maxxed @home

albenine

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
whats up my name is...um maxx.im new here so my intro will be brief. im a virginian,electrician,amd /ati man.and fold as much as icanfor myself or maximum pc. 1=wanabegeek 7=money gates 10=neo. iam a4 i have wireless dlink gamerlounge 1,360&2xboxes with1 port left. for 3laptops[dlink wireless buscards],3pc[dlink pci cards]2 a7n8x-edeluxe pc's w/wifi-b. should i /can i create an ap for my laptops by routerout 2 nvidia lan[100mp] out 2nd lan marvell[1000] 2nd pc marvell lan.router=1000gb wifi-g all wifi cards are g/b. the two asus boards are wifi-b priprietory. ihave not used microsoft wireless connect.yet

Gariusb

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Holy Crap! That's alot and pretty good equipment... if thats the Gamers Lounge router I think it is. I had to settle for a Linux flashed Wrt54GL.

Basically if you don't mind security or you live in a house then an AP is probably the way to go, unless your house is ethernet wired (I was renting a house out here in Cali that was wired). Besides the security aspect the only thing to think about is Wireless standard compatibility (I hear wireless N is not ready) and getting WPA2 encryption on as many devices as possible. If there are devices that you cant get firmware updates for WPA2 then you should get those within range of your Gamers Lounge. If I remember correctly your DLink GL router comes with a MAC address per antenna and you may be able to program one of the antenna's for WEP encryption for the devices that couldn't be upgraded. If what I say about the GL is untrue you may need a different standard AP or cheap router performing gateway duties.

So remember...as I'm sure you've deduced...your first concerns should be.
-Security
-Compatibility
-Encryption Protocol