Recovery

cris1939

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Win 7 home premimum RAID 0 config. Created image backup with OS onto USB hard drive and then created CD as instructed.

One drive has died. CD boots up loads files and then have the option to select image. The CD menu found the usb drive and the image file but this ended in an error 0x80070490. Looked at my image drive and actual VHD files were two folders deep so I pulled them up one folder. Now the CD software can't find the image file even after moving back to original folder. So I can see a VHD file and several other files associated with each drive that was imaged in the backup task. I have identical drive size in the machine now.

Do I redeliver the WIN 7 home premium in a RAID 0 mode and then recover or can I attached the VHD/files to each drive with the command prompt?

How did you end up with VHD files? That is a virtual hard drive image, used on virtual PC setups, not as system backups.

From Wiki, only Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise can load VHD files as a boot file

Windows 7 support for Native VHD Boot

Native VHD Boot refers to the ability of a physical computer to mount and boot from an operating system contained within a VHD. Windows 7 Enterprise and Ultimate editions support this ability, both with and without a host operating system present. Windows Server 2008 R2 is also compatible with this feature.[8][9]

cris1939

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Let me update the situation. First the backup was made with Win 7 home premium. It imaged both C & E, D being the DVD. In the file set under backupimage you find two VHD files and several XML files. In the original process a bootable CD is created and when used the first time I had an option to select an image file on the USB hard drive with the imagebackup. Didn't work keep getting an error 0x80070490 so I thought I had burried the actual imagefile one folder deeper than needed so I pulled the actual time dated folder up to the first level of the drive. The CD has never been able to find that image file since. Even after moving the files back to the original position on the drive. I have taken the new drives out and attached the backup drive and the new drives to a Win 7 Ultimate machine and tired to attach a VHD file to the new drive and I didn't get any errors. When the drives went back into the original machine there wasn't anything but the recently deleivered Win 7 home premium. So no file/program from original machine made it.

I found Acronics and downloaded a trial version. It found the files and converted the VHD files from Windows format to Acronics format. Took hours.

The menu is straight forward and got it set up to bring in the backup image. It required a reboot after setup which shows the Acronics starting the process and then the screen is blank for a time period I can't tolerate so I terminate the action.

cris1939

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
More update. Convinced myself that the RAID 0 had been defeated earlier. So let's drop the RAID 0 potential problem. Tried Acronis software and it got lost during the reboot. Called for support and got it even with a trial version. Did get excellent support but no fix. Final recommendation to try the software on another computer was a success which redirected my investigation. How does a bootable CD get lost during a reboot? Tried another hard drive, different memory, and loaded latest BIOS with no help. Conclusion; this motherboard has a problem.

To answer hang-the-9 question: I created the VHD files via a windows 7 home premium image backup. It was an option and I took it.

Was not aware that Pro and Ultimate were the only Win 7 versions that can make VHD work.

I'm off to prove the Acronis product can work on a machine with Win 7 Home premium.