8800 compatability question

little_blue_monkey

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
hi

i recently had an accident that fried my motherboard and graphics card. I bought a new mboard/cpu/memory and an 8800 gfx card.

i ve got a fresh install of xp( sp2) but when ever i try to install the drivers the system crashes when the bar gets to around halfway up. If i reboot i get a blue screen of death until i reboot in safe mode and delete the drivers. I tried the drives from the disk and the 93.71 and 97.92 ones from the nvidia site.. nothing works.

im thinking now that maybe the card is incompatible - but before i send it back i really need to be sure and tbh i dont know enough about computers to figure that out.

so what i have is:

-BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB GDDR3 DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E
-ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA PT880 Ultra Socket 775 SATA 8 channel audio ATX
-Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR2 PC2-5300 CL=5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR2-667 1.8V
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache
-psu noisetaker2 enermax atx 12v eg701ax-ve(w)sfma(24p) 600w 100-240 vac

if anyone could help i would be eternally grateful.. im totally at a loss at the moment

i would have tried putting the old card back in - but unfortunatly i blew that up :)

thanks

little_blue_monkey

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
it is a totally fresh instal. so after windows boots - i installed my modem drivers and then tried the nvidia ones.

updating windows and putting the latest version of dx on first should be simple enough to try

that it all should be compatible is the biggest relief though

G

Might be a dumb question and I dont want to question your intelligence but did you use the 8800 specific drivers? Just checking because basic mistake do happen!

little_blue_monkey

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
thats ok :)

i tried 3 different ones - firstly the ones on the disk that came with it, then i checked their site and found the ones they recommended ( which i think were the all in one drivers ) and then finally the 8800 ones from the nvidia site.

little_blue_monkey

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
I took my machine to IT at work and i believe i have got to the route of the problem. Having tried the card in another machine ( where it worked fine ) and that card in mine ( where it worked fine ) i believe its the motherboard, as the psu of the machine where it worked was a lower W than the one in mine.

It seems likely that the motherboard doesnt provide the card with enough power - despite the fact that it has its own power from the psu. Least ways that seems to be the only conclusion we could come too.

It also seems to be the cheapest option to replace the motherboard.

So..

I need to find boards that definatly are able to support this card ( 8800 ).. which i can cross check against the cpu and memory i already have**..

** -Crucial 2GB kit (1GBx2) DDR2 PC2-5300 CL=5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR2-667 1.8V
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4ghz) Socket 775 FSB1066 4MB Cache

If anyone is able to give me some hints that would be great, or even what to look for specifically to check whether it would work.

thanks

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
it is a totally fresh instal. so after windows boots - i installed my modem drivers and then tried the nvidia ones.

that it all should be compatible is the biggest relief though

You say you have installed the modem drivers, what about the chipset drivers?

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
as suggested earlier, did you try installing all of the windows updates first?

since you think it might be a motherboard problem, i'm assuming you tried updating the bios?

little_blue_monkey

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
yeah i did do that - and installed dx9 too.. didnt make a difference..

Our IT guy was broggling around in the bios when he was looking at it and he couldnt see anything that was "wrong"..

tbh its been like 2 weeks this has been going on for now - im getting to the point where id just like to throw one more pot of cash at the situation and it work.

:)

thats why if i could find a mb that is guaranteed to run it- and fit with the other stuff ive got... i ll just buy it and get to normality

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I wouldn't give up on it just yet... unless you can exchange the mobo or get your money back.

What about the gigabyte DS3 motherboard? That looks like a good bet to me.