  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2005 8:18:22 PM

So now that we've had a chance to play for awhile with Inv readjusted
(i hate that term nerfed)....what are your thoughts?

Myself, I use Dull Pain a lot more than I used too....Im going to have
to max Stamina and Tough Skin (Otherwise known as P012343532 these
days)

I haven't died yet and I'm playing on the Unyielding level. I do have
to take little breaks to get my stamina back up and sometimes have to
run from a purple boss. I also rely on my inspirations a lot more.

Vanth Dreadstar Level 37 Broadsword/Inv Scrapper.

More about : invulnerability observations wanted

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:55:17 AM

"Magnus, Robot Fighter." <me@key.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>So now that we've had a chance to play for awhile with Inv readjusted
>(i hate that term nerfed)....what are your thoughts?
>
>Myself, I use Dull Pain a lot more than I used too....Im going to have
>to max Stamina and Tough Skin (Otherwise known as P012343532 these
>days)
>
>I haven't died yet and I'm playing on the Unyielding level. I do have
>to take little breaks to get my stamina back up and sometimes have to
>run from a purple boss. I also rely on my inspirations a lot more.

I've had only 1 death since the change I think (I was the only on who
didn't die at all during the Striga Volcano TF.)
No wait - 2 deaths - I stupidly didn't pop a green or run away from a
purple council archon and his group of red buddies.

No where near maxed on resists yet, and defense is low especially to
ranged guys.
I've had to run a few times just to get out of the barrage of incoming
fire i've found in some places.

Overall i'm still going strong, and while the gutting of invincibility
has put a bit of a crimp in things, the added exp and good fights I get
from having difficulty maxed out make it worthwhile.

I used the free respec today, got rid of recall friend and teleport,
moved resist energies from 28 down to 24, got resist elements at 26
hasten at 28 and tough hide at 30.

With hasten 6 slotted, I can now run out of endurance if i'm not
careful, but all the slow attacks are FAR less annoying now.
[During the Volcano TF there were so many galaxy guys and marksmen i'd
end up charging in, getting 1 round of attacks and then sit unable to do
anything but get hit for ages after. Ok I was the tank, and they hated
me nicely so the team could cut them down, but it bugged the hell out of
me. I did NOT build a meatshield for someone else, I built a fighting
tank.]

I guess i'll take unstoppable at 32 just for emergencies, and then start
slotting up my resists.

I'm guessing that i'll do the freaks respec trial somewhere around
36-37, so I can remove some slots from low level attacks and shift them
to resists/defense once I get Energy Transfer slotted up fro attacking.

Maybe it's "gimped" compared to perma-unstoppable, I don't know, but my
tank is still VERY playable and smashes through non-boss red cons like
they were yellows.

I'm dreading the psi-heavy 40s though.

Xocyll
January 12, 2005 3:43:12 AM

"Magnus, Robot Fighter." <me@key.com> wrote:
> I haven't died yet and I'm playing on the Unyielding level. I do have
> to take little breaks to get my stamina back up and sometimes have to
> run from a purple boss. I also rely on my inspirations a lot more.

I get the inspiration to run like hell from most purple Bosses. :)

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 16 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

"Magnus, Robot Fighter." <me@key.com> wrote in message

> So now that we've had a chance to play for awhile with Inv readjusted
> (i hate that term nerfed)....what are your thoughts?
>
> Myself, I use Dull Pain a lot more than I used too....Im going to have
> to max Stamina and Tough Skin (Otherwise known as P012343532 these
> days)
>
> I haven't died yet and I'm playing on the Unyielding level. I do have
> to take little breaks to get my stamina back up and sometimes have to
> run from a purple boss. I also rely on my inspirations a lot more.
>
> Vanth Dreadstar Level 37 Broadsword/Inv Scrapper.

My DM/Inv scrapper conclusions based on fairly limited playing on the test
server (just enough to see whether the Inv. scrapper secondary was
completely gutted or not):

1. In addition to psionics, Inv. scrappers are very vulnerable to ranged
attacks. I wish they would up the base resistances from Resist Elements and
Resist Energies so that those powers six-slotted along with a six-slotted UY
reached the 75% scrapper cap.

2. The endurance drain of running UY, TI, and Invincibility is a bear.
After awhile, I got tired of it and just used UY and Invincibility. The
tradeoff of endurance for the S/L resist generally wasn't worth it at 44.
It was such a hassle that I was reluctant to use Soul Drain because SD plus
3 toggles dragged down my stamina bar very quickly. This makes me wonder if
it makes sense to drop TI and slot up RPD. With RPD fully slotted, I think
you'll get around the same resistance as unslotted TI. I wonder if a power
such as Touch of Fear, which reduces accuracy (or at least should if it's
been debugged on live), would be more valuable against a Boss than the extra
S/L resistance of TI.

3. The mobility of UY is great, but the defense debuff is unnecessary. The
huge reduction in power to Invincibility is more than enough to offset the
change to UY.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:28:48 PM

In article <PxaFd.6687$u47.3658@trnddc09>, Andy Pear wrote:
> My DM/Inv scrapper conclusions based on fairly limited playing
> on the test server (just enough to see whether the Inv.
> scrapper secondary was completely gutted or not):
>
> 1. In addition to psionics, Inv. scrappers are very vulnerable
> to ranged attacks. I wish they would up the base resistances
> from Resist Elements and Resist Energies so that those powers
> six-slotted along with a six-slotted UY reached the 75%
> scrapper cap.

Thankfully, it looks like our voices have been heard, and the
numbers have run, and ranged defense is going back into
Invincibility.

> 2. The endurance drain of running UY, TI, and Invincibility is
> a bear. After awhile, I got tired of it and just used UY and
> Invincibility. The tradeoff of endurance for the S/L resist
> generally wasn't worth it at 44. It was such a hassle that I
> was reluctant to use Soul Drain because SD plus 3 toggles
> dragged down my stamina bar very quickly. This makes me wonder
> if it makes sense to drop TI and slot up RPD. With RPD fully
> slotted, I think you'll get around the same resistance as
> unslotted TI. I wonder if a power such as Touch of Fear, which
> reduces accuracy (or at least should if it's been debugged on
> live), would be more valuable against a Boss than the extra S/L
> resistance of TI.

Unfortunately, you can't reach the smash/lethal cap with just
Unyielding and RPD.

Unyielding with 6-slots damage resistance: 33%
RPD with 6-slots damage resistance: 21%

You can save slots and still reach the cap, by 3-slotting TI, 1
damage resistance and 2 endurance reduction.

RPD w/ 1 DR: 11.25%
Unyielding w/ 6 DR: 33%
TI with 1 DR: 29.25%
========
73.5% Smash/Lethal

The 2 endurance reduction in TI lowers its cost from 0.39 e/s
almost in half to just 0.23 e/s.

That 2nd slot of endurance reduction will actually save you more
if you put it in Unyielding instead, but you'd put yourself a
little bit further from the Energy/Fire/Cold cap.

> 3. The mobility of UY is great, but the defense debuff is
> unnecessary. The huge reduction in power to Invincibility is
> more than enough to offset the change to UY.

Having powers in the same set counteract each other is a
disappointing thing, and that's currently what we have. It's
playable, but it's not right, and I agree it's unecessary.

--
Neil Cerutti
Anonymous

"Neil Cerutti" <neil.cerutti@tds.net> wrote in message
> In article <PxaFd.6687$u47.3658@trnddc09>, Andy Pear wrote:
> > My DM/Inv scrapper conclusions based on fairly limited playing
> > on the test server (just enough to see whether the Inv.
> > scrapper secondary was completely gutted or not):
> >
> > 1. In addition to psionics, Inv. scrappers are very vulnerable
> > to ranged attacks. I wish they would up the base resistances
> > from Resist Elements and Resist Energies so that those powers
> > six-slotted along with a six-slotted UY reached the 75%
> > scrapper cap.
>
> Thankfully, it looks like our voices have been heard, and the
> numbers have run, and ranged defense is going back into
> Invincibility.
>
> > 2. The endurance drain of running UY, TI, and Invincibility is
> > a bear. After awhile, I got tired of it and just used UY and
> > Invincibility. The tradeoff of endurance for the S/L resist
> > generally wasn't worth it at 44. It was such a hassle that I
> > was reluctant to use Soul Drain because SD plus 3 toggles
> > dragged down my stamina bar very quickly. This makes me wonder
> > if it makes sense to drop TI and slot up RPD. With RPD fully
> > slotted, I think you'll get around the same resistance as
> > unslotted TI. I wonder if a power such as Touch of Fear, which
> > reduces accuracy (or at least should if it's been debugged on
> > live), would be more valuable against a Boss than the extra S/L
> > resistance of TI.
>
> Unfortunately, you can't reach the smash/lethal cap with just
> Unyielding and RPD.

I was just wondering if reaching the cap is worth it if the choice is taking
a power such as Touch of Fear in the DM primary that reduces a Bosses chance
to hit in the first place (again, if it's been fixed on live). I was doing
pretty well running around with TI off, so I'm wondering if I could just get
rid of it and find something that works even better for me. Like I said
about the Blaster EPP's, getting S/L resist in the 40's may not turn out to
be as good as it seems on first blush because there's so much psionic,
energy, and elemental damage out there. Just some "off the top of my head"
thinking.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 11:02:28 PM

Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

<snip>
>Unfortunately, you can't reach the smash/lethal cap with just
>Unyielding and RPD.
>
>Unyielding with 6-slots damage resistance: 33%

I thought (read elsewhere) that Unyielding had a base of 20%, leading to
a max of 44%.
Or is this one of those differences between Tanker and Scrapper?

Xocyll
January 14, 2005 4:37:13 AM

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
news:p b6eu092bbtdf8sjti9jd1rga25u6kqpoa@4ax.com...
> Neil Cerutti <neil.cerutti@tds.net> looked up from reading the entrails
> of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
>
> <snip>
> >Unfortunately, you can't reach the smash/lethal cap with just
> >Unyielding and RPD.
> >
> >Unyielding with 6-slots damage resistance: 33%
>
> I thought (read elsewhere) that Unyielding had a base of 20%, leading to
> a max of 44%.
> Or is this one of those differences between Tanker and Scrapper?

Yes - Tanker = 20%, Scrapper = 20% x 75%=15%
!