XP System32 Drivers Question Please

I understand that the driver files that XP uses for my Samsung CDRW are
located in the Windows/ system32/drivers folder.
I think my driver folder might be corrupted by some InCD files left in
it after an uninstall of InCD. Can I delete the entire system32 driver
folder and will XP rebuild it fresh on a reboot? I sure don't want to do
this if XP doesn't rebuild this folder :-) But if it does, doing this
might solve an issue for me with my CDRW drive by giving me a pristine
driver folder so that I can then uninstall the device, have XP recognize
it on reboot and reinstall the default driver.
Reason I'm considering doing this is that there is an InCD file showing
(InCDPass.sys) in my XP driver files for the CDRW when pulled up in
device manager. I am having some issues, but I have no way of knowing if
this file is the culprit or not. There are 3 InCD files in the system32
driver folder (InCDfs) (InCDPass) and (InCDrec). Only InCDPass is
showing up in device manager for the drive.
Also, if some kind soul with a Samsung CDRW would look and tell me if
there is an InCDPass file in their device manager for their drive, that
would help a lot also.
Note; already did a system restore. What I need to know really is
whether these InCD files should be there, and if not, how to get a
pristine driver folder again in XP?
Thanks much,
Dudley
12 answers Last reply
More about system32 drivers question please

    Dudley,

    This is my driver list in Device Manager:

    SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll

    Have you tried just deleting the InCD file in that folder to see if it
    solves your issue?

    As far as deleting the entire folder? I would not, yet. Let me research this
    and I'll get back to you.

    Good Luck,
    Mickey

    Dudley,

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers
    Ah. This is a tricky one,

    This is a list of what I believe are universal drivers used on most
    systems...and which I keep on my

    system...USUALLY BECAUSE MY SYSTEM WILL NOT BOOT...which seems like a fairly
    good reason,

    don't you think:

    ACPI.sys
    AEC.SYS
    AFD.SYS
    atapi.sys
    AUDSTUB.SYS
    BEEP.SYS
    CDAUDIO.SYS
    Cdfs.sys
    CDROM.SYS
    CLASSPNP.SYS
    disk.sys
    DMUSIC.SYS
    DRMK.SYS
    DRMKAUD.SYS
    DXAPI.SYS
    DXG.SYS
    DXGTHK.SYS
    FDC.SYS
    FIPS.SYS
    FLPYDISK.SYS
    FS_REC.SYS
    GAMEENUM.SYS
    IMAPI.SYS
    IPSEC.SYS
    isapnp.sys
    KBDCLASS.SYS
    KMIXER.SYS
    KS.SYS
    MNMDD.SYS
    MODEM.SYS
    MODEMCSA.SYS
    MOUCLASS.SYS
    MountMgr.sys
    Msfs.sys
    MSGPC.SYS
    Mup.sys
    NDIS.sys
    NDISTAPI.SYS
    NDISWAN.SYS
    NDPROXY.SYS
    NETBT.SYS
    Npfs.sys
    Ntfs.sys
    NULL.SYS
    PARPORT.SYS
    PartMgr.sys
    PARVDM.SYS
    pci.sys
    PCIIDEX.SYS
    PTILINK.SYS
    RASACD.SYS
    RASL2TP.SYS
    RASPPPOE.SYS
    RASPPTP.SYS
    RASPTI.SYS
    RDPCDD.SYS
    REDBOOK.SYS
    SCSIPORT.SYS
    SERENUM.SYS
    SERIAL.SYS
    SFLOPPY.SYS
    SPLITTER.SYS
    SWENUM.SYS
    SWMIDI.SYS
    SYSAUDIO.SYS
    TCPIP.SYS
    TDI.SYS
    TERMDD.SYS
    UPDATE.SYS
    USBD.SYS
    USBHUB.SYS
    USBPORT.SYS
    USBUHCI.SYS
    VGA.SYS
    VIDEOPRT.SYS
    VolSnap.sys
    WANARP.SYS
    WDMAUD.SYS
    WMILIB.SYS

    I also need these drivers, and I am fairly

    certain that these, we almost all need on our systems:

    asyncmac.sys
    ctlfacem.sys
    ctljystk.sys
    dmio.sys
    dmload.sys
    emu10k1m.sys
    mrxsmb.sys
    MSPCLOCK.sys
    MSPQM.sys
    netbios.sys
    processr.sys
    psched.sys
    rdbss.sys
    rdpdr.sys
    sfmanm.sys
    stream.sys

    Hi Mickey;

    I'm about ready to give up on this thing :-) I uninstalled InCD finally
    after having nothing but trouble with it's formatting crashing the
    computer. Now I'm just trying to use XP's default drivers for the CDRW.
    It's an (SM-352B)
    My driver details in DM are exactly as yours are with the exception of
    the one InCD file (InCDPass.sys). I've tried every which way but loose
    to get rid of it and reload the CDRW with the InCD file out of there,
    but it's a no go. If I take the file out of the system32 drivers folder
    and put it on the desktop, then uninstall the CDRW in DM and reboot, XP
    recognizes the CDRW but won't install the drivers. The CDRW shows a
    yellow bang in DM every time I try it. XP simply won't accept the driver
    without that InCDPASS.sys being in the system32 driver folder. If I put
    the file back in the folder and uninstall the CDRW and reboot, the
    driver installs with the InCD file in it.
    I guess I could just leave well enough alone, but I've been down this
    route before with these things. What usually happens is a conflict down
    the line somewhere :-)
    If you think of anything, let me know will ya. Appreciate it!! :-)
    Dudley
    "Mickey" <barkerpad@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Dudley,
    >
    > This is my driver list in Device Manager:
    >
    > SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S:
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\storprop.dll
    >
    > Have you tried just deleting the InCD file in that folder to see if it
    > solves your issue?
    >
    > As far as deleting the entire folder? I would not, yet. Let me
    > research this and I'll get back to you.
    >
    > Good Luck,
    > Mickey

    Thanks. I've printed this out for reference.
> [...]
    > AFD.SYS
    > atapi.sys
    > AUDSTUB.SYS
    > BEEP.SYS
    > CDAUDIO.SYS
    > Cdfs.sys
    > CDROM.SYS
    > CLASSPNP.SYS
    > disk.sys
    > DMUSIC.SYS
    > DRMK.SYS
    > DRMKAUD.SYS
    > DXAPI.SYS
    > DXG.SYS
    > DXGTHK.SYS
    > FDC.SYS
    > FIPS.SYS
    > FLPYDISK.SYS
    > FS_REC.SYS
    > GAMEENUM.SYS
    > IMAPI.SYS
    > IPSEC.SYS
    > isapnp.sys
    > KBDCLASS.SYS
    > KMIXER.SYS
    > KS.SYS
    > MNMDD.SYS
    > MODEM.SYS
    > MODEMCSA.SYS
    > MOUCLASS.SYS
    > MountMgr.sys
    > Msfs.sys
    > MSGPC.SYS
    > Mup.sys
    > NDIS.sys
    > NDISTAPI.SYS
    > NDISWAN.SYS
    > NDPROXY.SYS
    > NETBT.SYS
    > Npfs.sys
    > Ntfs.sys
    > NULL.SYS
    > PARPORT.SYS
    > PartMgr.sys
    > PARVDM.SYS
    > pci.sys
    > PCIIDEX.SYS
    > PTILINK.SYS
    > RASACD.SYS
    > RASL2TP.SYS
    > RASPPPOE.SYS
    > RASPPTP.SYS
    > RASPTI.SYS
    > RDPCDD.SYS
    > REDBOOK.SYS
    > SCSIPORT.SYS
    > SERENUM.SYS
    > SERIAL.SYS
    > SFLOPPY.SYS
    > SPLITTER.SYS
    > SWENUM.SYS
    > SWMIDI.SYS
    > SYSAUDIO.SYS
    > TCPIP.SYS
    > TDI.SYS
    > TERMDD.SYS
    > UPDATE.SYS
    > USBD.SYS
    > USBHUB.SYS
    > USBPORT.SYS
    > USBUHCI.SYS
    > VGA.SYS
    > VIDEOPRT.SYS
    > VolSnap.sys
    > WANARP.SYS
    > WDMAUD.SYS
    > WMILIB.SYS
    >
    > I also need these drivers, and I am fairly
    >
    > certain that these, we almost all need on our systems:

    Dudley,

    Have you opened DM and under "Drivers", Update Driver or Rollback Driver, or
    Uninstall Driver, than Reboot?

    I'm still researching other avenues for you.

    Don't delete any folders within C:\Windows, not a good idea, We will figure
    it out together.

    Mickey

    Dudley,
    Try this: I obtained this information from your CDRW Manual on
    www.samsung.com.

    Setting Up the Device Driver

    Automatic Setup

    The device driver is located in the Ddriver folder of the CD Record Utility
    disc which is provided in the package.

    Insert the CD Record Utility disc into the CD-ROM drive and open the Ddriver
    folder.

    Run the CDSETUP.EXE file in the Ddriver folder.

    When Setup is successfully completed, click OK button or press the Enter
    key.

    Reboot the computer.

    Manual Setup

    Make the C:\SAMSUNG directory.

    Copy the files from the diskette to the C:\SAMSUNG directory.

    To do so, type COPY D:\Ddriver * . * C:\SAMSUNG after the C:\prompt and
    press [Enter].

    Edit the CONFIG.SYS file.

    Add the DEVICE=C:\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS \D:SSCD000/V entry.

    Edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

    Add the C:\SAMSUNG\MSCDEX/D:SSCD000 entry.

    Reboot the computer.

    Let me know,

    Mickey

    Tried all that Mick. No joy!
    Don't bother getting into this too much Mickey. I think it's probably at
    the point where the base driver is corrupted somehow. I think it might
    be because when Hypersonic configured the computer before delivery, they
    installed both Roxio and Nero on it. I uninstalled Roxio right away and
    have gone with InCD, but always with problems. I think Roxio left me a
    Registry present when it left :-)
    Now Nero has been uninstalled, leaving behind three files in the driver
    cache, and one is loading as part of the default XP driver for the OD.
    It might just be time to reinstall XP and start from scratch. :-)
    > Dudley,
    >
    > Have you opened DM and under "Drivers", Update Driver or Rollback
    > Driver, or Uninstall Driver, than Reboot?
    >
    > I'm still researching other avenues for you.
    >
    > Don't delete any folders within C:\Windows, not a good idea, We will
    > figure it out together.
    >
    > Mickey

    Dudley,
    You may want to try and Re-Install InCD, and reboot than uninstall it again,
    it's worth a try. I have found Way too many articles and posts on InCD and
    the problems it causes, I use Nero StartSmart and Nero Express and I have
    had no problems at all. But for some reason the InCD keeps popping up in
    Internet Posts with alot of problems with XP. Have you tried Nero's Post
    Forum, I have seen a few on the subject, Sorry I couldn't help you. Best of
    Luck.
    Mickey

    I checked this out on their site earlier and downloaded the manual in
    PDF. I saw the reference. Problem is; Hypersonic didn't give me a disk
    for the drive for some reason. I'll call them tomorrow and check this
    out. If I had that CD, I could reload the driver.
    > Dudley,
    > Try this: I obtained this information from your CDRW Manual on
    > www.samsung.com.
    >
    > Setting Up the Device Driver
    >
    > Automatic Setup
    >
    > The device driver is located in the Ddriver folder of the CD Record
    > Utility disc which is provided in the package.
    >
    > Insert the CD Record Utility disc into the CD-ROM drive and open the
    > Ddriver folder.
    >
    > Run the CDSETUP.EXE file in the Ddriver folder.
    >
    > When Setup is successfully completed, click OK button or press the
    > Enter key.
    >
    > Reboot the computer.
    >

    > Manual Setup
    >
    > Make the C:\SAMSUNG directory.
    >
    > Copy the files from the diskette to the C:\SAMSUNG directory.
    >
    > To do so, type COPY D:\Ddriver * . * C:\SAMSUNG after the C:\prompt
    > and press [Enter].
    >
    > Edit the CONFIG.SYS file.
    >
    > Add the DEVICE=C:\SAMSUNG\SSCDROM.SYS \D:SSCD000/V entry.
    >
    > Edit the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
    >
    > Add the C:\SAMSUNG\MSCDEX/D:SSCD000 entry.
    >
    > Reboot the computer.
    >

    > Let me know,
    >
    > Mickey

    The recent update fixes several problems with InCD, particularly with
    Virtual PC.

    > Dudley,
    > You may want to try and Re-Install InCD, and reboot than uninstall it
    > again, it's worth a try. I have found Way too many articles and posts on
    > InCD and the problems it causes, I use Nero StartSmart and Nero Express
    > and I have had no problems at all. But for some reason the InCD keeps
    > popping up in Internet Posts with alot of problems with XP. Have you tried
    > Nero's Post Forum, I have seen a few on the subject, Sorry I couldn't help
    > you. Best of Luck.
    > Mickey

    Hey...thanks for trying anyway Mickey. I really appreciate it when
    people respond and try to help. I think what I'll do is call Hypersonic
    and talk to them about it. I know they won't be able to solve it, and I
    really don't want to use their resource disk to take everything back to
    the mirror they made at initial install. Reason for this is that they
    sent the computer to me with both Roxio and nero on the hard drive
    already. I think what I'll do is reformat and reinstall XP clean. Then
    just use the default XP drivers to back up on CDRW's as read only. My
    needs are simple enough that the drag and drop isn't all that important.
    As long as a read only file can be executed, I'm ok with that.
    Thanks again for the effort .
    "Mickey" <barkerpad@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Dudley,
    > You may want to try and Re-Install InCD, and reboot than uninstall it
    > again, it's worth a try. I have found Way too many articles and posts
    > on InCD and the problems it causes, I use Nero StartSmart and Nero
    > Express and I have had no problems at all. But for some reason the
    > InCD keeps popping up in Internet Posts with alot of problems with XP.
    > Have you tried Nero's Post Forum, I have seen a few on the subject,
    > Sorry I couldn't help you. Best of Luck.
    > Mickey

    My system came preloaded with both Roxio and Nero InCD on it. In my
    opinion it was doomed from the start with this setup due to conflicts
    with the drivers. I uninstalled Roxio EZCD Creator immediately and have
    had nothing but trouble with InCD ever since. The latest version only
    made my system worse. I've used the clean tool...the registry
    tool....and uninstalled and reinstalled InCD trying to fix the issues
    with crashing during format on the CDRW disks. Even changed media; no
    soap.
    Now, I've uninstalled Nero for good and am using the XP default drivers
    for the Samsung CDRW, but Nero has put a driver file in the default
    driver that can't be removed if the driver is to work.
    The system is so corrupted at this point, I'm simply going to clean
    reinstall XP.
    Thank you for responding anyway.
    DH
    > The recent update fixes several problems with InCD, particularly with
    > Virtual PC.

    > "Mickey" <barkerpad@aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Dudley,
    >> You may want to try and Re-Install InCD, and reboot than uninstall it
    >> again, it's worth a try. I have found Way too many articles and posts
    >> on InCD and the problems it causes, I use Nero StartSmart and Nero
    >> Express and I have had no problems at all. But for some reason the
    >> InCD keeps popping up in Internet Posts with alot of problems with
    >> XP. Have you tried Nero's Post Forum, I have seen a few on the
    >> subject, Sorry I couldn't help you. Best of Luck.
    >> Mickey

Drivers System32 Windows XP