Starting from scratch - Cat6/DSL all wired setup need advice

Lazy8

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I'm currently in the purchasing phase of setting up my home network. What I want out of this network is:

1st) Best config on my end for multiplayer internet gaming.
2nd) Best performance for LAN gaming between PCs @ home. (4 PCs)
My only restrictions are that I must use Qwest DSL (7mbit down, 896kbit up) and I will not be using any wireless devices.

I've already purchased a D-Link DGL-4100 router:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127060

The rest I'm still deciding on. Modem, cabling, ethernet cards etc.. Suggestions?

The DSL modem I'm currently using a Netopia model 3341-ELK (leftover from Earthlink) and although it does currently work with Qwest as the ISP, I'm not sure if its going to be a bottleneck or not.

Additional questions I'm currently trying to find answers to:
1) Is there a specific brand/type of Cat6 cabling that outperforms others?
2) Given the option, would it be ideal to have the POTS phone line shorter than the Cat6 cables or vise versa? (cost n/a)
3) Are there any proven DIY methods to help reduce EMI interference with the cabling?

Any additional feedback concerning what would help me achieve the best performance with respect to the goals above is greatly appreciated as well.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
1) Is there a specific brand/type of Cat6 cabling that outperforms others?

Sure, but you need to decide ahead of time how much you want to pay for it. I'm sure Panduit or Commscope cat6 will outperform generic cat6 on a Fluke. Does that translate into a difference you will notice? Probably not. You don't even need cat6 since gigabit runs just fine over cat5e. Cat6 is just extra headache and cost.

2) Given the option, would it be ideal to have the POTS phone line shorter than the Cat6 cables or vise versa? (cost n/a)

Since you're using DSL, there might be a small advantage to having the phone line be shorter, since DSL is a distance-sensitive technology. Again, probably not really noticeable.

3) Are there any proven DIY methods to help reduce EMI interference with the cabling?

Yeah, follow the directions. :) The majority of problems come from the termination, so know what you're doing or get someone that does. Don't step on the cable when you're pulling it and don't put too much tension on it either. Simple stuff like don't run your ethernet in the same conduit as an AC line or directly on top of fluorescent lights.

In all honesty, since your games don't use anywhere near the amount of bandwidth ethernet provides, you should concentrate on the ISP and your router. Your insistence of staying with the same ISP might end up hurting you since the choice of an good ISP is the most likely thing to make or break your gaming experience.