Fax question

February 25, 2005 1:29:10 PM

Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy to fix but I can't
see how.

He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
...he just opens up the form which has his name address tel nos etc on..then
types a few lines and prints off

trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of text on page one of
the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each of which has the
word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's all there is -
blank sheets except the word Facsimile.

He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only print page
1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored so that its a one
pager and not a three pager?
Thanks

More about : fax question

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:29:11 PM

The problem is the fax form and what ever company wrote it.
I don't think it is a Windows or MS problem.

That said, a fax is not a WORD document and can not be sent
as a WORD document. A fax is a picture of a document.

Why not try the simple procedure, write a WORD document and
send that as a fax using the built-in Windows fax. Use a
WORD template and on the "File" menu, "Send To..." Fax
recipient.

"Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
| Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy
to fix but I can't
| see how.
|
| He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
| ..he just opens up the form which has his name address tel
nos etc on..then
| types a few lines and prints off
|
| trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of
text on page one of
| the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each
of which has the
| word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's
all there is -
| blank sheets except the word Facsimile.
|
| He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only
print page
| 1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored
so that its a one
| pager and not a three pager?
| Thanks

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 5:45:27 PM

Yes, thanks for that.
I think you are correct. However what friend has been doing is using this
fax form on which are details of his name address tel nos etc on page 1 -
all exactly as he likes it...and then just typing information as required in
the body of the form and sending it as a word document ....just wondering if
there is any way to accomplish what he is after - ie doctoring the fax form
so as to delete pages 2 and 3 of the form and retain just page 1 for his
use?
Thanks

> The problem is the fax form and what ever company wrote it.
> I don't think it is a Windows or MS problem.
>
> That said, a fax is not a WORD document and can not be sent
> as a WORD document. A fax is a picture of a document.
>
> Why not try the simple procedure, write a WORD document and
> send that as a fax using the built-in Windows fax. Use a
> WORD template and on the "File" menu, "Send To..." Fax
> recipient.

> "Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy
> to fix but I can't
> | see how.
> |
> | He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
> | ..he just opens up the form which has his name address tel
> nos etc on..then
> | types a few lines and prints off
> |
> | trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of
> text on page one of
> | the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each
> of which has the
> | word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's
> all there is -
> | blank sheets except the word Facsimile.
> |
> | He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only
> print page
> | 1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored
> so that its a one
> | pager and not a three pager?
> | Thanks

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 5:45:28 PM

| Yes, thanks for that.
| I think you are correct. However what friend has been doing is using this
| fax form on which are details of his name address tel nos etc on page 1 -
| all exactly as he likes it...and then just typing information as required
in
| the body of the form and sending it as a word document ....just wondering
if
| there is any way to accomplish what he is after - ie doctoring the fax
form
| so as to delete pages 2 and 3 of the form and retain just page 1 for his
| use?
| Thanks
|

| "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
| > The problem is the fax form and what ever company wrote it.
| > I don't think it is a Windows or MS problem.
| >
| > That said, a fax is not a WORD document and can not be sent
| > as a WORD document. A fax is a picture of a document.
| >
| > Why not try the simple procedure, write a WORD document and
| > send that as a fax using the built-in Windows fax. Use a
| > WORD template and on the "File" menu, "Send To..." Fax
| > recipient.
| >

| > --
| >

| > "Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
| > | Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy
| > to fix but I can't
| > | see how.
| > |
| > | He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
| > | ..he just opens up the form which has his name address tel
| > nos etc on..then
| > | types a few lines and prints off
| > |
| > | trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of
| > text on page one of
| > | the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each
| > of which has the
| > | word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's
| > all there is -
| > | blank sheets except the word Facsimile.
| > |
| > | He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only
| > print page
| > | 1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored
| > so that its a one
| > | pager and not a three pager?
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > |

The fax service in XP will allow use of a cover page, and allow personal
information to be entered. You don't say what fax software is being used,
but if it's the XP fax printer, when the wizard starts you're given the
opportunity to use a cover page. Just get rid of the form that's being used.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:50:40 PM

Further info...Friend sent me a copy
and I've tried and failed as well.....
The document is shown as three pages. Page 1 is the one that has all his
details thereon - name address tel nos etc...page 2 just has a box covering
most of the page and page 3 is blank.
Now when I view the document in either View Normal of View Web Layout I
can't see the word Facsimile.
When the word doc is on the screen and viewed in Print view that is the only
way I can see to be able to view the word Facsimile...In Print view I can
see all the three pages on the screen together with the word Facsimile on
the top of each...the word Facsimile is in grey. There's also half a line of
standard text at the bottom of each page also greyed.
So what I really want is to get rid of pages 2 and 3 and leave page 1 with
the word Facsimile greyed at the top.
Now if I double click on one of the greyed words Facsimile then that word on
all three pages and the three texts at the bottom of the three pages gets a
dotted box around. Then if I highlight one of the words Facsimile and delete
then they are all are deleted...same with the bit of text at the bottom.
Click save...and then print...I still get three pages...and ALL three words
facsimile and the text have gone - that's fine but the box on page two is
printed an page three is printed blank.
....quietly going up the wall.
Any further suggestions would be welcome.
Thanks

> The problem is the fax form and what ever company wrote it.
> I don't think it is a Windows or MS problem.
>
> That said, a fax is not a WORD document and can not be sent
> as a WORD document. A fax is a picture of a document.
>
> Why not try the simple procedure, write a WORD document and
> send that as a fax using the built-in Windows fax. Use a
> WORD template and on the "File" menu, "Send To..." Fax
> recipient.

> "Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy
> to fix but I can't
> | see how.
> |
> | He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
> | ..he just opens up the form which has his name address tel
> nos etc on..then
> | types a few lines and prints off
> |
> | trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of
> text on page one of
> | the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each
> of which has the
> | word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's
> all there is -
> | blank sheets except the word Facsimile.
> |
> | He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only
> print page
> | 1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored
> so that its a one
> | pager and not a three pager?
> | Thanks

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:50:41 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:50:40 -0000, Jodie wrote:

> Further info...Friend sent me a copy
> and I've tried and failed as well.....
> The document is shown as three pages. Page 1 is the one that has all his
> details thereon - name address tel nos etc...page 2 just has a box covering
> most of the page and page 3 is blank.
> Now when I view the document in either View Normal of View Web Layout I
> can't see the word Facsimile.
> When the word doc is on the screen and viewed in Print view that is the only
> way I can see to be able to view the word Facsimile...In Print view I can
> see all the three pages on the screen together with the word Facsimile on
> the top of each...the word Facsimile is in grey. There's also half a line of
> standard text at the bottom of each page also greyed.
> So what I really want is to get rid of pages 2 and 3 and leave page 1 with
> the word Facsimile greyed at the top.
> Now if I double click on one of the greyed words Facsimile then that word on
> all three pages and the three texts at the bottom of the three pages gets a
> dotted box around. Then if I highlight one of the words Facsimile and delete
> then they are all are deleted...same with the bit of text at the bottom.
> Click save...and then print...I still get three pages...and ALL three words
> facsimile and the text have gone - that's fine but the box on page two is
> printed an page three is printed blank.
> ...quietly going up the wall.
> Any further suggestions would be welcome.
> Thanks

Perhaps there are extra unwanted line breaks in the template? Toggle word
to show all formatting characters to see if they're present.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Now resolved - It was a table cell; just had to select and press
Backspace :-)

!