kingston or samsung

clarkboyo

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
how much of a difference would it be to switch from a samsung to a kingston ram in performance? I read somewhere that samsung is the lead ram manufacturer or something but kingston is the top memory sellers. Right now

i have a samsung 1gb 667 mhz and i'm thinking of getting another stick of 1gb ram.. I wanna know though if i should buy another stick of the same ram and like dual channel, or should i go for the kingston ram instead and nix the dual channeling.. i

'm trying to get a more price to performance ratio but i don't know the kind of performance the samsung ram will achieve

Much thx for any replies :D

clarkboyo

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
what exactly are the specific module specs of a ram?

Both are apparently, 1gb 667 mhz but how specific are you looking at and how can i figure out the exact specs?

Mondoman

Splendid
Different motherboard chipsets are more or less sensitive to differences in the memory modules when it comes to running in dual-channel mode. For the latest Intel chipsets, you can even use different sized modules and still have it work! There's no specific guide to how much difference will be tolerable, but here are some possible characteristics, in decreasing order of how much difference they should make:
1) Size of module (e.g. 512MB, 1GB, etc)
2) Organization of module (number of RAM chips, internal organization of RAM chips).
3) Brand/model of RAM chips, brand/model of DIMM's PC board.
4) Speed, latency, manufacturer of module.
The DIMM manufacturer should have a datasheet describing most or all of these characteristics.

PS - Both in this post and my earlier one, I am talking only about the ability to run in dual channel mode, which can make a modest performance difference.
Otherwise, RAM brand makes no difference to performance; speed and latency are the main performance characteristics.

clarkboyo

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
ok so the module sizes are the same and i think the 965p chipset is still late-ish.. (has intel released a newer chipset past that one?)

what i'm worried about is that i don't know where to find who was the memory manufacturer.. I know samsung makes their own but I don't know if the kingston, which is a 1gb 667 mhz "kvr667d2n5-1g", is also from samsung.

If anyone can, please send me a link or tell me if they've had success in using different manufacturers for dual channeling.. If not, I'll probably just stick with samsung

Ps. Thx for the help :D

Mondoman

Splendid
Chances are low that you will be able to find the "same" modules, since manufacturers change their products probably weekly. However, with that chipset, I bet you will be fine with just about anything.