Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Before anyone jumps down my back, i read the FAQ, but I don't appear to know enough about the basics, so it wasn't much help as most of it was for more complicated network applications.

I have a samsung CLP-500 and a PortThru ML-00NB nic card. It is plugged into my router (which is currently being used as a hub). I am using windows server 2003.

I want to share the printer with this computer and the others on this network (other computers use xp, but shouldn't be much of a difference in set up).

Does anyone know of a good walkthrough to explain how to do this?

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Since you have Windows Server 2003, there might be a more sophisticated way of doing this, but this will work.

Your CLP 500 has a 10/100BASE-T ethernet port, correct?

Run an ordinary (i.e. not crossover) Cat5e / RJ45 cable from your printer's ethernet port to your router / hub. Look through your printer documentation on network setup for the printer itself. Set your router up according to this documentation so everyone can "find" the printer on the network. Make note of the printer's ethernet address (e.g. http://192.x.x.x or whatever); you'll need to know this to "add printer" to each of the computers on your LAN.

Go to each computer on your LAN and go through the "add printers" setup in the Control Panel. Load your printer's drivers, if necessary.

Run a test print.

Done.

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I figured out how to do everything. I just can't remember what my router login ip addy is :lol: . So I'm trying to figure that out (been too long since i've altered it and used it). I should be able to figure it out from here. Thanks.