XFX 8800 GTS and ASUS P5B

tankrd1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Hey guys
I just installed brand new XFX 8800 GTS on my Asus P5B and my bios at boot is acting kinda funny. The bios logo and text gets all glichy and when in bios, browsing around is kinda slow. I have the new 1102 bios updated. This problem also affects my WinVista 64bit. Some install menus that come up flash with funny gfx for split second.

Anyone know anything about this or encountered similar problem?

Is this video card issue or mobo bios problem?

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Hey guys
I just installed brand new XFX 8800 GTS on my Asus P5B and my bios at boot is acting kinda funny. The bios logo and text gets all glichy and when in bios, browsing around is kinda slow. I have the new 1102 bios updated. This problem also affects my WinVista 64bit. Some install menus that come up flash with funny gfx for split second.

Anyone know anything about this or encountered similar problem?

Is this video card issue or mobo bios problem?
could that be..... dum di dum.. that your powersupply sucks?
try posting more info of your hardware man,(entire specs ) we're not mind readers ;)

tankrd1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Motherboard: Asus P5B
CPU: Core2 6600
Ram: OCZ XTC PC-6400 DDR2 (4gb) 4xsimm
PSU: Antec 480watt
Video: XFX 8800 GTS
HD: 120gig segate , 250gig maxtor
Optical: DvD-RW Pioneer
Sound: SB X-Fi XtremeMusic

Was reading the PSU 101 guile, and I did the calculation. It said recommended would be 438 watt, and that was with the GTX card as opposed to GTS which I have.

I'm at work right now, so that's as much as I can post at the moment.

tankrd1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
Well, I've just tested SilverStone 650watt PSU and that did not solve the problem, so I guess I've narrowed it down to mobo bios or the Video card itself.

I'm betting my money on mobo :)

Still open to suggestions...

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
It could be the mobo or its bios as this happens before the video card driver is loaded or it very well may be a problem with the video card itself. Its kinda tough to trouble shoot the Vista problems with the 8800 series cards as the driver is still beta, although I have not hear of other people having similar issues. I recommend you start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com and then PM me the ticket number.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
i have the same problem although i thought it was from the new ram i installed.When i raise bus speeds it takes ages to go up to 400.
The new ram i installed was the OCZ 2x1GB BTW.

tankrd1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005
i have the same problem although i thought it was from the new ram i installed.When i raise bus speeds it takes ages to go up to 400.

I kinda nailed it down to my mobo being a problem, but you could be right, it could be ram. I have 4x 1gig OCZ XTC ram. If in fact it is the ram, how do you solve the problem? Could asus fix this with a new bios upgrade?

btw I tested my 8800 on a different system yesterday and it works great.

cal7

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

I kinda nailed it down to my mobo being a problem, but you could be right, it could be ram. I have 4x 1gig OCZ XTC ram. If in fact it is the ram, how do you solve the problem? Could asus fix this with a new bios upgrade?

I`m pretty sure its the RAM.I have these sticks before the latest bios and although ASUS says something about RAM tweaking in the latest one it didnt solve the problem.I had the GTS before i upgraded the RAM so it must be something about OCZ 1GB sticks.No problem with the platinum 512MB sticks though.Which version do you have exactly (platinum,gold etc ) ?

tankrd1

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2005

I`m pretty sure its the RAM.I have these sticks before the latest bios and although ASUS says something about RAM tweaking in the latest one it didnt solve the problem.I had the GTS before i upgraded the RAM so it must be something about OCZ 1GB sticks.No problem with the platinum 512MB sticks though.Which version do you have exactly (platinum,gold etc ) ?

I have the OCZ XTC 1GB GOLD gamer edition x4. I hope Asus tweaks the BIOS some more soon so the ram works ok. I almost went and bought a new giga-byte mobo. I had these sticks for a while now, and when I had my 7950 GX2 I did not have that problem, so somehow it relates directly to the video card i guess.

TRENDING THREADS