Gremalcon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I am looking at building an AMD quad core system later this year, when AMD comes out with them. What I would like to know, is best recommendations for mainboard, powersource, cooling and hdd (2 of them at least 200gb each). I want to build the quietest system possible and am interested in liquid cooling. I am also interested in crossfire(?) where you use two video cards. I am also thinking of switching to ATI.

I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to choosing components but I can put a system together properly. I am just not up on what works best with what or even what is available anymore. So would those of you who are in the know please make suggestions on the various components? I would appreciate it.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Well, I'm not too sure about the socket compatibilities of the Quad-cores with the AM2 sockets but I'll tell you that if you want an idea of what you should be looking at just look around sites like Dell or Alienware, look at computers in the price range you're willing to spend and then do a little research.

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
a lot of Tomshardware home page reading and article culling goes a long way on this question, i could write volumes but there's no time. do a search on "the best" in tomshardware, you will get ur answers.

First of all, Mr. Dangerous, how much do u want to spend?

Gremalcon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
When I first started posting here, they actually had people who could and would give answers rather than telling you they don't know or to go do research. I guess nothing good lasts forever.

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
When I first started posting here, they actually had people who could and would give answers rather than telling you they don't know or to go do research. I guess nothing good lasts forever.

Normally I, and most people on these Forumz do give advice, but the thing is that when someone here just posts a thread that's rather vague, where are we supposed to start? Give us a better idea of what you're looking for.

What are you using the computer for?
What kind of a budget are you working with?
What are you looking at as of right now and what would you like us to revise?

I understand how you'd feel like we're just telling you to do your own research is kind of mean, but how else do you learn? I mean you can learn from others, but we're not going to do everything. I mean I'm not trying to sound like an ass, just trying to get my point across.

As of now the only thing I know about the AMD quads is that they'll run on the AM2+ and AM3 sockets. That and SLI/X-fire aren't worth the money.

Gremalcon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I was not vague in the least. I told you exactly what I was looking for. I listed the specific components I wanted info on. The only thing I did not list, because you cannot have a system without it, is ram. I figured that anyone who knew what they were talking about, would know that a new system, with a completely new cpu would need the best ram, so why bother. What I listed in my original post was

AMD quadcore
Mainboard for said processor
powersource
cooling (I specified liquid for the silence)
dual video cards (I mentioned crossfire, but there is also SLI from nvidia)
2 HDDs (I specified a size of no less than 200gb)

I then asked for recommendations, which used to result in replies listing sets that would avoid hardware conflicts. I was not vague.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Well, I'm not too sure about the socket compatibilities of the Quad-cores with the AM2 sockets but I'll tell you that if you want an idea of what you should be looking at just look around sites like Dell or Alienware, look at computers in the price range you're willing to spend and then do a little research.
You're recommending an OEM on this site? :?

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I am looking at building an AMD quad core system later this year, when AMD comes out with them. What I would like to know, is best recommendations for mainboard, powersource, cooling and hdd (2 of them at least 200gb each). I want to build the quietest system possible and am interested in liquid cooling. I am also interested in crossfire(?) where you use two video cards. I am also thinking of switching to ATI.

I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to choosing components but I can put a system together properly. I am just not up on what works best with what or even what is available anymore. So would those of you who are in the know please make suggestions on the various components? I would appreciate it.

You may want to keep tabs on this:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6021

It's kind of tough to point you in a good direction for a system you say you are planning to build later this year. As fast as things change, and the way prices go up and down, it's really a crap shoot to predict the best items now for something a few months down the road. No benchmarks or tests are available, pricing is pure speculation. Your entire line of thinking about your new build could change completely in 3 months.
When the parts do become available that you are waiting on, and you decide that now is the time to build, then you will have a lot of good opinion and ideas given. Right now, there are lot of new things on the horizon with quad core CPU's and DX10 Video cards, not to mention what will happen with Vista in the next few months!

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
You're recommending an OEM on this site? :?

No, I'm not recommending an OEM on this site. What I'm saying is to like look at what they're equipped with... and use that as a starting point. Then work on from there

Also @ OP.

It was a bit vague. I mean you basically came in here saying "ok, new computer, need ideas" gave us a few broad terms and then yeah.

Now. What do you want to do with this system? Gaming? Professional work like a workstation? Media Center? Give us an idea, because what we recommend is based off of the intended purpose.

NamelessMC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2005

Sorry guys, but I'm not toodling through the tulips with this guy. I'll just be blunt.

First of all, you're about 1 can short of being a full 6 pack of stupid.

The AMD quad-cores are not only not out, but they haven't put out any tech demos, engineering samples or beta products to main board manufacturers.

So the answer to your question is, "There is no best mainboard for the quad-cores". We can speculate that ASUS, Gigabyte, ABIT and DFI will have the best boards, you just have to wait a few revisions for there to be a reliable version of the Nforce 6 or whatever Northbridge is out that uses them.

Second of all, no one here is going to take you seriously planning that far ahead. You're obviously a fan boy, and we don't respect fan boys around here. The reason for that is because fan boys have no interest in the "best parts". They are only interested in the brands they want to have in their machine.

If you want advice on a fan boy build, just build an AM2 build for $1000 through recommendations on a crappy AMD third party forum, and PRETEND in your mind with a lot of imagination and no emphasis on facts, that your OMGPWNEDBBQsauce AMD system is actually "better" than what Intel has.

If you want SOLID advice though, just save your money, let go of your AMD ties and just see who has the best stuff later this year.

Gremalcon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I did not ask for the absolute best, I asked for recommendations, what you think is best, because everyone has their own likes for their own reasons. This used to be a really excellent forum, now, it is full of pricks, assholes and idiots. I am through here. Too bad the good forumers left and all you jerks moved in.

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
If the so claimed people left, I wonder why they would do that? Most like to called pricks and idiots when they try to help. Many people including myself won't chime on a new post or general what parts do I buy? There are a couple hundred a day, and some people actually show appriecation for the ideas they receive at a cost they can afford.

pshrk

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I would get an AM2+ motherboard which should be available when the quad core AMD procs come out. An AM2 mobo should work with the AMD quad core procs but won't support the newer hyper-transport technology (among other possible features as well) present in the AM2+ motherboards. Soon the R600 video cards will be out and you will probably want to get one of those, but wait and find out how the benchmarks turn out.

Don't limit yourself by deciding on components now if you don't plan to build for a while.

I don't know alot about water cooling, but I would go with a seagate drive or a WD raptor if you want to spend a little more. Check out the Thermaltake toughpower PSUs, they are reasonable quality for a reasonable price (I think).

Maybe people aren't being as helpful as you would like because of your attitude, next time show a little appreciation. I think everyone here gave you good advice, but maybe it just wasn't the advice you wanted to hear...

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
GUYS GUYS@!!!! I cannot remember WHEN I have LAFFED and cried HARDER!!!

"Sorry guys, but I'm not toodling through the tulips with this guy. I'll just be blunt.

First of all, you're about 1 can short of being a full 6 pack of stupid."(((((LAFFING the most HARD with tears!!!!!)))))

"The noob" (((((LAFFING even HARDer!!!)))))

azzzholes n pricks!!!! (((((LAFFING SOO HARD!!!)))))

Hey grem i love ya, i speak for the other ppl too, they love u too!!
if i ever win the lotto grem, i'll buy u 10 quad cores!! Umm thats after i supply the Federation of the Blind and Deaf with free quads too!

cmon bro..we all just messin with ya...All 3 of u remind me of the Laurel and Hardy skits me and my fam have gone thru!

PRICELESS!! (from Liar Liar)

hey grem i was the 1st to roast ya....and u then did me....u were PRICELESS grem!! :)

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
hey grem, got some info for ya, did a search on GOOGLE fer ya fer :

"quad core motherboard"

Abit announced a mutli use board on this URL

check it out!

so for pent d's , c2d, and quads, sounds like a nice board...and i'm a big fan of Abit :)

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/18/abit_aw9d/