Fan died on Sapphire Radeon 9800SE

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
1. Buy a new fan for it
2. Buy a new video card
3. Do nothing

What you should do really depends on your $$ if you have the cash, now would probably be a good time to either do some upgrading or build a new rig. If you're tight on money then just get a new fan.

slacker190

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
You could mount a cpu fan onto the card somehow. But what you should really do is look into some aftermarket fans/coolers made for the radeon 9800. There's a large selection available Here

Just look for one that fits your budget, and that lists the radeon 9800 as compatible. I'm not an expert on VGA cooling by any means, but you should be able to take any of these generic fans and attach it to the card, or replace the heatsink.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Why would anyone build a new rig of a fan died?

Well if the rest of the rig dates from the 9800 days, it might be time for a new rig is what i believe he was hinting at...

Cant hardly say I blame him, he also mentioned replacing the fan as the FIRST option.

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Why would anyone build a new rig of a fan died?

Can't I just buy an aftermarket fan?

Like an aftermarket CPU fan?

Well, if you have a 9800, you're computer is clearly not up to date by any means. So, if something breaks it's just more incentive to build a new one. I'm not saying that's what should have to do, but it's an option. If you don't want to do that than either get a new card or fan.

hombrewdude

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005
I found an aftermarket cooling fan for $9.99

I am putting off upgrading because it will be a major upgrade.

My RAM will be no good
My CPU and MB is already max'd out.
I need a new case...

I do have new SATA harddrives (I am running a controller)

I don't do games.. just photo imaging videos and such

echoplex

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Ummm...I'd more concerned for the reason that if your fan died, maybe your GPU might be fried?? If the card was running with a fan that wasn't working, the chip may be heat damaged...I think a new card would save a lot of headache if you need the computer anytime soon....

slacker190

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Hell, if the computer still works, why not spend $10 to get a perfectly (assuming GPU isnt fried) good computer working. Even if its not up to date, someone has a use for it. Sure, it sucks on modern games, but for general use, itll be adequate, or slightly slow for video editing.

For video editing, it might be worth your while to update your rig, the processor is certainly much worse than a modern system.