Sign in with
Your question

Multi-fan case newb! HELP!

Last response: in Components
February 6, 2007 1:53:45 PM

Ok, I already own this case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681... -

If you don't want to loo, it's a Thermaltake Saprano.
It has 2 - 120mm fans and 1 90mm fan (front back and side)

This is the first case I have owned with multiple fans... They all have 4 pin connectors. male and female ends..

How do I hook them up though?

Will I plug them directly to my PSU? Will I connect them to my Motherboard somehow?

I'm assuming I shoudl plug them into each other and then put them on their own rail.. but I am not sure.

Note: I don't have my new mobo/psu yet - will it matter what setup I have?

Thanks!!

More about : multi fan case newb

February 6, 2007 2:07:53 PM

Nice case, it seems to have the 4-pin hdd type molex so yes just connect them directly to the psu. Yes I always put them on their own connector too but it really won't hurt to put them inline with a hdd or dvd/cd drive if you are short on connectors.

Some fans have the tach hanging on a 3-pin connector for the mobo sensor but I can't remember if the tt fans have that, if so then also connect that to the mobo if you like so you can monitor in your sysmon (speedfan, etc)
February 6, 2007 2:34:56 PM

awesome deal! thanks. I was just a bit worried abotu having enough connectors, etc.. or about having to put them on with other peripheals.!
Related resources
February 6, 2007 5:31:14 PM

How many fans is it safe to chain together? 120mm fans typically draw 0.3A current (often less). I think 1A is a reasonable limit to stay under, so chaining 3 such fans would be safe. What do you think?

Also, for fans that haven't started rotating yet, do their armature resistances add together when combined on a single rail? So that the initial current draw is decreased, actually making it safer than a single fan? I think decent fans have circuitry to limit the initial current but crappy fans might be dangerous when used singly.
February 6, 2007 9:22:25 PM

Hmm, that is a good question - I have an x-nav case that I hard wired 8 fans to the fan control...

For some reason I always assumed all dc fans had some type of pwm current limiting so it does not reach much more beyond double. which makes sense almost, since a dc fan is not a constant-current device it has to pulse the dc on/off so the fan can spin in the first place.

Maybe I will break out my DC ammeter the next time I power cycle my fileserver I am very curious now...
!