Can I extend the reach of my laptop wireless signal?

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
I know this is posted in another section here but the last time anyone did ANYTHING in that section was over two weeks ago. I'm desperate.

Here's the deal:

I live in a house that's divided into apartments. The owner of the house has a standard G router on the top floor and says whoever lives in the house can use it. I live on the bottom floor (2 stories in all + finished basement - where I live). I have little-to-no signal on my laptop built-in wireless.

I can't exactly go into the other apartments and put a range extender in one of them, so that option is out.

So, will getting a good MIMO card (say, the Netgear Rangemax 240) help me get a longer reach/better signal to the standard G router on high or should I spring for the MIMO router and ask the owner of the house to use that instead?

Help guys!

Thanks!

lizzardking

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
My internal Wireless card in my Dell Laptop crapped itself not long ago (surprise surprise)
I got myself a Dlink DWL-650M MIMO card.
It has on average 25 - 40% better signal strength than the internal.

Wireless is temperamental, depending on environmental factors, what the signal has to penetrate etc. etc.

krazynutz

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
Wow, ok thanks! I can try that card then. I just read that the Netgear card increases shortrange signal and throughput immensely but is mediocre on range boosting without its series router. I'll try the D Link card for now. I'll let you know how things work out!