PSU for 8800gts - HELP!!!

aalo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Hi, everybody. I have read the PSU101 and other topics which are very helpful. :) I am going to buy a new PC. I’ll be buying a XFX 8800gts. For 8800gts what things I should look in a PSU? From other forums I have found that the good PSU companies are-
-Antec
-Enermax
-OCZ
-PC Power & Cooling
-Seasonic
-Silverstone
-FSP/Fortron/Sparkle
-Tagan

I have also found that I should look at these things in a PSU for my 8800GTS-
-30A on the 12V
-30-40A on the 5V and 3.3V rails
-4- or 8-pin 12V auxiliary power connector
-24-pin ATX power connector

I know very little about these things. :( So please tell me if this information is correct or not? Are these info is enough to buy a good PSU or am I missing something? :? I’ll be grateful for any comments or suggestions. :D
Thanks for reading this.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
Hi, everybody. I have read the PSU101 and other topics which are very helpful. :) I am going to buy a new PC. I’ll be buying a XFX 8800gts. For 8800gts what things I should look in a PSU? From other forums I have found that the good PSU companies are-
-Antec
-Enermax
-OCZ
-PC Power & Cooling
-Seasonic
-Silverstone
-FSP/Fortron/Sparkle
-Tagan

I have also found that I should look at these things in a PSU for my 8800GTS-
-30A on the 12V
-30-40A on the 5V and 3.3V rails
-4- or 8-pin 12V auxiliary power connector
-24-pin ATX power connector

I know very little about these things. :( So please tell me if this information is correct or not? Are these info is enough to buy a good PSU or am I missing something? :? I’ll be grateful for any comments or suggestions. :D
Thanks for reading this.

Does it say on the box of the card? I bet it does! Does it say on the website of the manucaturer, I'm willing to bet it does to.

"55 a on the 12V rails blah blah blah" seems really nitpicky and a lot of times is just wasted keystrokes when mentioned as a recomendation. Read the requirements for the video card, and I bet it will tell you exactly what size of power supply you need. No sense in spending 200 dollars on a power supply when you could have gotten away with sub 100... know what I mean? Heck don't even get the minimum, bump it up a tad... overkill on PSU doesn't equal a bad thing but spending A LOT when you could have gotten away with a little is.

NeoRecon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
I went with the OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU. It's on sale now too to make it more 'reasonable' than its normal price tag.