CPU usage with Vista.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Well, anyone notice the cpu usage with Vista? For me I got about 20% usage while on desktop with the speec recognition turned on. About 5% with everything off and desktop on idle. Damn, take almost a quarter of the cpu and speech recognition can't even write Vista. Go ahead try it. Hope microsoft is doing a solution to this one. Speech recognition is definitely not for laptop, where battery life is outmost important. Anyone esle have the same performance.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
With me cpu usage is not a problem. But it consumes memory a lot. i have 2 gb in my sys and memory is usage is around 48% at normal usage. Pretty much 1 gb is gone .

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
With me cpu usage is not a problem. But it consumes memory a lot. i have 2 gb in my sys and memory is usage is around 48% at normal usage. Pretty much 1 gb is gone .

Vista uses as much memory as possible. The more the merrier. The thing is, it actually uses the memory, unlike XP which allows it to be used if needed. Vista's SuperFetch is a pretty damn good feature, not to mention how well it handles threads. It speeds up the OS substantially compared to XP. If you had more ram, it would use that too. There's really no downside as ram won't use any more power when it's full than when it isn't, and when a program needs memory, existing data can be dumped so the program can use it.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well, anyone notice the cpu usage with Vista? For me I got about 20% usage while on desktop with the speec recognition turned on. About 5% with everything off and desktop on idle. Damn, take almost a quarter of the cpu and speech recognition can't even write Vista. Go ahead try it. Hope microsoft is doing a solution to this one. Speech recognition is definitely not for laptop, where battery life is outmost important. Anyone esle have the same performance.

You have to remember that the Task Manager uses about 2-4% and speech recognition is a CPU and bandwidth intensive app (fp streaming). I haven't tried it yet, but that seems about right.

It could also be that it's still in "learning" mode, getting used to your speech patterns or it may be applying noise reduction. If you have a dual core though it shouldn't be a problem.

G

I haven't tryed the speech recognition, I was actually curious about it and wanted to try it with the super microphone that came with my P5b Dlx =)

I will keep you posted when this thread moves to Vista forums ;-)