Wireless Router continuously drops connection

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Hello everyone!
I've been going crazy the last two days due to my new Wireless Belkin G Router and i was hoping someone here could help!Searched the net and forum but i couldn't find a solution right for my case.

My wired connections are ok with any computer in my house but wireless connections drop after every first minute. The PCs can see the my router in the list and signal is excellent (i'm keeping it next to me right now).
I tried to play around with the settings but couldn't solve anything so right now i brought it back to factory settings with no kind of protecion (no wpa/wep, no firewall, no MAC filtering) but the problem is still there!

I found out that if i start a download in that first minute the connection will last up to 2/3 minutes but then it drops just like before.

Hope you can help me out because i really can find any solution!!THANKS! :)

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Do you have a way to test it with a different computer?

I assume you are using Windows and using the Windows wireless networking utility, rather than one provided by Belkin.

Make sure, if you are using a vendor utility, that you have the Windows utility disabled.

If you are using the Windows utility, I recall awhile back there were some issues with the WinXP wireless networking utility that resulted in frequent dropped connections. I don't remember the solution, but you may want to update your Windows to the latest patches.

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
THANKS for your reply!
I am already sure that the settings in both PCs i have at home are okay because i can connect using either one of them to my neighbor's wireless network, even though his signal is very very low, while mine is max.
So i'm almost 100% sure the problem is in the router's settings.
Any suggestions??

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'm not familiar with the Belkin routers, so this is generic advice.

Do you have security enabled?

Start with the very basic setup. Set the router to 11b only with no security, DHCP enabled, all wireless stations allowed access. See if that connection is stable.

If that is not stable, you probably have a defective router.

If that is stable, then try 11g with no security.

If that is stable, then try 11g with WEP enabled.

If that is stable, then try 11g with WPA (assuming you want to use that - I recommend it, especially with neighbors near enough so you can poach their signal).

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Ok when i last posted i couldn't test it anymore but i just did right know, first thing in the morning (i'm in italy).
I am trying with 11b and protection turned off and the connection hasn't dropped in the last 5 minutes (which is quite a goal for the problems i'm having)!
As you suggested i will try to activate one feature by one...but in case the same issue comes up i was wondering...could i leave it just the way it is?the only kind of protection i need is on my wireless connections, and i have mac address filtering at the moment.

By the way Iceblu THANKS A LOT for your help!!!

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
At the moment i am keeping my network on lowest security settings because as soon as i put wpa on 11b both computers just won't connect... :? what should i do?could it be MTU settings?i have it right now at 1492...just guessing i'm out of ideas.. :)

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Belking routers are not know to be reliable. I would replace the router with someting not Belkin. So far I have not found one that has worked more than 30 days with out craping out.

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I have read that they are not reliable at all but you know it's not like they're selling you an apple telling you it's an orange.....i mean even if it's a crappy router compared to some other models, it SHOULD at least work!
Unfortunately i am not in the position to spend additional money so i would like to concentrate on getting this one to work...I can't beleive it sucks this bad...plus I'm a newbie in networking so the problem must be something i don't know about. :)

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
At the moment i am keeping my network on lowest security settings because as soon as i put wpa on 11b both computers just won't connect... :? what should i do?could it be MTU settings?i have it right now at 1492...just guessing i'm out of ideas.. :)
What are your wireless interfaces on each of your computers? Do they even support WPA?

Have you tried WEP? It is not the best, but better than completely open.

Also, have you tried 11g without any security? (Just to test of all of your computers can connect reliably at 11g speeds).

As to reliability, my experience with home-class (i.e. cheap) wireless routers is that none would be considered "reliable" in the operate 24/7 without dropping, etc. The Belkin is better than some, according to reviews I have read.

If they have cheaped out in the embedded processor, etc., in the router design you will start to have connection problems as you demand more from the processor.

11g demands more than 11b
More computers connected demands more than fewer
WEP demands more than no security (but minimal)
WPA demands more than WEP

Also, as you put the router under heavy use, it will heat up. As it heats up to approaching overheating, it will drop connections. Make sure there is nothing obstructing the router's cooling slots.

So, you will be expecting the most from your router's processor if you have a large number of computers connnected operating at 11g with WPA security.

If you can work at 11b open (no security), then at least you are functioning. Put your router as far from the external walls of your place as possible, to try to weaken the signal that your neighbors may pick up.

If you can also add WEP security to the above, that will help discourage neighbors from poaching, although a determined person can break WEP security.

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Ok thanks for the tips...i'm not giving up, i'm still trying :)
I'll start over putting it to factory settings and adding up one by one features.
I'll let you know!

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Just one dumb question... Should i set it as an access point?
In the router configuration there's the possibility to set it as an access point. I tried that some days ago cause i was out of ideas but when i did the ip of the menu changed and the menu itself didnt let me change any options because they all disappeared...So i reset it because i couldn t get it back to normal.

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
ok what happened now is really leading me to think the router is messed up.

I was connected via wire to the router just on some sites and downloading a torrent when all of a sudden the connection starts slowing down big time.
I noticed because i had to click several times to get to some links.
So i checked the torrent and it was down to 4k/s, then after a couple of minutes pages just wouldn't load and the connection died.

I was not messing with the router's configuration when this happened so i unplugged it and thought it could have overheated. A couple of hours later i tried again but connection dropped after five minutes. Same thing again i tried just now.

This all happened while i was connected with wire (i don't even wanna think about wireless right now :) )

I tried to reset it with the button undernieth because i can't even access to the configuration via browser, but it was no use.

Right now i am connected using only my dsl modem. I am seriously thinking about going back to the shop and having it changed....think it might be the case?

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Ok i got the router back on (don't know how, i guess it WAS overheating last time i tried, i don't know...) and i am having it on minimum security as you told me and 11b. I don't mind people poaching right know i don't care but i've tried switching the channels a bit and found one channel that let's the computer connect by wireless.
I'm guessing it's because there are about 10 people with wireless networks where i live so maybe even if all channels are occupied maybe i picked the one channel that is open (or maybe someone using it is far away enough).
could i have found a solution?? :D
BTW the connection is on a record-breaking 30 minute run! :D

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yes, you may have found the problem; channel interference could cause the symptoms you were experiencing.

BTW, the channels overlap. Non-overlapping channels must be at least 5 channels apart (e.g. 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap). You can use the site survey feature of your Windows utilities to see the channels nearby networks are using.

Also, many cordless home telephones transmit in the same frequency band as 802.11b and 11g wireless (2.4 GHz).

If your router is prone to overheating, keep plenty of air space around it; have it placed so there is no blockage of its cooling vents, especially those that may be on the bottom. If it is bad enough, it will probably feel hot to the touch (although feeling warm is normal).

Re1lly

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I really hope i solved everything. Thanks a lot Iceblue for your help and for explaining a lot of things!you a have been very helpful!