my error is from the logic board failing or from a mechanical failure within the drives/platters. The drive starts up fine and begins spinning, but after a few seconds stops, pauses, and starts again. There is NOT a clicking noise, however. I've heard that this is the same as the drive clicking, but I am unsure. I've read recently that people have had issues with logic boards being broken/fried, so I was wondering if this could be the problem. Perhaps buying a copy of the same drive would allow me to replace the logic board with the new, functioning one, saving me a considerable amount of money from asking a professional to extract my data (something I can't afford). If it is not related to the platters, it seems my chances of data are better.

How can I tell if it is a logic board error or a platter/mechanical failure?

Also, if it IS mechanical, does anyone know any methods to get the data? I don't need all of it so I don't need a terribly long uptime, but there are some things on there I'd really like to have. The only method I've seen that seems to work at all is to freeze the drive for 24 hours and hope the parts shrink and slide into place. However, I'd like to do this as a last (or close to last) resort, as the condensation can damage the drive permanently.

If anyone has any help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Adam