sending files wirelessly

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
This may be a re-post but I searched and could not find it...

I have a new computer and backed up (using windows FAST wizard) my
files and settings on a second HDD that is on the old computer. After
my new system is up and running, can I transfer the files wirelessly
via my home network (Linksys router) from the old system to the new
one, as opposed to taking the drive with the back-ups out of the old
box, put it into the new one, restoring data, and then putting the old
drive back into the old box? The total back up is about 12 files each
with over 2 gb (yes, that's GB) each.

Thanks!!

Eddie G

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Yes you can.

Turn on file and printer sharing of the pc you want to transfer files from. Then select the files and folder you want to share. Then connect to the old pc, select the files and start the transfer. With wireless it will be considerbly slower than a wired but it will work.

Gariusb

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Yes it will be very much slower. ATA-2/EIDE (PIO 4 TM) reaches 16.7 Mega Bytes/second. Reference - http://www.phildev.net/ata-modes.html[/color]

Wired lan unless it's a GigaBit network, will run at 100MegaBits/second one way. Which when divided by 8 gives you a 12.5 MegaBytes transfer speed.

Wirelessly you'll probably @ least double your time. It sounded like you said you had 24GigaBytes of data to transfer which is 24,576 MegaBytes. Divide that by your best wired speed and your talking 32 Minutes before processing overhead.

I definitely would never try this with over 100 Gigs, but 24 should be okay as long as security isn't a concern and you've got the time. One day all computer cases will have front loading hard disks on rails and SATA 3.0 too. :lol:

Like Blue said... as long as both machines are connected to your network with IP addresses and you share the files out It'll be no problem at all.[/i]

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
It'll work, but, if you have 11b wireless, find something to do for the day while the files transfer.

If you have 11g wireless, go to a movie preferably a long one.

If you have 10BASE-T wired, go to a movie (again, long).

If you have 100BASE-T wired, go watch a re-run of Friends.

You don't have 1000BASE-T (just a guess), but you can probably have 100BASE-T for the price of a crossover cable (unles your old computer is so old it only has a 10BASE-T NIC).