YABQ (Yet Another Build Question)

Stimulus

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Hi everyone, I need some one kind enough to suggest PC parts for my needs. The challenge, however, is get the lowest possible prices without sacrificing quality (for its price range).

The problem: My 2-year old workhorse PC is on its last legs. Its a ready-made PC from a local store($$) that needed weekly maintenance during its first 2 months($$$). Now its giving me all sorts of problems. I am willing to build a new PC if it means that I will get more for my money than buying one from a computer super store.

Some of the things I do:
Work with HUGE graphic files, both vector and bitmap (Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter, etc)
Play games (usually at 600x800 with low to med graphic settings)
3D renders (Daz Studio)
Surf the net via broadband

Things I don't need:
the "latest and the greatest" parts
overclocking capability
Expensive sound cards or chips
Constantly tweaking the BIOS settings
Software bundles

Things I would like (if possible):
low noise
low heat
energy efficiency
no data bottlenecking

Hopefully, by writing this I can hope to avoid unnecessary features and bring down prices. I won't set a budget limit, because I would like to compare prices vs specs (and maybe learn something).

Thanx in advance

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Based on your parameters, you need a FAST CPU, lots of RAM, a big hard drive (fast), and a backup drive. A decent graphics card but nothing spectacular, a decent quality power supply, an average motherboard, any DVD burner.

Quick list:

-C2D 6600
-2 gigs Value RAM
-cost effective 945 or 965 chipset motherboard, nothing fancy
-7600GT video card
-2 x 250 gig hard drives in RAID 0 (forget RAID if budget constraints)
-250 gig data/backup drive (or change size according to your need)
-FSP or Hiper 500w PSU (Seasonic if the budget allows)

You may not need RAID 0, it's tough to know without more detailed info. Depends on budget vs performance expectations. 2 Seagate Barracuda's in RAID 0 will be FAST and quite inexpensive, with a backup drive....this is a very good and cost effective solution for large files you'll be handling.

You'll definitely need a kickA$$ CPU, no question. 6600 will do the job nicely without breaking the bank.

Also definitely need 2 gigs of RAM, don't even think about going with less than that.

7600GT vid card will handle most games at good resolutions at high settings (with a few exceptions). Depending on how hardcore you want to do gaming and what your budget ultimately is, you may want to go with an X19xx series card in ATI for better performance and not breaking the bank again.

And get a quality PSU. High wattage not necessary. Quality is. You'll need something reliable......Seasonic S12 500w (or thereabouts in wattage) is HIGHLY recommended. Fantastic PSU, dead quiet, top notch performance. If budget constrains, then get an FSP or Hiper.

DVD burner model depends on what you plan to do with those large files. Plextor is king, but expensive. Samsung makes quality burners that are generally "quieter".

Pick any case that strikes your fancy that has a 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust fan (or lets you install them on your own).

Hope that points you in the right direction.