Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Premium modules

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:54:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Are they worth the pay and download?

I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go
ahead and spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.

Cheers,
Mikael

More about : premium modules

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:54:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Mikael Schøler" <mikBLA_s@BLAtdcadsl.BLAdk> wrote in message
news:4230a605$0$251$bc7fd3c@news.sonofon.dk...
> Are they worth the pay and download?
>
> I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go ahead
> and spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.
>
> Cheers,
> Mikael

The modules are worth the price but the internet connection requirement to
play is a pain. I hope they find a better way.


P
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 1:01:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Mikael Schøler wrote on 3/10/2005 :
> Are they worth the pay and download?
>
> I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go ahead and
> spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.
>
> Cheers,
> Mikael

They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots
of good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here
that you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved
game for the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their
verification process.

Hope that helped,

DS

--
As we passed on
It seemed as if those scenes
Of visionary enchantment
Would never have an end.

--- Meriwether Lewis.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:38:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Dawnseeker wrote:
> Mikael Schøler wrote on 3/10/2005 :
>
>> Are they worth the pay and download?
>>
>> I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go
>> ahead and spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mikael
>
>
> They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
> good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that
> you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for
> the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification
> process.
>
> Hope that helped,
>
> DS
>
Yeah I heard that it requires an open connection each time I want to
play. It does disturbe me that they use that kind og verification. I
mean, once I have bought the module, it it mine and I should be able to
do with it what I want.

Hm I think I'll wait it out some more and see if they come up with a
better idea.

The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware
homepage? Or do I have to search elsewhere?

Thanks.

Mikael
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 12:22:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

> Yeah I heard that it requires an open connection each time I want to play.
> It does disturbe me that they use that kind og verification. I mean, once
> I have bought the module, it it mine and I should be able to do with it
> what I want.
>
> Hm I think I'll wait it out some more and see if they come up with a
> better idea.
>
> The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware homepage?
> Or do I have to search elsewhere?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mikael

www.nwvault.com


P
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:38:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Mikael Schøler" <mikBLA_s@BLAtdcadsl.BLAdk> wrote in message
news:42314adc$0$252$bc7fd3c@news.sonofon.dk...

> The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware homepage?
> Or do I have to search elsewhere?

http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:15:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Manky Badger wrote:
> "Mikael Schøler" <mikBLA_s@BLAtdcadsl.BLAdk> wrote in message
> news:42314adc$0$252$bc7fd3c@news.sonofon.dk...
>
>
>>The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware homepage?
>>Or do I have to search elsewhere?
>
>
> http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml
>
>
Thanks.. also to Peridot.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 5:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Dawnseeker wrote:

> They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
> good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that
> you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for
> the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification
> process.
>
> Hope that helped,
>
> DS
>

ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to
have an internet conection every time I want to play it?!??! Or we are
talking about different things here (expansions vs. premium modules)...
I'd like to get modules to play by myself (no internet conection in the
place I usually play) but I'm a bit lost. I've visited nwvault but I got
the feeling that most of the modules are multiplayer or designed to
start with a new character. I'd like to keep developing the character I
was using in NWN, though. In fact, one thing I didn't quite understand
of NWN is that I could finish the game with a level 15th fighter and I
couldn't still use many of the items I found, because they required
higher level.... maybe my mistake has been to choose a game clearly
orineted to multiplayer.
Any suggestion to get modules/expansions/whatever to keep on playing
with my favourite character are very welcome.
Thanks
Sergio
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 9:00:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Sergio wrote:
> Dawnseeker wrote:
>
>
>>They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
>>good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that
>>you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for
>>the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification
>>process.
>>
>>Hope that helped,
>>
>>DS
>>
>
>
> ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to
> have an internet conection every time I want to play it?!??!

no no, just if you want to load a saved file from one of the three
premium modules (that can be bought at the online bioware store)...the
expansions don't have this requirement at all...
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:59:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

> ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to
> have an internet conection every time I want to play it?!??! Or we are
> talking about different things here (expansions vs. premium modules)...

Expansions are completly standalone. SOU and HOTU only need an internet
connection if you are getting the updates, and they do stuff like give extra
classes/monsters/weapons etc. The premium modules are games only. No extra
content that can appear in someone else's modules, and no effect on how you
play other modules. The internet connection is a copy protection system that
only appears in the 3 premium modules.

> I'd like to get modules to play by myself (no internet conection in the
> place I usually play) but I'm a bit lost. I've visited nwvault but I got
> the feeling that most of the modules are multiplayer or designed to
> start with a new character.

I can't remember any particular modules for high level characters off hand.
NWN is a bit too quick in experience gaining for there to be much point in
keeping the same character, although there are a few bridging modules
supposed to go between SOU and HOTU, and HOTU starts out with a fairly high
level character. I've never played multiplayer. Most of the modules are
single player, with a few multi player or dual use with a higher starting
level for single player.

> I'd like to keep developing the character I
> was using in NWN, though. In fact, one thing I didn't quite understand
> of NWN is that I could finish the game with a level 15th fighter and I
> couldn't still use many of the items I found, because they required
> higher level.... maybe my mistake has been to choose a game clearly
> orineted to multiplayer.

Perhaps there were some side quests you didn't find. I think I got as far as
17th level with my rogue/fighter on the NWN campaign, and nothing that I
couldn't use except for class or alignment specific items.

> Any suggestion to get modules/expansions/whatever to keep on playing
> with my favourite character are very welcome.

You can definitly use the same one for HOTU, but all your gear is stolen in
the first scene. You will have much cooler stuff by the time you get it
back, so only worth having it to sell later.

HOTU is a follow on from SOU, so a new character in the forst one would
carry on the story nicely.

One of the problems with getting a bit of extra life from one character is
that much of the really cool stuff you pick up in one game may not work in
another, because a lot of the goodies have to be specifically scripted.
Check out the hall of fame modules, The Aelund series, is pretty good. I
just finished act III, and am waiting for act IV to be published. The lords
of darkness series is worth checking out too. Although they both start out
with a new character, youcan get pretty high by the time the game is over.

John
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 3:59:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Thanks both a lot for your helpful comments.
Sergio
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 2:12:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

I'm playing one called Shadow over Heliopolis at the moment which is
designed for your character at the end of HOTU. I've not got too far at the
moment but it seems to be quite well done - none of the annoying unfinished
quests or broken conversations you get with modules sometimes though there
are one or two ellipses in the story. But you're right, the rapid levelling
does limit the life of a character. One thing you can do to extend it is to
keep saving your character at various levels because there are quite a lot
of modules for intermediate level characters - starting at level 5 for
instance. Or you can take them online. Or finally you could find one of
the groups of players (is that called a Guild?) who play together online and
who have modified their online module so that gaining of experience is much
slower - there are quite a few groups do this, usually the ones that say
they are interested in role-playing or story rather than action. I've been
thinking about getting involved with one for some time but my home life is
very busy and I wonder if I have the time to make the commitment - I should
imagine it's only worthwhile if you turn up fairly regularly.

Best wishes
Maxon

"John Bailey" <koihoh@ihoih.com> wrote in message
news:D 1nqr0$tnp$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> I can't remember any particular modules for high level characters off
hand.
> NWN is a bit too quick in experience gaining for there to be much point in
> keeping the same character, although there are a few bridging modules
> supposed to go between SOU and HOTU, and HOTU starts out with a fairly
high
> level character. I've never played multiplayer. Most of the modules are
> single player, with a few multi player or dual use with a higher starting
> level for single player.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 2:29:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:k4T%d.2$DK6.1@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
> I'm playing one called Shadow over Heliopolis at the moment which is
> designed for your character at the end of HOTU. I've not got too far at
> the
> moment but it seems to be quite well done

I've finished that one - it WAS good !!
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 5:43:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

Sergio formulated the question :
> Dawnseeker wrote:
>
>> They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
>> good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that you
>> need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for the
>> premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification process.
>>
>> Hope that helped,
>>
>> DS
>>
>
> ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to have an
> internet conection every time I want to play it?!??! Or we are talking about
> different things here (expansions vs. premium modules)...

I apologize if I didn't make that clear. It is only the three 'Premium
Modules' that have the inconvenient internet requirement... Kingmaker,
Shadowguard, and Witches Wake. Nothing else does, not SOU or HOTU or
any of the free modules off of NWV. Again the internet requirement for
the three 'Premium Modules' happens only when you load a game...

> I'd like to get modules to play by myself (no internet conection in the place
> I usually play) but I'm a bit lost. I've visited nwvault but I got the
> feeling that most of the modules are multiplayer or designed to start with a
> new character. I'd like to keep developing the character I was using in NWN,
> though. In fact, one thing I didn't quite understand of NWN is that I could
> finish the game with a level 15th fighter and I couldn't still use many of
> the items I found, because they required higher level.... maybe my mistake
> has been to choose a game clearly orineted to multiplayer.
> Any suggestion to get modules/expansions/whatever to keep on playing with my
> favourite character are very welcome.
> Thanks
>

Most modules you can keep playing with a favorite character, though
they may be a bit one-sided (in your favor)... It's not usually an
issue with me since it's mostly the exploration / story I'm interested
in anyway.

--
As we passed on
It seemed as if those scenes
Of visionary enchantment
Would never have an end.

--- Meriwether Lewis.
!