AMD's 45nm Opterons Scheduled for 2008

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
link

I’m convinced that the Q2 2008 timeframe will be met but with poor availability …
Anyway this is a big one for AMD because they will finally begin the process of matching Intel in manufacturing technology , which will be very important in the future.

AMD needs this if they want to remain a serious player in the microprocessors business.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
link

I’m convinced that the Q2 2008 timeframe will be met but with poor availability …
Anyway this is a big one for AMD because they will finally begin the process of matching Intel in manufacturing technology , which will be very important in the future.

AMD needs this if they want to remain a serious player in the microprocessors business.

AMD senior vice president of technology development Douglas Grose claimed "We'll be producing early products probably in Q2 of 2008, with full production in the second half."

Yikes! Now we're talking 18 months from now! Will anyone really care by then?

Moonskin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
This is big ... because Intel will launch its 45 nm processors in Q1 and this would mean that the historical advantage that Intel had in production process will almost vanish

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
good. i'd love to see amd catch up to intel in manufacturing and development power. what amd really NEEDS right now is some money to build more fabs

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
This is big ... because Intel will launch its 45 nm processors in Q1 and this would mean that the historical advantage that Intel had in production process will almost vanish

Intel are launching 45nm in Q3 2007....

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Come on, this is all over the news...2007 (H2) launch with full HVM in Q1 2008. Q3 is definitely a reasonable estimate.

Speculation would be...can Intel actually release it anytime after Q1 and will they simply wait until right after Barcelona launches if Barcelona is a real threat? If Barcelona turns out to be fizz, maybe they'll wait for AMD's desktop port in order to launch Penryn. Intel is in a very good position and I'm willing to bet their launch date isn't only based upon when the technology is actually ready.

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Come on, this is all over the news...2007 (H2) launch with full HVM in Q1 2008. Q3 is definitely a reasonable estimate.

Speculation would be...can Intel actually release it anytime after Q1 and will they simply wait until right after Barcelona launches if Barcelona is a real threat? If Barcelona turns out to be fizz, maybe they'll wait for AMD's desktop port in order to launch Penryn. Intel is in a very good position and I'm willing to bet their launch date isn't only based upon when the technology is actually ready.

yaaaay, someone who understands that Intel does not need to fight themselves.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
if my memory serves me correctly, amd was pwning intel's 65nm technology with 90nm technology. this means that either intel sucks, or amd's architecture is really that much better. now we all know intel does not suck at making chips. and all of you intel fan boys need to realize that without amd, intel can release a new chip ever 8 years and no one be able to do anything about it. it would be like microsoft. no one challenges them so theres no reason for them to speed up the process of putting out new versions of windows. without amd, whose going to make intel release new chips?

if we have learned anything, history repeats itself. amd's k7 outperformed the p3 chips, so the p4's came out and outperformed that (when the p4 chips came out, we all thought they were the absolute best). then amd released the k8, then intel released the c2d...which are the best on the market, hands down. weather amd releases something that will outperform the c2d or not, if amd does not release anything, then intel can start taking their sweet time releasing 45nm and so on.

Ranman68k

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006

It was also all over the news that it would not be released until Q1 2008. So what is it, Q3 2007 or Q1 2008? I have no idea.

But one thing I do know... Competing stories means that their is still some "speculation" out there. :wink: