Quick Launch Icon

Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick Launch'
tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to get
it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly appreciated.
26 answers Last reply
More about quick launch icon

    Has it been bumped to the right? If there is a small right facing chevron,
    click on it and see if it is simply hidden.

    "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    > Launch'
    > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to
    > get
    > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    > sense.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    > appreciated.

    Thank you for responding Colin.
    It was not bumped to the right and it was not hidden. Do you know how to
    create a new icon?

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Has it been bumped to the right? If there is a small right facing chevron,
    > click on it and see if it is simply hidden.

    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    > > Launch'
    > > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to
    > > get
    > > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    > > sense.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    > > appreciated.

    Here are the instructions to re-create the Show Desktop Icon on your Quick
    Launch Toolbar:

    > Thank you for responding Colin.
    > It was not bumped to the right and it was not hidden. Do you know how to
    > create a new icon?
    >

    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Has it been bumped to the right? If there is a small right facing
    >> chevron,
    >> click on it and see if it is simply hidden.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    >> > Launch'
    >> > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how
    >> > get
    >> > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    >> > sense.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    Hi,

    Copy/paste the below into notepad:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the desktop.
    Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    > Launch'
    > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to
    > get
    > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    > sense.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    > appreciated.

    Thank you for responding Rick. I can't find notepad. Will anything else work?

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >
    > [Shell]
    > Command=2
    > IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    > [Taskbar]
    > Command=ToggleDesktop
    >
    > Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the desktop.
    > Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    > > Launch'
    > > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to
    > > get
    > > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    > > sense.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    > > appreciated.

    Try this:
    Start>Run and type without the quotes:
    "regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32"

    "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:6CDC4BC4-B7C5-47AB-B341-08CBEA0DE7D0@microsoft.com...
    > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick Launch'
    > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to get
    > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes sense.
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you for your help Jose, but all that happened was that I got a window
    listing all the items on my desktop. Do you know how to make a "desktop" icon?
    Thank you.

    "José Gallardo" wrote:

    > Try this:
    > Start>Run and type without the quotes:
    > "regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32"
    >
    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:6CDC4BC4-B7C5-47AB-B341-08CBEA0DE7D0@microsoft.com...
    > > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick Launch'
    > > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to get
    > > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes sense.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly appreciated.

    If Notepad does not appear at Start>All Programs>Accessories, then I would
    run:
    Start>Run and type 'sfc /scannow' without quotes and with a space before /.
    sfc = system file checker and it repairs or restores system files from a
    protected folder. It begins to sound like you have some system files
    missing or corrupted.

    > Thank you for responding Rick. I can't find notepad. Will anything else
    > work?
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >>
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>
    >> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    >> desktop.
    >> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    >> > Launch'
    >> > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how
    >> > get
    >> > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    >> > sense.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    Hey Colin, thanks a bunch. I found Notepad. I'm a begineer at computers and I
    didn't realize that it was in Accessories. I don't have time right now to
    work on getting my icon so keep your fingers crossed for me. Again, thanx :-)

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > If Notepad does not appear at Start>All Programs>Accessories, then I would
    > run:
    > Start>Run and type 'sfc /scannow' without quotes and with a space before /.
    > sfc = system file checker and it repairs or restores system files from a
    > protected folder. It begins to sound like you have some system files
    > missing or corrupted.

    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thank you for responding Rick. I can't find notepad. Will anything else
    > > work?
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    > >>
    > >> [Shell]
    > >> Command=2
    > >> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    > >> [Taskbar]
    > >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    > >>
    > >> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    > >> desktop.
    > >> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    You're welcome.

    > Hey Colin, thanks a bunch. I found Notepad. I'm a begineer at computers
    > and I
    > didn't realize that it was in Accessories. I don't have time right now to
    > work on getting my icon so keep your fingers crossed for me. Again, thanx
    > :-)
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> If Notepad does not appear at Start>All Programs>Accessories, then I
    >> would
    >> run:
    >> Start>Run and type 'sfc /scannow' without quotes and with a space before
    >> /.
    >> sfc = system file checker and it repairs or restores system files from a
    >> protected folder. It begins to sound like you have some system files
    >> missing or corrupted.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thank you for responding Rick. I can't find notepad. Will anything else
    >> > work?

    Hi Kira,

    In addition to Colin's advice, you should be able to click start/run and
    just type notepad and click ok. It will also work if you use wordpad.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for responding Rick. I can't find notepad. Will anything else
    > work?
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >>
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>
    >> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    >> desktop.
    >> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    >> > Launch'
    >> > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how
    >> > get
    >> > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    >> > sense.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    Hi Jose,
    I tried your suggestion again and this time I got the message that Windows
    could not find it.-Thanks

    "José Gallardo" wrote:

    > Try this:
    > Start>Run and type without the quotes:
    > "regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32"
    >
    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje news:6CDC4BC4-B7C5-47AB-B341-08CBEA0DE7D0@microsoft.com...
    > > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick Launch'
    > > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to get
    > > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes sense.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly appreciated.

    Hi Rick,
    Your suggestion did allow me to put an icon on my taskbar but I'm not
    sure whether it works or not. Somehow I managed not only to move my taskbasr
    to the side of the screen, but now it's in two parts. The regular blue one is
    on the right hand side of the screen and a white one is at the top. How do I
    get them together and back at the bottom where they belong? I could only get
    one taskbar (white) to let me drag the icon to it. Unfortunately, it doesn't
    do anything. I thought maybe it might work if the two taskbars were together.
    I don't know, I am so confused now. Please help me!!

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >
    > [Shell]
    > Command=2
    > IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    > [Taskbar]
    > Command=ToggleDesktop
    >
    > Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the desktop.
    > Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    > > Launch'
    > > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to
    > > get
    > > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    > > sense.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    > > appreciated.

    Hi Kira,

    Right click the one on the right, click "lock the taskbar" (as it is
    probably currently checked, if not then skip this step). Then, left click
    and drag it from a blank area near the start button back to the bottom. Then
    drag the one off the top of the screen and drop it right next to the start
    button.

    --

    > Hi Rick,
    > Your suggestion did allow me to put an icon on my taskbar but I'm not
    > sure whether it works or not. Somehow I managed not only to move my
    > taskbasr
    > to the side of the screen, but now it's in two parts. The regular blue one
    > is
    > on the right hand side of the screen and a white one is at the top. How do
    > get them together and back at the bottom where they belong? I could only
    > get
    > one taskbar (white) to let me drag the icon to it. Unfortunately, it
    > doesn't
    > do anything. I thought maybe it might work if the two taskbars were
    > together.
    > I don't know, I am so confused now. Please help me!!
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >>
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>
    >> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    >> desktop.
    >> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    >> > Launch'
    >> > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how
    >> > get
    >> > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    >> > sense.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    Kira,

    Shell32.dll is a vital system file and Windows won;t load without it. It's
    possible you've typed the command-line incorrectly.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Hi Jose,
    > I tried your suggestion again and this time I got the message that
    > Windows
    > could not find it.-Thanks
    >
    > "José Gallardo" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this:
    >> Start>Run and type without the quotes:
    >> "regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32"
    >>
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje
    >> > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    >> > Launch'
    >> > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how
    >> > to get
    >> > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    >> > sense.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    >> > appreciated.

    Thank you.

    "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Kira,
    >
    > Shell32.dll is a vital system file and Windows won;t load without it. It's
    > possible you've typed the command-line incorrectly.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Jose,
    > > I tried your suggestion again and this time I got the message that
    > > Windows
    > > could not find it.-Thanks
    > >
    > > "José Gallardo" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Try this:
    > >> Start>Run and type without the quotes:
    > >> "regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32"
    > >>
    > >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> escribió en el mensaje

    Hi Nutcase,
    OK, I did what you suggested and I got the icon. The problem now is that
    it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take me to the desktop. Any more
    suggestions?

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >
    > [Shell]
    > Command=2
    > IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    > [Taskbar]
    > Command=ToggleDesktop
    >
    > Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the desktop.
    > Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    > > Launch'
    > > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how to
    > > get
    > > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    > > sense.
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    > > appreciated.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Kira, What happens when you right click on the taskbar and choose Show the
    Desktop from the context menu? Does that at least work?

    > Hi Nutcase,
    > OK, I did what you suggested and I got the icon. The problem now is that
    > it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take me to the desktop. Any more
    > suggestions?
    >
    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >>
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>
    >> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    >> desktop.
    >> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Can anyone tell me how I could lose my 'Desktop' icon in my 'Quick
    >> > Launch'
    >> > tray? It just disappeared one day. More importantly, I don't know how
    >> > get
    >> > it back or create a new one. I am using Windows XP. I hope this makes
    >> > sense.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you in advance for any help you can give me. It is greatly
    >> > appreciated.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Also, log off and then log on again to see if the new icon becomes active.
    If that doesn't work try a restart. The procedures being recommended are
    available in several sources so I do not think there are any typos.

    > Kira, What happens when you right click on the taskbar and choose Show the
    > Desktop from the context menu? Does that at least work?

    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi Nutcase,
    >> OK, I did what you suggested and I got the icon. The problem now is
    >> that
    >> it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take me to the desktop. Any more
    >> suggestions?
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >>>
    >>> [Shell]
    >>> Command=2
    >>> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    >>> [Taskbar]
    >>> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>>
    >>> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    >>> desktop.
    >>> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Colin,
    Yes, that works.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Kira, What happens when you right click on the taskbar and choose Show the
    > Desktop from the context menu? Does that at least work?

    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Nutcase,
    > > OK, I did what you suggested and I got the icon. The problem now is that
    > > it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take me to the desktop. Any more
    > > suggestions?
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    > >>
    > >> [Shell]
    > >> Command=2
    > >> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    > >> [Taskbar]
    > >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    > >>
    > >> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    > >> desktop.
    > >> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I tried the log off and the restart - neither makes it active.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Also, log off and then log on again to see if the new icon becomes active.
    > If that doesn't work try a restart. The procedures being recommended are
    > available in several sources so I do not think there are any typos.

    > > Kira, What happens when you right click on the taskbar and choose Show the
    > > Desktop from the context menu? Does that at least work?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Nutcase,
    > >> OK, I did what you suggested and I got the icon. The problem now is
    > >> that
    > >> it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take me to the desktop. Any more
    > >> suggestions?

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Then there has to be a typo or something in the fix Rick gave you because
    that is the tried and true method for recovering the icon. The place where
    things get missed is the third line, and the comma after EXE (for which it
    is too easy to substitute a period).

    > Hi Colin,
    > Yes, that works.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Kira, What happens when you right click on the taskbar and choose Show
    >> the
    >> Desktop from the context menu? Does that at least work?
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Nutcase,
    >> > OK, I did what you suggested and I got the icon. The problem now is
    >> > that
    >> > it doesn't do anything. It doesn't take me to the desktop. Any more
    >> > suggestions?

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    IT WORKED!! Thank you so much. You are a genius in my book.
    Can you tell me how to delete all my entries on the "Discussions" page or
    where to learn how?

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Then there has to be a typo or something in the fix Rick gave you because
    > that is the tried and true method for recovering the icon. The place where
    > things get missed is the third line, and the comma after EXE (for which it
    > is too easy to substitute a period).
    >
    > Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >
    > [Shell]
    > Command=2
    > IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    > [Taskbar]
    > Command=ToggleDesktop
    >
    > Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the desktop.
    > Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.

    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi Colin,
    > > Yes, that works.
    > >
    > > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Kira, What happens when you right click on the taskbar and choose Show
    > >> the
    > >> Desktop from the context menu? Does that at least work?
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I have a few "take backs" of my own if you figure it out. Glad to help.

    > IT WORKED!! Thank you so much. You are a genius in my book.
    > Can you tell me how to delete all my entries on the "Discussions" page or
    > where to learn how?
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Then there has to be a typo or something in the fix Rick gave you because
    >> that is the tried and true method for recovering the icon. The place
    >> where
    >> things get missed is the third line, and the comma after EXE (for which
    >> it
    >> is too easy to substitute a period).
    >>
    >> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >>
    >> [Shell]
    >> Command=2
    >> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    >> [Taskbar]
    >> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>
    >> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    >> desktop.
    >> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >>

    >> --
    >> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi Colin,
    >> > Yes, that works.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Thanks for jumping in while I've been away Colin. Nice work.

    --

    >I have a few "take backs" of my own if you figure it out. Glad to help.

    > "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> IT WORKED!! Thank you so much. You are a genius in my book.
    >> Can you tell me how to delete all my entries on the "Discussions" page or
    >> where to learn how?
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Then there has to be a typo or something in the fix Rick gave you
    >>> because
    >>> that is the tried and true method for recovering the icon. The place
    >>> where
    >>> things get missed is the third line, and the comma after EXE (for which
    >>> it
    >>> is too easy to substitute a period).
    >>>
    >>> Copy/paste the below into notepad:
    >>>
    >>> [Shell]
    >>> Command=2
    >>> IconFile=EXPLORER.EXE,3
    >>> [Taskbar]
    >>> Command=ToggleDesktop
    >>>
    >>> Then user file/save_as, call it "show desktop.scf" and save to the
    >>> desktop.
    >>> Drag this back onto the quicklaunch bar.
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> "Kira" <Kira@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    You're welcome. I could almost see what was happening.

Microsoft Quick Launch Windows XP