The anxiety is building!!!

erikthegreat

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Ok...After spending way to much time here researching during work hours i am close to completing my system. So far i have a gigabyte dq6 mobo rev 2, c2d 6300, 2 gb crucial ballistic ddr 800 cl4, and a ocz gamestream 700 ps (i still have the evostream 720 that i am sending back, but read the gamestream is better/ quieter?). This will be my first attempt at oc'ing and to be quite honest it has me more nervous than a virgin on prom nite! :lol: I still could use some advice to complete the rig. I dont have a case yet, or cooling fans either. I would like the rig to be fairly quiet and cant seem to find much information on good 120mm fans. Also am going with the ac freezer 7 pro unless you talk me out of it? So please any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will keep all up to date on how things progress. ( 1950 xt is in the works as well)

Erik

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
The Freezer Pro is a great cooler. The Scythe Infinity and Tuniq Tower are also great for max air cooling. At the top of their game if you can find/afford either. You can't go wrong with the Freezer Pro either tho, very good for the $.

As for cases, I am seriously thinking along the lines of a NZXT Zero for my next case. It is big enough for some 8800GTXs one day and should fit big coolers nicely. It has lots of 120mm (7 I believe) and one 80mm top blowhole fans. All those and every review I've read they were amazed how quiet it is to have so many fans. I figure it would make a great air-cooled or even watercooled case since it has all that airflow. Its aluminum, and around $149 here.

If thats look is too understated or you need to go cheaper they also have a very well regarded model here for $59 after rebate.

Those are two I like anyway.

G

Antec P180 looks like a sweeeet case.

I just ordered one locally for myself. I have been looking into cases for about 3 weeks now and this seems to be excellent.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I'm sure somewhere someone has done a comparison of these top coolers but I can't seem to find it and since I'm at work can't dedicate a lot of time to the hunt.

Another great cooler btw is the Thermaltake Ultra 120.

I never liked too many of the Antec cases myself for asthetic reasons mostly. That 180 isn't bad and is a little cheaper than the Zero but also doesn't have the cooling potential. Its a tradeoff, depends on what kinda $ you intend to spend.

erikthegreat

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Thanks for the input guys. Still having a hard time with the HSF. It seems that the DQ6 has a few compatibility issues with some heat sinks. Trying to find out a sure list of what works and what doesnt.

Erik

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Talon has some good suggestions for HSF. I use a zalman 9500 and am well pleased with it. I would say any of the top name HSF Zalman 9700, tuniq tower, etc would be good. If I wanted to spend the extra money, I would go with the Tuniq tower and mount a couple of fans to it (I already had my 9500 from a previous build when I built my C2D system).

I also like your choice of memory. I have the same stuff on a crappy MSI p965 platinum board and I am able to hit 990 @ 5-5-5-15.

Good luck

Cappster