evga 680 + raid 0 please help..noob inside

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
hello all..

i have read the faq but it doesnt tell how exactly how set a raid 0 on this motherboard with 2 raptor WD 150 giga...what cables do i need ? do i need to plug each hard drive on sata ports ? like when im not using raid ? or can i use these same cables to plug them on the 2 channels of the controller 0 ? and must i really choose the size of the clusters ? or can it be done automatically ? and if im not using a temporally hard drive must i install first windows xp or vista in order to set a raid 0 for my 2 hard drive ? or can i go into bios once hd are plugged and set raid 0 and then install windows xp or vista using the evga cdrom with the raid driver on it or maybe a floppy disk with raid drivers ? or maybe i dont need any raid drivers ?
thanks to whoever will help me.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
you and raid were never meant to meet each other. :roll:

drop it and run away quickly. :lol:

if you insist on using raid then following will answer some of your questions.

what cables do i need ? do i need to plug each hard drive on sata ports ?
uh are you serious? yes you have to plug each drive in. think about it, how the hell is your system supposed to talk to your hard drive if it isnt plugged in :?: :?: :?:

must i really choose the size of the clusters ? or can it be done automatically ?
leave the cluster size alone. take whatever the controller gives you as the default. you can play with this later when you understand raid better.

and if im not using a temporally hard drive must i install first windows xp or vista in order to set a raid 0 for my 2 hard drive ? or can i go into bios once hd are plugged and set raid 0 and then install windows xp or vista using the evga cdrom with the raid driver on it or maybe a floppy disk with raid drivers ? or maybe i dont need any raid drivers ?
first you need to setup the raid using the onboard firmware.

second, make the floppy. at the very beginning of the windows installation at the bottom of the screen, it will ask you to press "F6" to install addition drivers. you need to do this first and install the raid drivers off the evga floppy you created.

then from that point on the installation is just like any other windows installation.

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
hehe thanks man for the help :)

i was thinking i had to plug my hd in some raid controllers (hardware ones) but apparently i dont have to cause there arent any on evga 680.
yes im a big noob at raid thing but will get better :)
anyway with your help i will be able to raid 0 my dual hd raptor 150 giga, thx !