intel 965p or nVidia 650i

OChardcore

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Im building a new e6400 core 2 duo pc on a budget so im in the range of a $130ish MOBO so for me its come down to 2 diff mobos. First is a Asus which has the 650i chipset and is SLI 8x, 8x. Second is the Gigabyte which has the 965p express its no SLI tho but Honestly at this point im not planning to run dual cards, so the SLi not a biggie, but in the futrue it would be nice if i decide to run dual cards to allready have the MOBO to do it but oh well. I just wanna know which is the best for gaming performance/ overclocking the 965 or the 650i.

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Ahh, I just had a look around and saw the 650i boards....I didn't even know they existed, shows how up to date I am.

Good question though I wouldn't mind knowing the same thing

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Which do you think is Better Chipset for gaming/OCing Intel's 965p or the nVidia 650i ?

I'd go for the 650i. Don't worry about the 8x PCI-E lanes, they're more than enough to run ANY card.
I agree. Regardless of the SLI or not, the nVidia chipsets are always Superb! I really don't think you can go wron ghere.

Also I have read a couple of reviews saying this board is great for OCing at a mid-range price :)

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Which do you think is Better Chipset for gaming/OCing Intel's 965p or the nVidia 650i ?

I'd go for the 650i. Don't worry about the 8x PCI-E lanes, they're more than enough to run ANY card.
I agree. Regardless of the SLI or not, the nVidia chipsets are always Superb! I really don't think you can go wron ghere.

Also I have read a couple of reviews saying this board is great for OCing at a mid-range price :)

Then again, some p965 can reach around 460FSB unless i'm mistaken? Not sure exactly how far the 650i can go, i've just heard it's good for the price.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Both will OC very well, but that OC won't really help your gaming performance.

So both will give great performance boosts to your CPU OC, and both will give great gaming performance. Judging the difference will be like splitting hairs. The 650i will give SLI support though, if you're into that.

I've often wondered if I should go with a 650i to get support for dual cards so I can run 3 monitors.......which I can't do on my 965 board. :cry:

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Here's a link about the 650i you might want to check up on.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1972653&frmKeyword=&STARTPAGE=92&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

There is a bit overkill listed on cooling - the southbridge doesn't run nearly as hot as I thought it would so you can use any dinky heatsink on it to cover it while you overclock (even then, some people have gone without it with no problems but not recommended.) Salvage old computers or just buy a cheapo one. Also, you should probably buy a small fan to screw into the stock heatsink of the northbridge - that one does run hot. Really hot. You can overclock without adding additional cooling but honestly, every bit counts for this one. I used the combination COOLER MASTER SLC-S41-U1 for cooling. Basically, I unscrewed the top fan and used that on the NB and the heatsink on the SB. The NB still may need additional cooling or good airflow beyond that depending on other factors. Be careful when applying the fan or take off the heatsink entirely to reapply AS5 or whatever after you clean up. Probably cheaper to buy a small heatsink with a small fan instead of that particular one. Just remember, if you want to use sli, you'll have to get something that isn't in the way of your second card.

I could have easily opened some of my old comps and swiped off fans from the those though. I eventually did which made some of my additional cooling purchases invalid. Took apart an old Antec smartpower PSU that was dying and redid some wire/connectors for example for some really high powered but relatively quiet fans.

If you shop at newegg, do not buy the arctic freezer pro 7. It's not worth 60 dollars as that's tuniq tower price range.

The latest bios (401) is great. Lots of people love it, me included. I did have to reset the CMOS after because I couldn't get into the bios even though my computer booted fine. Just reset the CMOS to save yourself the headache after updating.