Upgrades leave computer unbootable.

Msterbeau

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Hi. New member here.. First a few specs on my system. Originally it was a an Antec Plusview 1000 AMG case. The motherboard is an Intel D865PERL. The other significant parts: 3.0Ghz P4, PNY Nvidia 6800GT and 2.5GB PC400 memory. I decided the amount of noise my computer was making in my new house (Wood floors and all) was too much. The primary source of it was coming from the GPU fan and somewhat from the CPU fan. A little research revealed that aftermarket fans work quite well at reducing both noise and temps so I ordered one of each. (Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu for CPU, Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5(Rev3) for the GPU) I also decided update the case for one that was more interesing looking visually then my old one, plus it was lighter and smaller. After carefully transferring everything from one case to the other, including the new fans, I plugged it all in, turned on the powerstrip and it..... emitted a painful continuous tone. All the fans seemed to be functioning, there was power at the front "headlight", the hardrive and power LEDs are on, but it doesn't boot, POST.. Nothing. I checked everything, made a couple changes to drive jumpers and still the annoying tone and no boot. The motherboard documentation is a little sketchy in some areas, especially for the front panel lights and power button.

So... What could be causing the continuous tone and lack of boot? There's lot's of info on beep codes but they don't seem relevant to what's going on with mine.

Can I presume that I've goofed up one of the fan installs since that's really the most significant change?

akhilles

Splendid
Take the mobo, cpu, ram, video out of the case onto a cardboard, hook up the cables, short the PWRSW (look it up in your mobo manual) pins with the tip of a ball pen. There may be a shortout.