Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
First things first, my current setup:
Evga 680i Board
E6300 at 3.377ghz 482.4 bus
2gig OCZ Plat rev.2 at 5.5.5.15 482.4 bus
Evga 8800gts 660 and 1010
Seagate 320gig sata 3

All on auto voltages except mem which is at 2.25.

Now I'm trying to decide what my next step is with this comp. I was toying with purchasing another 8800gts and slamming them in SLI. Decided against this atm because I was told Ghost Recon: AWF should put it to the test at 1600x1200 more than any other game out there so I bought it yesterday and played all day without a single complaint. So unless someone can validate purchasing another over my other upgrade routes please let me know.

The choices:

1) 2 more 320gig hard drives to put in Raid 0. Possibly an Agiea Phyx Processor. BTW one of the 3 hard drives will be going in an external case for easy transfering so only 2 will be staying in the rig.

2) A new processor. Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail for the extra 2m of cache. Is it worth it? I haven't looked into the improvements too much yet. But I was informed that at 1600x1200 with my current setups I would see bigger gains from a processor upgrade than another GTS.

3) Another GTS.

4) I could maybe pull off the money for a
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz LGA 775 - Retail
or
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

BTW I use this computer for a lot of gaming, AutoCad, video encoding, ripping, and image storage and a bit of editing. Discuss!

rockyjohn

Distinguished
It seems like you have a very powerful computer that is pretty well tricked out.

It looks like you should pretty much max out on games. For what applications do you need a faster system?

For general applications, it appears the weakest link is the cpu - althought yours is pretty fast. If you can get a cost effective improvement, it might be going with a quad core. If you buy a new components now how long would you be stuck with them before would want to upgrade again? I am thinking you might want to wait awhile to see what happens then get a quad or multicore when later.

pignoli

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
That's a pretty awesome overclock you've got there, not really any point spending money on a 6600. On which basis I'd say you'd get the most out of going quad core, for things like CAD encoding and editing. Other than that, the extra storage would probably be the most useful in that system.