oldman54

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I am building a home built server for a beta application that will feature financial transactions. This system will host multiple companies (est 100) and I want to make sure I provision enough data throughput (especially on backup) to cope.

Basically my question is two fold, would you recommend two fast Raptor drives or can I increase my performance further by using something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230088899738

Any comments welcome,

Oldman54

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
First off,
What kind of data base? That is a 160 card, in terms of SCSI, we are past that, past 320, and onto SAS as a growing standard. If this is going to be a production server I would recommend going with U320 drives in a raid 5. If you dont want to spend that money, then go with a SATA setup, but use a higher end card for the Raid 5.
If you are using SQL or SQLbase servers, your going to want the longer throughput that SCSI offers over SATA, but again if money is a problem, SATAs will do. If money is not a problem, then get a SAS setup combined with a SAN\NAS using DoubleTake or some type of IP based backups. Depending on where your logs are, you'll deff want have more than one array or partition, which means more disks.