Motherboard, ram or graphics card-which one doesn't work.

bear23

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Dear all,
I was working away in sunny Aus (raining actually, though it was sunny at the time) when we had a local power failure. Computer shuts down instantly etc
Power comes back on and my good computer (not the old thing I'm using now) won't power back up. I've got nothing, no fans no lights, no noise, nothing. Swapped my PSU into the old computer, it works fine. Checked the power switches by pluggin into old computer they work fine.
I'm left with three or four components it could be
Mother board (Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6)
CPU (E6700)
RAM (Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 2GB)
or graphics card (Saphire 9600XTX)
I figure that it must be the motherboard as I figure that I should get something happening if its bad RAM, Graphics or CPU (Am I right in assuming this?)
Any adice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

fred_likes_fish

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
If nothing is happening at all then i'd probably say it was your motherboard.

What i would do, to be absolutely sure, would be to pull apart your computer and test each part separately.

Set up your motherboard on a bench with the power supply connected and no ram in, just the cpu, and hook up the pc speaker. Then short the power pins with a screw driver and see if the cpu fan spins up and if you get any beeps.
If you get beeps then try one stick of ram and see if it beeps, then the other.
Then try the graphics card and see if you can see the bios screen.

This way you can tell which part is causing the problem.

If possible, try components in another system.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
Do you have your system speaker connected? Try hooking one up- you should get beep codes if your CPU, RAM, or GPU is fried. I agree that it is probably the motherboard though. That's what you get for living in OZ, clearly anyplace it rains when sunny is incompatable with modern technology.