Differences between new Samsung DLP models

Last response: in Home Theatre
a b Ô Samsung
June 27, 2004 12:34:08 PM

I am looking at either the new HLP 5063 or 4674. As far as I
understand, the 4674 is the higher end model with the HD2+ chip and
the 5063 has the HD3 chip and is the baseline model. The 4674 also
costs more even though it is a 46 and not a 50. I believe it is the
Tantus line (anyone know what the name designation really means?)

The 50 model is listed as having SRS surround, while the 46 model has
BBE ehnahcer. Does anyone know if the BBE enhancer also supports
surround? Which one of these sound options is "better"?

Thanks.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 27, 2004 7:38:49 PM

Ron Zahavi wrote:
> I am looking at either the new HLP 5063 or 4674. As far as I
> understand, the 4674 is the higher end model with the HD2+ chip and
> the 5063 has the HD3 chip and is the baseline model. The 4674 also
> costs more even though it is a 46 and not a 50. I believe it is the
> Tantus line (anyone know what the name designation really means?)
>
> The 50 model is listed as having SRS surround, while the 46 model has
> BBE ehnahcer. Does anyone know if the BBE enhancer also supports
> surround? Which one of these sound options is "better"?
>
> Thanks.

AFAIK, the Samsung HLP models with the HD2+ chips are still not
expected to hit the stores until the August/September timeframe at the
earliest. I think you have the basic differences correct: the HLP 5063
which showed up in the B&M stores several weeks ago uses the HD3 chip
while the xx74 refers to the higher range HD2+ models. This website,
http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html, has a nice overview of the
DLP RPTVs, but has not been updated since March so the info, especially
on the details of price, shipping dates, and the specific features/bell
& whistles for the various models may be out of date.

Alan Figgatt
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 28, 2004 2:22:02 AM

Sadly, the man behind Digiupdate, Arun Gupta, passed away. Don't know what
will happen to the site. Maybe someone else will know more.. Here's the
link to info about his passing:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=88f9b0e...

Bill
Just trying to figure out this whole HDTV thing...

"Alan Figgatt" <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Ron Zahavi wrote:
> > I am looking at either the new HLP 5063 or 4674. As far as I
> > understand, the 4674 is the higher end model with the HD2+ chip and
> > the 5063 has the HD3 chip and is the baseline model. The 4674 also
> > costs more even though it is a 46 and not a 50. I believe it is the
> > Tantus line (anyone know what the name designation really means?)
> >
> > The 50 model is listed as having SRS surround, while the 46 model has
> > BBE ehnahcer. Does anyone know if the BBE enhancer also supports
> > surround? Which one of these sound options is "better"?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> AFAIK, the Samsung HLP models with the HD2+ chips are still not
> expected to hit the stores until the August/September timeframe at the
> earliest. I think you have the basic differences correct: the HLP 5063
> which showed up in the B&M stores several weeks ago uses the HD3 chip
> while the xx74 refers to the higher range HD2+ models. This website,
> http://www.digiupdate.com/105_DLP_RPTV.html, has a nice overview of the
> DLP RPTVs, but has not been updated since March so the info, especially
> on the details of price, shipping dates, and the specific features/bell
> & whistles for the various models may be out of date.
>
> Alan Figgatt

a b Ô Samsung
June 29, 2004 7:27:18 AM

This from the Sound & Vision forum.....

There are a few things that you will gain with the new HLP models.
1. Each 2004 HLP model will have both an HDMI and DVI input for complete
future proofing.
2. All three component inputs accept the complete range of resolutions
which fixes an issue in the 2003 models. This means that both 720p and 1080i
resolutions will be accepted by these models.
3. The new and improved Color wheel; which will help reduce the dreaded
color rainbows that some people notice on DLP based displays. The Pedestal
and Tantus (models ending in 85 and 74) will include the HD2+ DMD chipset
and also have the highly desirable seven segment color wheel. The base
models with the HD3 series DMD chip will revert back to the older six
segment color wheel.
4. An 8000 Hour 100-Watt User Replaceable Lamp
5. Optional HDTV Tuner
6. HD Fine Pitch Screen (0.155 mm)
7. Discreet IR code operation
8. Otherwise the same features as in 2003/HLN models

The Pedestal or "Captain Kirk" DLP models are two offerings that will be
less than 13" thick and can be vertically mounted like a plasma panel. The
two sizes come in 50" and 56" sizes(HLP5085W and HLP5685W.) Retail prices
for these two will be suggested at $4499, and $4999 for the 56" and delivery
date is expected no later than August.**

The tabletop Tanuts model* will also come in just two sizes of 46" and 56"
and will be outfitted with the same chip that the Pedestal models feature.
That means the HD2+ chip which offers a 3000:1 contrast ratio, and DarkChip2
enhcaner. Faroudja's FLI2300 de-interlacer will also be included with all
new 20004 models.
*HLP4674W and HLP5674W. The smaller size will have an MSRP of $3799 and the
other sibling will be priced at $4499.

The base model HLP models will comes in four sizes: There is the 46"
HLP4663W, the HLP5063W(50"), and a 56" and 61" as well. Prices for these are
expected to start at $3299 and reach upwards of around $4299 for the 61."
These puppies should already be in the stores as the delivery date was set
for May.

**Delivery date is subject to change.

S&V Moderator

"Ron Zahavi" <rzahavi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I am looking at either the new HLP 5063 or 4674. As far as I
> understand, the 4674 is the higher end model with the HD2+ chip and
> the 5063 has the HD3 chip and is the baseline model. The 4674 also
> costs more even though it is a 46 and not a 50. I believe it is the
> Tantus line (anyone know what the name designation really means?)
>
> The 50 model is listed as having SRS surround, while the 46 model has
> BBE ehnahcer. Does anyone know if the BBE enhancer also supports
> surround? Which one of these sound options is "better"?
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
June 29, 2004 12:01:19 PM

I have also seen this information on the forum. I am not sure how
correct or up-to-date the information is since on the samsung site,
the base model 5063 latest brochure indicates it comes with a 7
segment color wheel.

"WM" <wyattm@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<qk5Ec.932878$oR5.861749@pd7tw3no>...
> This from the Sound & Vision forum.....
>
> There are a few things that you will gain with the new HLP models.
> 1. Each 2004 HLP model will have both an HDMI and DVI input for complete
> future proofing.
> 2. All three component inputs accept the complete range of resolutions
> which fixes an issue in the 2003 models. This means that both 720p and 1080i
> resolutions will be accepted by these models.
> 3. The new and improved Color wheel; which will help reduce the dreaded
> color rainbows that some people notice on DLP based displays. The Pedestal
> and Tantus (models ending in 85 and 74) will include the HD2+ DMD chipset
> and also have the highly desirable seven segment color wheel. The base
> models with the HD3 series DMD chip will revert back to the older six
> segment color wheel.
> 4. An 8000 Hour 100-Watt User Replaceable Lamp
> 5. Optional HDTV Tuner
> 6. HD Fine Pitch Screen (0.155 mm)
> 7. Discreet IR code operation
> 8. Otherwise the same features as in 2003/HLN models
>
> The Pedestal or "Captain Kirk" DLP models are two offerings that will be
> less than 13" thick and can be vertically mounted like a plasma panel. The
> two sizes come in 50" and 56" sizes(HLP5085W and HLP5685W.) Retail prices
> for these two will be suggested at $4499, and $4999 for the 56" and delivery
> date is expected no later than August.**
>
> The tabletop Tanuts model* will also come in just two sizes of 46" and 56"
> and will be outfitted with the same chip that the Pedestal models feature.
> That means the HD2+ chip which offers a 3000:1 contrast ratio, and DarkChip2
> enhcaner. Faroudja's FLI2300 de-interlacer will also be included with all
> new 20004 models.
> *HLP4674W and HLP5674W. The smaller size will have an MSRP of $3799 and the
> other sibling will be priced at $4499.
>
> The base model HLP models will comes in four sizes: There is the 46"
> HLP4663W, the HLP5063W(50"), and a 56" and 61" as well. Prices for these are
> expected to start at $3299 and reach upwards of around $4299 for the 61."
> These puppies should already be in the stores as the delivery date was set
> for May.
>

> **Delivery date is subject to change.
>

> S&V Moderator
>

> "Ron Zahavi" <rzahavi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am looking at either the new HLP 5063 or 4674. As far as I
> > understand, the 4674 is the higher end model with the HD2+ chip and
> > the 5063 has the HD3 chip and is the baseline model. The 4674 also
> > costs more even though it is a 46 and not a 50. I believe it is the
> > Tantus line (anyone know what the name designation really means?)
> >
> > The 50 model is listed as having SRS surround, while the 46 model has
> > BBE ehnahcer. Does anyone know if the BBE enhancer also supports
> > surround? Which one of these sound options is "better"?
> >
> > Thanks.
June 29, 2004 4:06:43 PM

FWIW, I have an HLP6163W (61") on order. My dealer was told by his
distributor that delivery is scheduled to begin on July 16.

Dave

"WM" <wyattm@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<qk5Ec.932878$oR5.861749@pd7tw3no>...
<snip>

> The base model HLP models will comes in four sizes: There is the 46"
> HLP4663W, the HLP5063W(50"), and a 56" and 61" as well. Prices for these are
> expected to start at $3299 and reach upwards of around $4299 for the 61."
> These puppies should already be in the stores as the delivery date was set
> for May.
>

> **Delivery date is subject to change.
>

> S&V Moderator
June 29, 2004 8:23:15 PM

"WM" <wyattm@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<qk5Ec.932878$oR5.861749@pd7tw3no>...
> This from the Sound & Vision forum.....
>
> There are a few things that you will gain with the new HLP models.
> 1. Each 2004 HLP model will have both an HDMI and DVI input for complete
> future proofing.
> 2. All three component inputs accept the complete range of resolutions
> which fixes an issue in the 2003 models. This means that both 720p and 1080i
> resolutions will be accepted by these models.
> 3. The new and improved Color wheel; which will help reduce the dreaded
> color rainbows that some people notice on DLP based displays. The Pedestal
> and Tantus (models ending in 85 and 74) will include the HD2+ DMD chipset
> and also have the highly desirable seven segment color wheel. The base
> models with the HD3 series DMD chip will revert back to the older six
> segment color wheel.

There has been some discussion as to whether the 7 segment color wheel
will reduce the rainbow effect or not. (It should improve detail in
dark areas). I eagerly await reviews of models with the 7 segment
wheels in the hopes the rainbows are eliminated - as that is my
biggest concern with the DLP technology.

JCPZero

> 4. An 8000 Hour 100-Watt User Replaceable Lamp
> 5. Optional HDTV Tuner
> 6. HD Fine Pitch Screen (0.155 mm)
> 7. Discreet IR code operation
> 8. Otherwise the same features as in 2003/HLN models
>
> The Pedestal or "Captain Kirk" DLP models are two offerings that will be
> less than 13" thick and can be vertically mounted like a plasma panel. The
> two sizes come in 50" and 56" sizes(HLP5085W and HLP5685W.) Retail prices
> for these two will be suggested at $4499, and $4999 for the 56" and delivery
> date is expected no later than August.**
>
> The tabletop Tanuts model* will also come in just two sizes of 46" and 56"
> and will be outfitted with the same chip that the Pedestal models feature.
> That means the HD2+ chip which offers a 3000:1 contrast ratio, and DarkChip2
> enhcaner. Faroudja's FLI2300 de-interlacer will also be included with all
> new 20004 models.
> *HLP4674W and HLP5674W. The smaller size will have an MSRP of $3799 and the
> other sibling will be priced at $4499.
>
> The base model HLP models will comes in four sizes: There is the 46"
> HLP4663W, the HLP5063W(50"), and a 56" and 61" as well. Prices for these are
> expected to start at $3299 and reach upwards of around $4299 for the 61."
> These puppies should already be in the stores as the delivery date was set
> for May.
>

> **Delivery date is subject to change.
>

> S&V Moderator
>

> "Ron Zahavi" <rzahavi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I am looking at either the new HLP 5063 or 4674. As far as I
> > understand, the 4674 is the higher end model with the HD2+ chip and
> > the 5063 has the HD3 chip and is the baseline model. The 4674 also
> > costs more even though it is a 46 and not a 50. I believe it is the
> > Tantus line (anyone know what the name designation really means?)
> >
> > The 50 model is listed as having SRS surround, while the 46 model has
> > BBE ehnahcer. Does anyone know if the BBE enhancer also supports
> > surround? Which one of these sound options is "better"?
> >
> > Thanks.
January 28, 2005 12:22:45 AM

I'm interested in buying the 5063 when the price is right (After the
superbowl) and I need to have a battery backup/surge protector. Can
someone tell me the juice that this unit uses so I know what size to
buy?

Appreciated

Corey Harder
January 28, 2005 6:19:20 PM

Too lazy to surf over to the manufacturer's web site?!?!

<corey@candrharder.org> wrote in message

> I'm interested in buying the 5063 when the price is right (After the
> superbowl) and I need to have a battery backup/surge protector. Can
> someone tell me the juice that this unit uses so I know what size to
> buy?
>
> Appreciated
>
> Corey Harder

January 29, 2005 3:26:12 PM

The Samsung web site says nothing about poweer used in any of its specs!
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
January 30, 2005 11:24:57 AM

Where the power cord connects to the unit - those numbers
must be written. If the specs don't provide those numbers,
then be very suspicious of the entire unit. Why do they short
you necessary information? Or are you confusing a sales
brochure as specifications. Those color glossy brochures are
so that salesmen who don't even know how electricity or TVs
work will sound expert. You want specs sheets with lots of
numbers. If no full page of numbers, then it is not a spec
sheet.

But again, those numbers must be on every appliance
somewhere adjacent to where the power cord connects.

corey@candrharder.org wrote:
> The Samsung web site says nothing about poweer used in any of its specs!
May 11, 2009 2:21:07 AM

Hi, I have a Samsung Tantus WS42HP that has recently began to play up. The problem is that the screen will sometimes be normal for a few minutes if left off for say a week, then the problem starts up again. The problem is the picture will begin to go red then yellow then green sometimes greening out to a black, you can see the picture happening behind the color changing (except when it goes to dark green/black). Then it may have a normal picture for a few minutes then the problem flares up again for a minute or two, followed by normal picture again.
I am not sure what the problem is however after reading other problems I think there is a possibility that it may be the color wheel? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thankyou,
Aaron
!