Erasing Data on PPC

May 5, 2005 3:16:10 AM

I'd like to export my eWallet data (mostly passwords) to a .txt
file on my PPC and then transfer the file to my PC, print it,
and then put the information in a safe place. Afterwards, I
will delete the .txt file on both machines. I know how to wipe
the file clean on my PC's hard drive. Do I need to worry
about any recovereable data being left in my PPC's main memory
....or does deleting a file totally wipe the file and it's
contents?

Thanks!
Jim

More about : erasing data ppc

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 11:17:43 AM

Hi

I would consider it safe, never seen any tools on the Windows mobile
platforrm that could restore previus deleted files.

--

Regards,
Allan Boegild Pedersen

"Jim" <jim@nospam.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> I'd like to export my eWallet data (mostly passwords) to a .txt
> file on my PPC and then transfer the file to my PC, print it,
> and then put the information in a safe place. Afterwards, I
> will delete the .txt file on both machines. I know how to wipe
> the file clean on my PC's hard drive. Do I need to worry
> about any recovereable data being left in my PPC's main memory
> ...or does deleting a file totally wipe the file and it's
> contents?
>
> Thanks!
> Jim
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:12:05 AM

"Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
| I'd like to export my eWallet data (mostly passwords) to a .txt
| file on my PPC and then transfer the file to my PC, print it,
| and then put the information in a safe place. Afterwards, I
| will delete the .txt file on both machines. I know how to wipe
| the file clean on my PC's hard drive. Do I need to worry
| about any recovereable data being left in my PPC's main memory
| ...or does deleting a file totally wipe the file and it's
| contents?
|
| Thanks!
| Jim

You have more problem with the file on your PC, even deleted files can
be recovered. Deleting just marks the space as available for use and
changes the first letter of the file to a sigma. There are data
recovery companies that can recover info even after a hard disk has
been reformatted. If you want to be secure don't save to your hard
disk- save to a floppy, protect that data, then destroy the floppy.
What are you protecting the file with? passworded zip files can be
cracked as an example.
Related resources
May 6, 2005 12:12:06 AM

alan smith wrote:

> "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | I'd like to export my eWallet data (mostly passwords) to a .txt
> | file on my PPC and then transfer the file to my PC, print it,
> | and then put the information in a safe place. Afterwards, I
> | will delete the .txt file on both machines. I know how to wipe
> | the file clean on my PC's hard drive. Do I need to worry
> | about any recovereable data being left in my PPC's main memory
> | ...or does deleting a file totally wipe the file and it's
> | contents?
> |
> | Thanks!
> | Jim
>
> You have more problem with the file on your PC, even deleted files can
> be recovered. Deleting just marks the space as available for use and
> changes the first letter of the file to a sigma. There are data
> recovery companies that can recover info even after a hard disk has
> been reformatted. If you want to be secure don't save to your hard
> disk- save to a floppy, protect that data, then destroy the floppy.
> What are you protecting the file with? passworded zip files can be
> cracked as an example.

Alan,

That's a very good point. If I synch the file to my PC with Activesync
and then copy directly to a floppy, will this bypass the PC's hard drive?
I'm looking for a good encryption program that does a good job encrypting
data to a floppy. Most of the ones I've seen are for setting up encryption
on a hard drive. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jim
May 6, 2005 12:12:06 AM

alan smith wrote:

> "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
> | I'd like to export my eWallet data (mostly passwords) to a .txt
> | file on my PPC and then transfer the file to my PC, print it,
> | and then put the information in a safe place. Afterwards, I
> | will delete the .txt file on both machines. I know how to wipe
> | the file clean on my PC's hard drive. Do I need to worry
> | about any recovereable data being left in my PPC's main memory
> | ...or does deleting a file totally wipe the file and it's
> | contents?
> |
> | Thanks!
> | Jim
>
> You have more problem with the file on your PC, even deleted files can
> be recovered. Deleting just marks the space as available for use and
> changes the first letter of the file to a sigma. There are data
> recovery companies that can recover info even after a hard disk has
> been reformatted. If you want to be secure don't save to your hard
> disk- save to a floppy, protect that data, then destroy the floppy.
> What are you protecting the file with? passworded zip files can be
> cracked as an example.

Alan,

That's a very good point. If I synch the file to my PC with Activesync
and then copy directly to a floppy, will this bypass the PC's hard drive?
I'm looking for a good encryption program that does a good job encrypting
data to a floppy. Most of the ones I've seen are for setting up encryption
on a hard drive. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jim
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:58:49 AM

| alan smith wrote:
| >
| > "Jim" <jim@nospam.net> wrote in message
| > | I'd like to export my eWallet data (mostly passwords) to a .txt
| > | file on my PPC and then transfer the file to my PC, print it,
| > | and then put the information in a safe place. Afterwards, I
| > | will delete the .txt file on both machines. I know how to wipe
| > | the file clean on my PC's hard drive. Do I need to worry
| > | about any recovereable data being left in my PPC's main memory
| > | ...or does deleting a file totally wipe the file and it's
| > | contents?
| > |
| > | Thanks!
| > | Jim
| >
| > You have more problem with the file on your PC, even deleted files
can
| > be recovered. Deleting just marks the space as available for use
and
| > changes the first letter of the file to a sigma. There are data
| > recovery companies that can recover info even after a hard disk has
| > been reformatted. If you want to be secure don't save to your hard
| > disk- save to a floppy, protect that data, then destroy the floppy.
| > What are you protecting the file with? passworded zip files can be
| > cracked as an example.
|
| Alan,
|
| That's a very good point. If I synch the file to my PC with
Activesync
| and then copy directly to a floppy, will this bypass the PC's hard
drive?
| I'm looking for a good encryption program that does a good job
encrypting
| data to a floppy. Most of the ones I've seen are for setting up
encryption
| on a hard drive. Any suggestions?
|
| Thanks!
| Jim

when connected use file explorer to copy the file. your ppc will be a
connected device. Or use the file explorer part of Activesync.

The programs you are looking at may well be suitable- it's the program
you are installing to your hard drive not the data.

There are ppc data encryption programs too, Resco explorer has strong
encryption. RC2, RC5
128 bit, 3 DES 112 and 168 bit amongst them. You could encrypt
directly on your ppc and transfer the encrypted file. Depending on the
data format this could be decrypted/read on your PC, or exchanged as
encrypted data if you get a similar type PC program- this seems to be
the most secure option- if a little more expensive. It all depends on
your needs.
May 8, 2005 3:24:27 PM

> | Thanks!
> | Jim
>
> when connected use file explorer to copy the file. your ppc will be a
> connected device. Or use the file explorer part of Activesync.
>
> The programs you are looking at may well be suitable- it's the program
> you are installing to your hard drive not the data.
>
> There are ppc data encryption programs too, Resco explorer has strong
> encryption. RC2, RC5
> 128 bit, 3 DES 112 and 168 bit amongst them. You could encrypt
> directly on your ppc and transfer the encrypted file. Depending on the
> data format this could be decrypted/read on your PC, or exchanged as
> encrypted data if you get a similar type PC program- this seems to be
> the most secure option- if a little more expensive. It all depends on
> your needs.

Alan,

Yes, I just remembered that I have Resco Explorer on my PPC. It's also
on the desktop. So I'll move the encrypted file to a floppy for safekeeping.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Jim
!