Premium modules

Are they worth the pay and download?

I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go
ahead and spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.

Cheers,
Mikael
13 answers Last reply
More about premium modules

    "Mikael Schøler" <mikBLA_s@BLAtdcadsl.BLAdk> wrote in message
    > Are they worth the pay and download?
    >
    > I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go ahead
    > and spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mikael

    The modules are worth the price but the internet connection requirement to
    play is a pain. I hope they find a better way.

    Mikael Schøler wrote on 3/10/2005 :
    > Are they worth the pay and download?
    >
    > I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go ahead and
    > spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mikael

    They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots
    of good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here
    that you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved
    game for the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their
    verification process.

    Hope that helped,

    DS

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes

    --- Meriwether Lewis.

    Dawnseeker wrote:
    > Mikael Schøler wrote on 3/10/2005 :
    >
    >> Are they worth the pay and download?
    >>
    >> I'm asking 'cause it costs me to send the money too, so before I go
    >> ahead and spend the cash, I want to know if they are worth it all.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Mikael
    >

    > They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
    > good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that
    > you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for
    > the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification
    > process.
    >
    > Hope that helped,
    >
    > DS

    Yeah I heard that it requires an open connection each time I want to
    play. It does disturbe me that they use that kind og verification. I
    mean, once I have bought the module, it it mine and I should be able to
    do with it what I want.

    Hm I think I'll wait it out some more and see if they come up with a
    better idea.

    The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware
    homepage? Or do I have to search elsewhere?

    Thanks.

    Mikael
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Yeah I heard that it requires an open connection each time I want to play.
    > It does disturbe me that they use that kind og verification. I mean, once
    > I have bought the module, it it mine and I should be able to do with it
    > what I want.
    >
    > Hm I think I'll wait it out some more and see if they come up with a
    > better idea.
    >
    > The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware homepage?
    > Or do I have to search elsewhere?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Mikael

    www.nwvault.com

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware homepage?
    > Or do I have to search elsewhere?

    http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > "Mikael Schøler" <mikBLA_s@BLAtdcadsl.BLAdk> wrote in message
    >

    >>The free modules. Where are they ? Also available on the Bioware homepage?
    >>Or do I have to search elsewhere?
    >

    > http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/moduleslist2.shtml

    Thanks.. also to Peridot.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Dawnseeker wrote:

    > They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
    > good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that
    > you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for
    > the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification
    > process.
    >
    > Hope that helped,
    >
    > DS

    ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to
    have an internet conection every time I want to play it?!??! Or we are
    talking about different things here (expansions vs. premium modules)...
    I'd like to get modules to play by myself (no internet conection in the
    place I usually play) but I'm a bit lost. I've visited nwvault but I got
    the feeling that most of the modules are multiplayer or designed to
    start with a new character. I'd like to keep developing the character I
    was using in NWN, though. In fact, one thing I didn't quite understand
    of NWN is that I could finish the game with a level 15th fighter and I
    couldn't still use many of the items I found, because they required
    higher level.... maybe my mistake has been to choose a game clearly
    orineted to multiplayer.
    Any suggestion to get modules/expansions/whatever to keep on playing
    with my favourite character are very welcome.
    Thanks
    Sergio
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Sergio wrote:
    > Dawnseeker wrote:
    >

    >>They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
    >>good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that
    >>you need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for
    >>the premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification
    >>process.
    >>
    >>Hope that helped,
    >>
    >>DS
    >>

    > ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to
    > have an internet conection every time I want to play it?!??!

    no no, just if you want to load a saved file from one of the three
    premium modules (that can be bought at the online bioware store)...the
    expansions don't have this requirement at all...
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to
    > have an internet conection every time I want to play it?!??! Or we are
    > talking about different things here (expansions vs. premium modules)...

    Expansions are completly standalone. SOU and HOTU only need an internet
    connection if you are getting the updates, and they do stuff like give extra
    classes/monsters/weapons etc. The premium modules are games only. No extra
    content that can appear in someone else's modules, and no effect on how you
    play other modules. The internet connection is a copy protection system that
    only appears in the 3 premium modules.

    > I'd like to get modules to play by myself (no internet conection in the
    > place I usually play) but I'm a bit lost. I've visited nwvault but I got
    > the feeling that most of the modules are multiplayer or designed to
    > start with a new character.

    I can't remember any particular modules for high level characters off hand.
    NWN is a bit too quick in experience gaining for there to be much point in
    keeping the same character, although there are a few bridging modules
    supposed to go between SOU and HOTU, and HOTU starts out with a fairly high
    level character. I've never played multiplayer. Most of the modules are
    single player, with a few multi player or dual use with a higher starting
    level for single player.

    > I'd like to keep developing the character I
    > was using in NWN, though. In fact, one thing I didn't quite understand
    > of NWN is that I could finish the game with a level 15th fighter and I
    > couldn't still use many of the items I found, because they required
    > higher level.... maybe my mistake has been to choose a game clearly
    > orineted to multiplayer.

    Perhaps there were some side quests you didn't find. I think I got as far as
    17th level with my rogue/fighter on the NWN campaign, and nothing that I
    couldn't use except for class or alignment specific items.

    > Any suggestion to get modules/expansions/whatever to keep on playing
    > with my favourite character are very welcome.

    You can definitly use the same one for HOTU, but all your gear is stolen in
    the first scene. You will have much cooler stuff by the time you get it
    back, so only worth having it to sell later.

    HOTU is a follow on from SOU, so a new character in the forst one would
    carry on the story nicely.

    One of the problems with getting a bit of extra life from one character is
    that much of the really cool stuff you pick up in one game may not work in
    another, because a lot of the goodies have to be specifically scripted.
    Check out the hall of fame modules, The Aelund series, is pretty good. I
    just finished act III, and am waiting for act IV to be published. The lords
    of darkness series is worth checking out too. Although they both start out
    with a new character, youcan get pretty high by the time the game is over.

    John
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Thanks both a lot for your helpful comments.
    Sergio
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I'm playing one called Shadow over Heliopolis at the moment which is
    designed for your character at the end of HOTU. I've not got too far at the
    moment but it seems to be quite well done - none of the annoying unfinished
    quests or broken conversations you get with modules sometimes though there
    are one or two ellipses in the story. But you're right, the rapid levelling
    does limit the life of a character. One thing you can do to extend it is to
    keep saving your character at various levels because there are quite a lot
    of modules for intermediate level characters - starting at level 5 for
    instance. Or you can take them online. Or finally you could find one of
    the groups of players (is that called a Guild?) who play together online and
    who have modified their online module so that gaining of experience is much
    slower - there are quite a few groups do this, usually the ones that say
    they are interested in role-playing or story rather than action. I've been
    thinking about getting involved with one for some time but my home life is
    very busy and I wonder if I have the time to make the commitment - I should
    imagine it's only worthwhile if you turn up fairly regularly.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "John Bailey" <koihoh@ihoih.com> wrote in message
    > I can't remember any particular modules for high level characters off
    hand.
    > NWN is a bit too quick in experience gaining for there to be much point in
    > keeping the same character, although there are a few bridging modules
    > supposed to go between SOU and HOTU, and HOTU starts out with a fairly
    high
    > level character. I've never played multiplayer. Most of the modules are
    > single player, with a few multi player or dual use with a higher starting
    > level for single player.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > I'm playing one called Shadow over Heliopolis at the moment which is
    > designed for your character at the end of HOTU. I've not got too far at
    > the
    > moment but it seems to be quite well done

    I've finished that one - it WAS good !!
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Sergio formulated the question :
    > Dawnseeker wrote:
    >
    >> They're o.k. WW, IMHO, is perhaps the best of them.... there are lots of
    >> good modules for free too though. I'd make a point to mention here that you
    >> need an open internet connection everytime you load a saved game for the
    >> premium modules though. I think it's a part of their verification process.
    >>
    >> Hope that helped,
    >>
    >> DS
    >>

    > ups, let me get it straight... so if I buy the HotU or SoU I have to have an
    > internet conection every time I want to play it?!??! Or we are talking about
    > different things here (expansions vs. premium modules)...

    I apologize if I didn't make that clear. It is only the three 'Premium
    Modules' that have the inconvenient internet requirement... Kingmaker,
    Shadowguard, and Witches Wake. Nothing else does, not SOU or HOTU or
    any of the free modules off of NWV. Again the internet requirement for
    the three 'Premium Modules' happens only when you load a game...

    > I'd like to get modules to play by myself (no internet conection in the place
    > I usually play) but I'm a bit lost. I've visited nwvault but I got the
    > feeling that most of the modules are multiplayer or designed to start with a
    > new character. I'd like to keep developing the character I was using in NWN,
    > though. In fact, one thing I didn't quite understand of NWN is that I could
    > finish the game with a level 15th fighter and I couldn't still use many of
    > the items I found, because they required higher level.... maybe my mistake
    > has been to choose a game clearly orineted to multiplayer.
    > Any suggestion to get modules/expansions/whatever to keep on playing with my
    > favourite character are very welcome.
    > Thanks

    Most modules you can keep playing with a favorite character, though
    they may be a bit one-sided (in your favor)... It's not usually an
    issue with me since it's mostly the exploration / story I'm interested
    in anyway.

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes