Fax question

Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy to fix but I can't
see how.

He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
...he just opens up the form which has his name address tel nos etc on..then
types a few lines and prints off

trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of text on page one of
the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each of which has the
word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's all there is -
blank sheets except the word Facsimile.

He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only print page
1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored so that its a one
pager and not a three pager?
Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about question

    The problem is the fax form and what ever company wrote it.
    I don't think it is a Windows or MS problem.

    That said, a fax is not a WORD document and can not be sent
    as a WORD document. A fax is a picture of a document.

    Why not try the simple procedure, write a WORD document and
    send that as a fax using the built-in Windows fax. Use a
    WORD template and on the "File" menu, "Send To..." Fax
    recipient.

    "Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
    | Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy
    to fix but I can't
    | see how.
    |
    | He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
    | ..he just opens up the form which has his name address tel
    nos etc on..then
    | types a few lines and prints off
    |
    | trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of
    text on page one of
    | the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each
    of which has the
    | word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's
    all there is -
    | blank sheets except the word Facsimile.
    |
    | He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only
    print page
    | 1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored
    so that its a one
    | pager and not a three pager?
    | Thanks

    Yes, thanks for that.
    I think you are correct. However what friend has been doing is using this
    fax form on which are details of his name address tel nos etc on page 1 -
    all exactly as he likes it...and then just typing information as required in
    the body of the form and sending it as a word document ....just wondering if
    there is any way to accomplish what he is after - ie doctoring the fax form
    so as to delete pages 2 and 3 of the form and retain just page 1 for his
    use?
    Thanks

    | Yes, thanks for that.
    | I think you are correct. However what friend has been doing is using this
    | fax form on which are details of his name address tel nos etc on page 1 -
    | all exactly as he likes it...and then just typing information as required
    in
    | the body of the form and sending it as a word document ....just wondering
    if
    | there is any way to accomplish what he is after - ie doctoring the fax
    form
    | so as to delete pages 2 and 3 of the form and retain just page 1 for his
    | use?
    | Thanks
    |

    | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    | > The problem is the fax form and what ever company wrote it.
    | > I don't think it is a Windows or MS problem.
    | >
    | > That said, a fax is not a WORD document and can not be sent
    | > as a WORD document. A fax is a picture of a document.
    | >
    | > Why not try the simple procedure, write a WORD document and
    | > send that as a fax using the built-in Windows fax. Use a
    | > WORD template and on the "File" menu, "Send To..." Fax
    | > recipient.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
    | > | Friend has a problem with a fax form...I'm sure its easy
    | > to fix but I can't
    | > | see how.
    | > |
    | > | He uses a fax form to send faxes as a Word document...
    | > | ..he just opens up the form which has his name address tel
    | > nos etc on..then
    | > | types a few lines and prints off
    | > |
    | > | trouble is, even though he types only a small amount of
    | > text on page one of
    | > | the form when he prints it off it shows three pages each
    | > of which has the
    | > | word Facsimile printed on the top...pages 2 and 3 - that's
    | > all there is -
    | > | blank sheets except the word Facsimile.
    | > |
    | > | He knows that at time of printing he can stipulate to only
    | > print page
    | > | 1...but how does he arrange for this form to be doctored
    | > so that its a one
    | > | pager and not a three pager?
    | > | Thanks
    | > |
    | > |

    The fax service in XP will allow use of a cover page, and allow personal
    information to be entered. You don't say what fax software is being used,
    but if it's the XP fax printer, when the wizard starts you're given the
    opportunity to use a cover page. Just get rid of the form that's being used.

    Further info...Friend sent me a copy
    and I've tried and failed as well.....
    The document is shown as three pages. Page 1 is the one that has all his
    details thereon - name address tel nos etc...page 2 just has a box covering
    most of the page and page 3 is blank.
    Now when I view the document in either View Normal of View Web Layout I
    can't see the word Facsimile.
    When the word doc is on the screen and viewed in Print view that is the only
    way I can see to be able to view the word Facsimile...In Print view I can
    see all the three pages on the screen together with the word Facsimile on
    the top of each...the word Facsimile is in grey. There's also half a line of
    standard text at the bottom of each page also greyed.
    So what I really want is to get rid of pages 2 and 3 and leave page 1 with
    the word Facsimile greyed at the top.
    Now if I double click on one of the greyed words Facsimile then that word on
    all three pages and the three texts at the bottom of the three pages gets a
    dotted box around. Then if I highlight one of the words Facsimile and delete
    then they are all are deleted...same with the bit of text at the bottom.
    Click save...and then print...I still get three pages...and ALL three words
    facsimile and the text have gone - that's fine but the box on page two is
    printed an page three is printed blank.
    ....quietly going up the wall.
    Any further suggestions would be welcome.

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:50:40 -0000, Jodie wrote:

    > Further info...Friend sent me a copy
    > and I've tried and failed as well.....
    > The document is shown as three pages. Page 1 is the one that has all his
    > details thereon - name address tel nos etc...page 2 just has a box covering
    > most of the page and page 3 is blank.
    > Now when I view the document in either View Normal of View Web Layout I
    > can't see the word Facsimile.
    > When the word doc is on the screen and viewed in Print view that is the only
    > way I can see to be able to view the word Facsimile...In Print view I can
    > see all the three pages on the screen together with the word Facsimile on
    > the top of each...the word Facsimile is in grey. There's also half a line of
    > standard text at the bottom of each page also greyed.
    > So what I really want is to get rid of pages 2 and 3 and leave page 1 with
    > the word Facsimile greyed at the top.
    > Now if I double click on one of the greyed words Facsimile then that word on
    > all three pages and the three texts at the bottom of the three pages gets a
    > dotted box around. Then if I highlight one of the words Facsimile and delete
    > then they are all are deleted...same with the bit of text at the bottom.
    > Click save...and then print...I still get three pages...and ALL three words
    > facsimile and the text have gone - that's fine but the box on page two is
    > printed an page three is printed blank.
    > ...quietly going up the wall.
    > Any further suggestions would be welcome.
    > Thanks

    Perhaps there are extra unwanted line breaks in the template? Toggle word
    to show all formatting characters to see if they're present.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Now resolved - It was a table cell; just had to select and press
    Backspace :-)

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message

    > "Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > | Yes, thanks for that.
    > | I think you are correct. However what friend has been doing is using
    > this
    > | fax form on which are details of his name address tel nos etc on page
    > 1 -
    > | all exactly as he likes it...and then just typing information as
    > required
    > in
    > | the body of the form and sending it as a word document ....just
    > wondering
    > if
    > | there is any way to accomplish what he is after - ie doctoring the fax
    > form
    > | so as to delete pages 2 and 3 of the form and retain just page 1 for his
    > | use?
    > | Thanks
    > |

    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    > | > The problem is the fax form and what ever company wrote it.
    > | > I don't think it is a Windows or MS problem.
    > | >
    > | > That said, a fax is not a WORD document and can not be sent
    > | > as a WORD document. A fax is a picture of a document.
    > | >
    > | > Why not try the simple procedure, write a WORD document and
    > | > send that as a fax using the built-in Windows fax. Use a
    > | > WORD template and on the "File" menu, "Send To..." Fax
    > | > recipient.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | >

    > | > "Jodie" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > | > to fix but I can't
    > | > |
    > | > nos etc on..then
    > | > |
    > | > text on page one of
    > | > of which has the
    > | > all there is -
    > | > |
    > | > print page
    > | > so that its a one
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > The fax service in XP will allow use of a cover page, and allow personal
    > information to be entered. You don't say what fax software is being used,
    > but if it's the XP fax printer, when the wizard starts you're given the
    > opportunity to use a cover page. Just get rid of the form that's being
    > used.

Fax Document Microsoft Windows XP