Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Toronto HDTV OTA setup not working - please help

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 5:02:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

OK, i am trying to get OTA HDTV and I cannot seem to get anything. I
am using a Hughes E86 HDTV receive I bought cheap on ebay now that DTV
is dead here in Canada. I should be able to use this as my OTA box.
I have an external antenna on the roof. It is a radio shack rootor
antenna made by Intertan. It is an amplified UHF/VHF antenna. I can
get all the local channels and some Buffalo ones but am unable to get
the CITY HD on 53 or the CTV HD channels. Incidentally I have a
Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV.

Do I need a specific HDTV antenna? I thought I just needed a UHF
antenna.

Any help is appreciated!!

jam
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 9:23:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:f06ef4a.0406291202.31348265@posting.google.com...
> I can
> get all the local channels and some Buffalo ones but am unable to get
> the CITY HD on 53 or the CTV HD channels. Incidentally I have a
> Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV.
>
> Do I need a specific HDTV antenna? I thought I just needed a UHF
> antenna.

Geez - that's what I get for listening to 'sales' people. 'Are there OTA HD
channels in TO?' "no, just on Cable"

Sheesh.

>
> Any help is appreciated!!
>
> jam
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 9:27:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:f06ef4a.0406291202.31348265@posting.google.com...
> OK, i am trying to get OTA HDTV and I cannot seem to get anything. I
> am using a Hughes E86 HDTV receive I bought cheap on ebay now that DTV
> is dead here in Canada. I should be able to use this as my OTA box.
> I have an external antenna on the roof. It is a radio shack rootor
> antenna made by Intertan. It is an amplified UHF/VHF antenna. I can
> get all the local channels and some Buffalo ones but am unable to get
> the CITY HD on 53 or the CTV HD channels. Incidentally I have a
> Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV.

CITY is currently broadcasting at very low power. Depending on where you are
and how big your antenna is, you may not be able to get it. Can you get
Toronto1 on channel 66?

CTV is not broadcasting over the air yet (just a feed on cable - but don't
worry, they don't have anything not available from Buffalo anyways). Here's
what's out there, the plusses indicate my ability to receive in Markham with
a big antenna system...

14 +++++ Fox
32 +++++ UPN (currently CBS)
33 ++ NBC
34 WB (very very very low power from Buffalo, so don't expect it...)
38 ++++ ABC
39 +++ CBS
43 +++++ PBS
53 +++++ CITY
66 +++++ Toronto1

--

Daniel Tonks
Remote Central - http://www.remotecentral.com/
Related resources
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:31:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

thanks for al the replies guys...it appears as though this is somewhat
hopeless. I live in Bolton about 50 kms north of Toronto and get
perfect analog channel from CITY and Global and CTV etc... I was
thinking that I could use the hughes to get the DTV signals with it.
It sounds like I either need to move to beside the antenna or at least
see it from my house. This is a bummer.

I have heard some advice that I need to get City on 53-1 and Toronto 1
on 66-1. My quesiton is how do you fnid the -1 channels? All I get
in the setup is the analog ones, it does not allow me to punch in the
digital (-1) channel numbers.

Thanks in advance.

jam


"pe" <pt_notreally_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<I5lEc.76333$Ax1.583377@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> "spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:f06ef4a.0406291202.31348265@posting.google.com...
> > I can
> > get all the local channels and some Buffalo ones but am unable to get
> > the CITY HD on 53 or the CTV HD channels. Incidentally I have a
> > Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV.
> >
> > Do I need a specific HDTV antenna? I thought I just needed a UHF
> > antenna.
>
> Geez - that's what I get for listening to 'sales' people. 'Are there OTA HD
> channels in TO?' "no, just on Cable"
>
> Sheesh.
>
> >
> > Any help is appreciated!!
> >
> > jam
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 12:33:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Thanks Daniel - what antenna are you using and what set top box to get
those in Markham? i am in Bolton about the same dist away and cannot
recieve 66 or 53 etc. I get City on 57 perfectly.

Is this like sat where I need line of sight to the tower?.

jam

"Daniel Tonks" <dtonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM> wrote in message news:<40e1dea7$0$30602$a1866201@authen.newsreader.visi.com>...
> "spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:f06ef4a.0406291202.31348265@posting.google.com...
> > OK, i am trying to get OTA HDTV and I cannot seem to get anything. I
> > am using a Hughes E86 HDTV receive I bought cheap on ebay now that DTV
> > is dead here in Canada. I should be able to use this as my OTA box.
> > I have an external antenna on the roof. It is a radio shack rootor
> > antenna made by Intertan. It is an amplified UHF/VHF antenna. I can
> > get all the local channels and some Buffalo ones but am unable to get
> > the CITY HD on 53 or the CTV HD channels. Incidentally I have a
> > Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV.
>
> CITY is currently broadcasting at very low power. Depending on where you are
> and how big your antenna is, you may not be able to get it. Can you get
> Toronto1 on channel 66?
>
> CTV is not broadcasting over the air yet (just a feed on cable - but don't
> worry, they don't have anything not available from Buffalo anyways). Here's
> what's out there, the plusses indicate my ability to receive in Markham with
> a big antenna system...
>
> 14 +++++ Fox
> 32 +++++ UPN (currently CBS)
> 33 ++ NBC
> 34 WB (very very very low power from Buffalo, so don't expect it...)
> 38 ++++ ABC
> 39 +++ CBS
> 43 +++++ PBS
> 53 +++++ CITY
> 66 +++++ Toronto1
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 3:58:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:f06ef4a.0406291933.9241ed3@posting.google.com...
> Thanks Daniel - what antenna are you using and what set top box to get
> those in Markham? i am in Bolton about the same dist away and cannot
> recieve 66 or 53 etc. I get City on 57 perfectly.
>
> Is this like sat where I need line of sight to the tower?.


You seem to be a bit further from the CN Tower than I, but that shouldn't
make too much difference. Could be terrain (tall buildings or trees in the
way?), or it could be that your antenna isn't big enough. Make sure 57 is
clear, then punch in 53. I don't know how your Hughes works, but with my
receiver if there's a digital signal it'll find it automatically. Also try
fine tweaking with the rotor - weak signals can sometimes have a narrow
window of reception.

I'm using a vertical stack of two Televes DAT75 UHF antennas on a 44' tower,
with a Channel Plus preamp, RG6 all the way, and a Samung SIR-T165 receiver
(it's HDTV only). I have no line-of-sight (which would help greatly) to
anything to the south, but the big antenna system helps overcome some of
that.

In terms of CITY, remember that they're broadcasting analog at 280 KW, but
under 1 KW for digital. Also note that 66 is broadcasting at under 3 KW,
again very low power.

--

Daniel Tonks
Remote Central - http://www.remotecentral.com/
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 11:43:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

You are using a "Yugo" as an antenna when compared to the setup that Daniel
Tonks is using.

Antenna placement is critical as well - a few feet one way or the other can
make a big difference. Experiment with placement.

Height is also important - the higher the better

Cheaply built amplifiers can actually be a detrement - actually blocking
weak signals when strong signals are nearby.


"spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:f06ef4a.0406291202.31348265@posting.google.com...
> OK, i am trying to get OTA HDTV and I cannot seem to get anything. I
> am using a Hughes E86 HDTV receive I bought cheap on ebay now that DTV
> is dead here in Canada. I should be able to use this as my OTA box.
> I have an external antenna on the roof. It is a radio shack rootor
> antenna made by Intertan. It is an amplified UHF/VHF antenna. I can
> get all the local channels and some Buffalo ones but am unable to get
> the CITY HD on 53 or the CTV HD channels. Incidentally I have a
> Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV.
>
> Do I need a specific HDTV antenna? I thought I just needed a UHF
> antenna.
>
> Any help is appreciated!!
>
> jam
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 2:23:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"pe" <pt_notreally_@sympatico.ca> wrote in
news:I5lEc.76333$Ax1.583377@news20.bellglobal.com:

> "spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:f06ef4a.0406291202.31348265@posting.google.com...
>> I can
>> get all the local channels and some Buffalo ones but am unable to get
>> the CITY HD on 53 or the CTV HD channels. Incidentally I have a
>> Toshiba 34HF81 HDTV.
>>
>> Do I need a specific HDTV antenna? I thought I just needed a UHF
>> antenna.
>
> Geez - that's what I get for listening to 'sales' people. 'Are there
> OTA HD channels in TO?' "no, just on Cable"

CITY is on in Toronto and is gearing up in Vancouver. CTV is also
getting geared up here on the west coast. Don't know what their status
is in TO.

Personally, I'm using Star Choice as I'm far enough up the valley so that
TV sigs from Vancouver are a bit on the weak side.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

A false witness is worse than no witness at all.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 4:34:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Daniel thanks for replying to my query on the hdtv reception from
toronto yesterday. I ultimately got it working but the sinal for the
digitials is under 40 for most from buffalo. I suspect that I need to
upgrade my antenna to something similar to your Televes DAT45. Where
did you buy it locally or online? As well - where did you buy the
preamp that you mention?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

"Daniel Tonks" <dtonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM> wrote in message news:<40e23a7c$0$32612$a1866201@authen.newsreader.visi.com>...
> "spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:f06ef4a.0406291933.9241ed3@posting.google.com...
> > Thanks Daniel - what antenna are you using and what set top box to get
> > those in Markham? i am in Bolton about the same dist away and cannot
> > recieve 66 or 53 etc. I get City on 57 perfectly.
> >
> > Is this like sat where I need line of sight to the tower?.
>
>
> You seem to be a bit further from the CN Tower than I, but that shouldn't
> make too much difference. Could be terrain (tall buildings or trees in the
> way?), or it could be that your antenna isn't big enough. Make sure 57 is
> clear, then punch in 53. I don't know how your Hughes works, but with my
> receiver if there's a digital signal it'll find it automatically. Also try
> fine tweaking with the rotor - weak signals can sometimes have a narrow
> window of reception.
>
> I'm using a vertical stack of two Televes DAT75 UHF antennas on a 44' tower,
> with a Channel Plus preamp, RG6 all the way, and a Samung SIR-T165 receiver
> (it's HDTV only). I have no line-of-sight (which would help greatly) to
> anything to the south, but the big antenna system helps overcome some of
> that.
>
> In terms of CITY, remember that they're broadcasting analog at 280 KW, but
> under 1 KW for digital. Also note that 66 is broadcasting at under 3 KW,
> again very low power.
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:34:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:f06ef4a.0406301134.6625f527@posting.google.com...
> Daniel thanks for replying to my query on the hdtv reception from
> toronto yesterday. I ultimately got it working but the sinal for the
> digitials is under 40 for most from buffalo. I suspect that I need to
> upgrade my antenna to something similar to your Televes DAT45. Where
> did you buy it locally or online? As well - where did you buy the
> preamp that you mention?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Heh, imported the antennas from the UK - made in Spain. Not cheap after
shipping, but considered by many to be the best one available. However,
there are some more local ones that are almost as good, I think from
Winegard and Channel Master.

The preamp - sorry it's a Channel Master 7778, not Channel Plus. Purchased
everything but the antennas from the local(ish) antenna place, Andrews in
Uxbridge.

--

Daniel Tonks
Remote Central - http://www.remotecentral.com/
Anonymous
June 30, 2004 9:39:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
news:Xns951822B6FC6ECdoldridgsprintca@24.71.223.159...
>
> CITY is on in Toronto and is gearing up in Vancouver. CTV is also
> getting geared up here on the west coast. Don't know what their status
> is in TO.


Heh, the phrase "gearing up" likely applies to CTV here in Toronto as well,
but so could the phrase "in their sweet time". Although, considering that
their biggest HDTV ambition seems to be to plaster a big opaque CTV logo
over US broadcasts... but maybe they'll do "Corner Gas" in HD. :-)

--

Daniel Tonks
Remote Central - http://www.remotecentral.com/
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 4:33:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Daniel Tonks" <dtonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM> wrote in
news:40e332fe$0$95460$a1866201@authen.newsreader.visi.com:

> "Dave Oldridge" <doldridg@leavethisoutshaw.ca> wrote in message
> news:Xns951822B6FC6ECdoldridgsprintca@24.71.223.159...
>>
>> CITY is on in Toronto and is gearing up in Vancouver. CTV is also
>> getting geared up here on the west coast. Don't know what their
>> status is in TO.
>
>
> Heh, the phrase "gearing up" likely applies to CTV here in Toronto as
> well, but so could the phrase "in their sweet time". Although,
> considering that their biggest HDTV ambition seems to be to plaster a
> big opaque CTV logo over US broadcasts... but maybe they'll do "Corner
> Gas" in HD. :-)

There is actually a fair bit of HDTV production happening in Vancouver
now and several of the studios are equipped to do it. There is a general
learning curve though. Even make-up artists have to learn to think in
HDTV terms!


--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

A false witness is worse than no witness at all.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 10:43:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Daniel Tonks" <dtonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM> wrote in message news:<40e33236$0$95553$a1866201@authen.newsreader.visi.com>...
> "spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:f06ef4a.0406301134.6625f527@posting.google.com...
> > Daniel thanks for replying to my query on the hdtv reception from
> > toronto yesterday. I ultimately got it working but the sinal for the
> > digitials is under 40 for most from buffalo. I suspect that I need to
> > upgrade my antenna to something similar to your Televes DAT45. Where
> > did you buy it locally or online? As well - where did you buy the
> > preamp that you mention?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> Heh, imported the antennas from the UK - made in Spain. Not cheap after
> shipping, but considered by many to be the best one available. However,
> there are some more local ones that are almost as good, I think from
> Winegard and Channel Master.
>
> The preamp - sorry it's a Channel Master 7778, not Channel Plus. Purchased
> everything but the antennas from the local(ish) antenna place, Andrews in
> Uxbridge.

Thanks Daniel - I am getting most of the stations fine now but the
strength of signal is pretty weak. they all basically disappear
during the day as well - maybe the heat/smorg effect but they are back
int he evening. I spoke with Jim Andrews and I am going to give the
Channel Master 4228 Antenna a try with a pre amp as well. Hopefully
that will pull in a stronger singal. Worth a shot. My next question
is then If i put two on the roof in diff directions, how would you
combine the singals so that I would not need a router. I cannot
combine 2 ant signals on the receiver so I need something else that
may work. Otherwise I may need a rotor as well.

Cheers,

jam
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 2:44:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Signals can be combined with an ordinary TV "splitter". There will be
some loss, of course, but that can be overcome by using two preamps, one
on each antenna. The antennas would be connected to the splitter
"OUTPUT"s, and the TV/STB connected to the "INPUT".

You could also use a simple antenna switch. You can get these that
operate via a remote.

spf00 wrote:
> "Daniel Tonks" <dtonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM> wrote in message news:<40e33236$0$95553$a1866201@authen.newsreader.visi.com>...
>
>>"spf00" <spf00@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>news:f06ef4a.0406301134.6625f527@posting.google.com...
>>
>>>Daniel thanks for replying to my query on the hdtv reception from
>>>toronto yesterday. I ultimately got it working but the sinal for the
>>>digitials is under 40 for most from buffalo. I suspect that I need to
>>>upgrade my antenna to something similar to your Televes DAT45. Where
>>>did you buy it locally or online? As well - where did you buy the
>>>preamp that you mention?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance!
>>
>>Heh, imported the antennas from the UK - made in Spain. Not cheap after
>>shipping, but considered by many to be the best one available. However,
>>there are some more local ones that are almost as good, I think from
>>Winegard and Channel Master.
>>
>>The preamp - sorry it's a Channel Master 7778, not Channel Plus. Purchased
>>everything but the antennas from the local(ish) antenna place, Andrews in
>>Uxbridge.
>
>
> Thanks Daniel - I am getting most of the stations fine now but the
> strength of signal is pretty weak. they all basically disappear
> during the day as well - maybe the heat/smorg effect but they are back
> int he evening. I spoke with Jim Andrews and I am going to give the
> Channel Master 4228 Antenna a try with a pre amp as well. Hopefully
> that will pull in a stronger singal. Worth a shot. My next question
> is then If i put two on the roof in diff directions, how would you
> combine the singals so that I would not need a router. I cannot
> combine 2 ant signals on the receiver so I need something else that
> may work. Otherwise I may need a rotor as well.
>
> Cheers,
>
> jam
Anonymous
July 2, 2004 4:10:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Walt Bertram" <wbertram@ptd.net> wrote in message
news:JLacnXGntbpnVnndUSdV9g@ptd.net...
> Signals can be combined with an ordinary TV "splitter". There will be
> some loss, of course, but that can be overcome by using two preamps, one
> on each antenna. The antennas would be connected to the splitter
> "OUTPUT"s, and the TV/STB connected to the "INPUT".
>
> You could also use a simple antenna switch. You can get these that
> operate via a remote.

Some splitters/joiners are better than others... I used a Channel Master
0538, which had the bonus of very low loss when joining identical signals
(as in a vertical or horizontal stack).

I have no experience with multiple directional antennas, and personally
would worry about not being able to "fine tweak" for those nights when
Buffalo is picky (everything is broadcast from different positions down
there). Does your rotor have a remote control? The Channel Master 9521A is
pretty convenient (sorry for sounding like a Channel Master ad here!)

--

Daniel Tonks
Remote Central - http://www.remotecentral.com/
!