Hi guys, I have a problem with my X1900GT

Here's my system setup -

Powercolor X1900GT on Catalyst 7.1 Drivers
Topower 500W PSU
AM2 3500+ CPU
MSI K9NGM-L Mobo
1 Gb 667MHz Patriot RAM
Win XP OS

I haven't overclocked the card; it is running at stock speeds.

When I play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic(patched to latest version), the screen sometimes freezes in the midst of playing and blacks out for about 3-4 minutes. I can hear the fan on the card get instantly louder while this happens. After a few seconds it quietens down, and 3-4 minutes later the game resumes at where it was before the screen froze.

This happens every 10-15 minutes of playing so it is quite irritating. I tried lowering the settings(HDR, AA, AF, no shadows, etc) but the problem persists. What might be the problem?

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
I think it might be your card over heating, or maybe not enough power from your power supply.

I haven't overclocked the card at all, I imagine the stock cooler is adept enough to handle it. X1900GT was supposed to be betn 70-80C when running 3D apps anyway.

I calculated with various online power calculators before buying my current PSU, and it never got close to 500W. I don't overclock my CPU or RAM, and everything runs at stock voltage. The efficiency of my PSU is at least 70%. And yes, the 12V rail supplies more than enough, according to Powercolor specifications.

Anybody experienced a similar problem before?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
sounds like heat to me. or GPU recover kicking in for no paticular reason?

use something like ATI tool and run something intensive, keep close eye on your temps.

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
sounds like heat to me. or GPU recover kicking in for no paticular reason?

use something like ATI tool and run something intensive, keep close eye on your temps.

Brought the card to vendor for testing, he says there's something wrong with the RAM. Still under warranty so I RMA-ed.

Thanks for the help anyway.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
I haven't overclocked the card at all, I imagine the stock cooler is adept enough to handle it. X1900GT was supposed to be betn 70-80C when running 3D apps anyway.
Those temps are fine, my runs at similar temps during games too.

I got that few times too, until I got rid of the Catalyst. Since you RMA'd, then hopefully your new card won't be causing issues.

STUBBY

Distinguished
May 24, 2004
Those temps are fine, my runs at similar temps during games too.

I got that few times too, until I got rid of the Catalyst. Since you RMA'd, then hopefully your new card won't be causing issues.

You changed to Tray Tools? How was Catalyst causing the problem? It kept reverting to stock speeds?