Online Game Types

Ok!

After Googling for a bit I found some good info about persistent worlds and
the concept on which they "turn".

When going online in Neverwinter Nights I get to choose one of several game
types. Two of which are obviously in persistent worlds, but what are the
others - Story, Action, Team, Social, Tech Support, Alternative, Arena,
Story Lite and Solo?

I figured Arena might be PvP servers and Story (Lite) and Action RP
servers, but not in persistent worlds. If not PW how do these servers
(worlds) work? And what are these other game types?

Does anyone know some good websites where I can find info on the different
online game types? I have tried looking for it on planetneverwinter.com and
neverwinterconnections.com, but there doesn't seem to be any info on it.

Thanx (again) in advance!

C.
2 answers Last reply
More about online game types

    Chris de Bruin wrote:
    > Ok!
    >
    > After Googling for a bit I found some good info about persistent worlds and
    > the concept on which they "turn".
    >
    > When going online in Neverwinter Nights I get to choose one of several game
    > types. Two of which are obviously in persistent worlds, but what are the
    > others - Story, Action, Team, Social, Tech Support, Alternative, Arena,
    > Story Lite and Solo?
    >
    > I figured Arena might be PvP servers and Story (Lite) and Action RP
    > servers, but not in persistent worlds. If not PW how do these servers
    > (worlds) work? And what are these other game types?
    >
    > Does anyone know some good websites where I can find info on the different
    > online game types? I have tried looking for it on planetneverwinter.com and
    > neverwinterconnections.com, but there doesn't seem to be any info on it.
    >
    > Thanx (again) in advance!
    >
    > C.
    Hi,
    Basically they allow DMs to choose a descriptive word for the type of
    game they are running. In themselves they do not alter the gameplay.
    CS

    --

    Take the piss to mail me.
    (For those that want to know who the

    It should be noted that not all players are looking for the same type of
    game and it goes without saying that there's more than one type out there.
    Some games are not meant to be persistent. An example would be a server that
    hosts small mods. There is a select group or perhaps anyone on the server
    plays as a member of a single party. The party adventures until they have
    completed the small mod and then the game resets itself automaticly. Maybe
    each week, a new small mod is put up to continue the story or provide
    variety.

    There are still more servers that are only test servers. They'll take
    players if they happen to logon, but the server only hosts mods being tested
    or has a mission somewhere along those lines.

    I myself am a server admin. I run a PW Story server. But I dont tend to
    think of the server the same as the mod. My servers mission is to host
    Classic NWN mods and that's it. It's not important as to the actual mod
    itself. Could be an adult oriented mod and that would still qualify to be
    hosted on my server as long as it's classic NWN. It doesnt even have to be
    persistent. While my own server is better known for the same persistent
    world it has hosted for more than a year now, hosting that particular mod is
    not what my servers main mission is all about. I tend to think of the server
    as more of a gateway name and the actual mod hosted being the topic of
    discussion. I could have 3 or 4 servers all named the same thing and in the
    same or different listings on game spy. What it comes down to is what is the
    theme or purpose of the particular mod.

Games Servers Video Games