Sign in with
Your question

media test failure, first start of new build

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2007 1:13:53 AM

i just started up my new build for the first time and i got a black screen that said intel boot agent and all the other stuff, and then it said media test failure, check cable, somehting like this http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000706.htm.
im assuming this means i have a bad hard drive or its not connected right? can anyone help me out with this. this is my build:
intel c2d e6300
2gb corsair ddr2
74 gb wd raptor
saphire x1900gt gfx card
antec true power trio psu
intel p965lt mobo

i currently have the raptor hooked up wiht a standard sata cable and the sata power, should i try hooking it up with molex instead?
February 7, 2007 2:30:02 AM

Quote:
i just started up my new build for the first time and i got a black screen that said intel boot agent and all the other stuff, and then it said media test failure, check cable

That means that your machine tried to boot from the Intel network card and couldn't. That's normal behavior if you haven't installed an OS on your hard drive yet.

Check the boot order in your BIOS. Normally, people set their BIOS to boot in this order: Floppy (if you have one) -> CD-ROM -> Hard Drive. You can also insert USB devices or the Network card as a boot device in there somewhere if you want. It's your personal preference to choose the boot order that works for you.

Adjust your BIOS so that you can boot from your CD-ROM, boot your Windows XP CD, and install Windows on your hard drive.
!