Sign in with
Your question

Need help building another dream system

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2007 8:50:10 AM

Hi there,

I’m building a system for my dad and he wants good components so I’ve made a list of the parts I’m going to put together:

Case: Thermaltake Armor Silver Aluminum w/ 25 fan [Already ordered]

PSU: Enermax Liberty 620W modular
or
PSU: [Input your recommendation][Good brand with enough power for this rig and its upgrades listed below]

MoBo: ASUS P5W64 W Professional (975X) (Quad PCI-E) [Already bought]

CPU: Intel C2D E6600 (I’ll try to get near 3 Ghz ;) ) [Already bought]

Mem: Kingston DDR2-800 2x1GB Low Latency 4-4-4-12 KHX6400D2LLK2/2G [Already ordered]

GFX: Shapphire ATi Radeon X1950 Pro 256 Mb (High end from ATi and is not so pricey as other x1950 ~$200)(and only takes 1 slot!!) [Already ordered]

HDD0: Raptor X 150GB (a no brainer)
or
HDD0: [I don’t think you can choose something different ;) ]

---
Till here it’s what I’ve chosen for now, later on I plan to put more things:

GFX2: Another x1950 Pro for CF (With internal bridge) or a R600 or even cards that will apear later.
HDD1: A Seagate 7200.10 500 or 750 GB or even bigger by then
HDD2: Another Raptor 150 for raid 0 (This is goin to rock :D )
Flash Card reader: My daddy wants one, I don’t care, lol
A PCIe TV card: This is why I chose a Quad PCIe Motherboard.
---

(List updated as of 8/2/7)

Sorry for the long post but I need your comments as I’ll be buying those components in 0, 1 or 2 days from now and I don’t want to be wrong

I forgot to say that my dad won’t play any games so the X1950 is just for being future-proof and to let me be able to play sneak some new games at a decent resolution (Maybe 16x12).

Thanks in advance

More about : building dream system

February 7, 2007 2:14:37 PM

Tell Dad that the old expert said to save ur money for 2 years cause 8 cores on a CPU will be here.
Related resources
February 7, 2007 2:47:40 PM

Get an nVidia 8800 GTS or if you can afford it, GTX.
Much more horsepower and DX10.
Why would anyone spend $300 on a DX9-only card now?
February 7, 2007 2:51:07 PM

Seems solid enough.

You mentioned wanting to overclock your CPU to 3.4Mhz - make sure you get a top of the line heatsink and fan for that serious of an overclock.

The Turniq Tower seems very popular and capable. I would not go forward with the stock HSF.

I do not overclock - much - and the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 works very well for me, though it will not get me safely up to 3.4 Mhz.

Good luck.
February 7, 2007 6:29:12 PM

First of all: Thank you all for answering, keep it comin ;) !!

replies:

Quote:
Tell Dad that the old expert said to save ur money for 2 years cause 8 cores on a CPU will be here.

Sorry but he is not able to wait that long because he is now on a PIII 550 with 384 MB RAM with unknown bus speed, unknown PSU wattage and unable to play with a HDD higher than 32GB (I know how to override this but its a mess)
Also, he has already started buying things, so there is no way to stop it ;) 

I'm on it, I'm looking for a PSU with CF or at least SLI capabilities (Thow PCIe power connectors) and most importantly, to be Modular :) 
Hey, mpilchfamily do you have some time for this thread?

Quote:
Get an nVidia 8800 GTS or if you can afford it, GTX.
Much more horsepower and DX10.
Why would anyone spend $300 on a DX9-only card now?

I don't have a SLI chipset so nVidia is not an option although those cards really rock.
I don't care about DX10 nor Vista, XP powaaaah :) 
Ooops, yea, its $300, I was think¡ng it was cheap while I was looking at the X1950XTX $450+, I think I should look for a cheaper one, any recommendations?

Quote:
Seems solid enough.

You mentioned wanting to overclock your CPU to 3.4Mhz - make sure you get a top of the line heatsink and fan for that serious of an overclock.

The Turniq Tower seems very popular and capable. I would not go forward with the stock HSF.

I do not overclock - much - and the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 works very well for me, though it will not get me safely up to 3.4 Mhz.

Good luck.

Lol!

Well, my dad doesnt allow me to OC much, maybe I exceeded myself when I said 3.4 Ghz so I think I'll try to OC to max with stock HSF and then I'll choose an aftermarket HSF.

BTW, does anyone know how far can the 6600 be pushed (stable) with the stock HSF?

Good recommendation with the Tuniq, I'll check it out although I'm a fan of thermalright :D 

Don't stop replying, please!! :) 
February 7, 2007 7:28:09 PM

I'd go with the pro. Also too bad you already bought the mobo. Quite expensive.

You will eventually care about vista and DX10. The only future proofing that any x1950 will do is to serve as a physics card once they are supported to do so. Then you can move up to a R600 or something else in the next generation from ATI. By the time you'll want to crossfire you it doesn't make sence to do it any other way.

It would still be smarter to get a 8800 gts for 355 and that is much faster than anything ATI has for xp right now and it is future proof.
February 7, 2007 8:25:15 PM

SLI certification means nothing much other than the part supports SLI parts. i.e. an SLI psu will have 2 or more PCI-E power cables for 2 video cards. Works for CrossFire as well.
February 8, 2007 8:24:49 AM

Quote:
I'd go with the pro. Also too bad you already bought the mobo. Quite expensive.

You will eventually care about vista and DX10. The only future proofing that any x1950 will do is to serve as a physics card once they are supported to do so. Then you can move up to a R600 or something else in the next generation from ATI. By the time you'll want to crossfire you it doesn't make sence to do it any other way.

It would still be smarter to get a 8800 gts for 355 and that is much faster than anything ATI has for xp right now and it is future proof.

I had thought the MoBo was OK as the 975X chipset is older than 965 but more mature. This is able to OC well and I found at a local store cheaper than I thought.

Yes, I think I eventually fall into Vista (In fact I am registered for beta 2) so I've changed my mind to a cheaper card but without forgettin that the 256 memory bus I like, so I've chosen the same card with 256MB, much cheaper.

The 8800 is more future-proof as you say but my dad still insists that he will only "work" so He wouldn't let me buy that card.

Quote:
SLI certification means nothing much other than the part supports SLI parts. i.e. an SLI psu will have 2 or more PCI-E power cables for 2 video cards. Works for CrossFire as well.

Ok, what I thought so I'm able to choose more PSUs from the list, but as the PSU I had already chosen has +600W and 32A, is modular and has 2 PCIe connectors I think it's fine if noone says anything againt it.

Thank you for the replies, and keep it comin! ;) 
February 9, 2007 9:07:03 AM

So no one has any comments on the Enermax Liberty series PSU :?:
February 9, 2007 9:20:43 AM

The Enermax got a good reveiw here.
Quote:
Enermax offers its first modular power supply with the ELT500AWT that also comes with power cables nicely packed inside a well-designed roll-up pouch. At a price of under $100, its buyers can take home a solid power supply with an efficiency rating of 82% at medium load (50% of rated power).
From 5 Power Supplies Get the Full Juice Treatment
I got the 550W model, still waiting for the rest of the parts for new build
February 9, 2007 10:42:34 AM

Thank you for the link, I don't know how I skipped reading that review (Whoa!, written 2 days ago!, now I know...) the link has been very useful.
I'm convinced, I'll get the 620W.

BTW: Your signature link has also been very helpful, it shows that the Liberty 620W unit is XFire certified for x1900 & x1950 CF systems:) 
!