P5B Deluxe boots so slooooow..

Talin

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
I've got a Core 2 Duo 6600 in a P5B, latest bios, overclocked to 3.2ghz. Runs great once it comes up, but takes like 5-10 minutes to boot up. Anyone else notice this? Any ideas why this might be? I have the quick boot options and such all turned on, it's not the Windows OS that's doing it, it's before it even gets to that part. It kind of gets to the Press Del to go into the settings point and hangs for a long time.

Filur

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
...sorry in advance for an unprecise answer. :)

On my P5W DH I remember having a similar problem, and the solution was to disable the hardware monitoring in the BIOS and one more thing, which I alas can't remember what was. Try google slow boot and P5W (or similar) and see whether the advise for P5W also works for P5B.

Good luck.

Filur

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Found the tips for P5W...which worked for me....

Extremely slow POST - Disable all Q-Fan controls in "Hardware Monitor"

POST lock up during Detecting IDE Devices - Restart and plug in some USB storage OR change SATA harddrive to other header.

Slow POST (SATA Only Users) - If you're running all SATA drives (Optical and HDD) .. and are getting slow boot times mark the IDE ports and "not installed" in the bios .. saves you the 30sec detection time for each drive.

Talin

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
Thank you all for your suggestions. I want to check out some of the other ideas you've all posted. I did find out what the BIG problem was, though. Someone else had a post about slow booting with an external usb drive. While I didn't have an external USB drive, I did notice that the bios post message was actually at the usb drive detection stage when it hung up. I ended up unplugging my HP all-in-one printer and now it boots much faster. I don't know if something else will make it so that I can keep the printer plugged in when I turn the PC on, but for now, plugging the usb in after it boots isn't a big hassel, compared to waiting 10-15 minutes for Windows to even start loading.

The HP printer has a card reader on it that the OS sees as USB drives, so that makes sense that it would have a similar hang up as USB drives. My in-laws have an HP all-in-one printer and are also having issues with long boot times. If you find a resolution to this problem other than leaving the printer unplugged, post back to help others out.

Sonic_Reducer

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
teher's an option on the USB area of the bios wich is related to the usb legacy maybe you should disable it, maybe it works... just wondering