Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Just bought a Computer for my brother (core2duo)

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2007 2:19:31 AM

and so far, Im impressed on how fast it did boot & stuff, seems these new Western250GB sata surely are faster than my IDE250Gb's on my AMD machine, also the cpu surely helps...
only thing I didnt like is..

Idle temperature reported by bios was 60°C and I freaked, then went to download the intel thermal monitor program and it repored 40-49°C temp betwen cores..

I supose this isnt a problem witht he cpu, but with bad installed heatsink (I can easily say this since once I opened this assembled computer, some cables were actually hitting the cpu fan lol, but still after fixing that, the cpu was still hot.. )

anyway...
installation for windows was a breeze, just a few minor bugs when installing windows xp cus no windowsupdate yet (no wireless and router too far away) , and I suspect these bugs will dissapear once I Get the latests patches.

model of core 2 duo is Allendale 2.1 Ghz 2 MB Cache.
2 GB of corsair DDR-800
2x 250 GB sata Western digital.
7300gs MSI NVIDIA

so my question is and I want to be 100% sure (I've read other posts.. but never had a nice reply cause of the constant amd vs intel bashers.. and other moron derailing the conversations to increase their post count.. ).
the questions are:

1.- "whats the max temperature a core 2 duo can handle witouth throttling or getting damaged?"

2.- Do you recommend me to move the heatsink and see if its seated properly? (im not sure what kind of paste the heatsinks of intel uses, but I suspect its a 1 use, and if I remove it; id have to get thermal paste right?)

More about : bought computer brother core2duo

February 7, 2007 2:43:05 AM

Quote:

1.- "whats the max temperature a core 2 duo can handle witouth throttling or getting damaged?"

2.- Do you recommend me to move the heatsink and see if its seated properly? (im not sure what kind of paste the heatsinks of intel uses, but I suspect its a 1 use, and if I remove it; id have to get thermal paste right?)

1. 85°C, but i wouldnt even turn on my pc if the temps where even remotly close to that.

2. I recommend that you get a new hsf, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro will lower your temps by a considerable amount, and they only cost about $30. You will have to get a new tube of thermal paste if you remove the hsf.

40°C isnt too bad a temp for a C2D, i would say the hsf is working fine, but a new hsf couldnt hurt.